#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

Time will tell if its a good idea or not. DSC_12851_zps7p6sfono.jpg

I used Henry's tropi-cool at 59 dollars a gallon. I knew this would be a messy job but somehow I underestimated just how messy. I have a new set of painting clothes now :) Wouldn't have been quite so bad if I hadn't decided to go around the outer edge first but I wanted that to get a double coat.

Being in a hurry didn't help. I did this after work with rain forecast for the next day. I started peeling up all the loose sealant before using a stiff nylon brush which got out a lot of the loose sealant that didn't just peel up. Next I used a commercial cleaner and a soft brush to scrub the whole roof. Rinsed well and popped the rear to let the water run off. The sun was out with a light breeze so it didn't take long to dry. Next step was to mask off the camper with blue tape. You can see I left about an 1/8th of an inch overlap. Then on to the application. I used a 2" paintbrush and two rollers, one standard, one extra thin.

I should mention I did not remove the solar panels. Because of the way they're installed its a major pita to take them off. Should I have waited for a weekend of nice weather for this project? Sure but I'm not that bright.

Here is with the max trax reinstalled.

DSC_12841_zpsmmnjaqq8.jpg

As forecast, it did rain the next day so I had to wait another day to go out and recoat whatever got missed, running right up to the recommeded 48hr recoat time. 

As you can see, I got some coating on the panels, the rack bars, etc.

DSC_12811_zpsssvamqtt.jpg

DSC_12801_zpsvd0upp7w.jpg

I do expect it will add a bit of hail protection. Supposed to last a lifetime. If for some I need to remove a screw? That might get interesting. Replace the vent? I hope I never have to find out.  I'm pretty sure it won't leak now but we'll have wait a few years before I'm ready to recommend this for others.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

What material did you use and how was it applied?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

http://www.homedepot...HS073/205049553

Paintbrush and 1/2" nap rollers.

I should mention, the paintbrush I dipped, for the rollers I just poured out decent sized puddle and spread it out.

Btw, I had about 1/4 gallon left over.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

I think I have this stuff on the roof of my 2005 Hawk.  Looks very similar.  Removing screws and such to mount my solar panels was no problem.  I resealed any breaks in the surface I made by using Dicor.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Craig,keep us informed on how it works.

Looks pretty good.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Maybe I"ll have to try and undo a screw. I sure can't get it off anything else. 

#7 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

So Craig,

Why did you do this in the first place? Were there leaks? For looks? It does look pretty smart!

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:32 AM

Camper is nearly 14 years old. Time for some maintenance. The old sealants were no longer doing the job. Some just lifted right off. Nothing lasts forever and if it didn't leak now it soon would. Most people do it the hard way, pull each screw and seal them individually with new sealant. I'm lazy and thought I'd try this way. The tropi cool is nothing like the stuff from the old days. Its flexible yet incredibly tough. Should help keep the camper a bit cooler though I have no idea what it'll look like after a good dusting. Will it rinse off better? Dunno. I figured someone should be a guinea pig though so hopefully when the time rolls around that your roof needs maintenance, and it will, we'll know if this is a good option or not. 

I have had a couple leaks and I patched them as best I could. I thought its time to either reseal the traditional way or try something else. Would I use it on a one piece roof? Probably not but, if this stuff is as good as they claim it might be worth doing right off the bat, before it gets more difficult with all the crap we toss up there, solar and so on.

Of course you could always pay someone to do it. http://www.thervroof...er-rv-coat.html I like the instructions "do not ingest" yeah. 

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info.

There is one follow on question.
4.75gal - .25gal ==> 4.5 gal. Assuming 7 lb/gal ==> ~32lbs added to weight to lift roof.
So, are you going to spend additional hours in gym pumping iron? Or, are you going to replace the gas springs with some 8 to 10 lbs stronger? :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

Whoa, that would be heavy. I linked the 5gal just because it was easy. Actual application was .75 gallons. Rereading my post I see I did not make that clear. Sorry. Its not enough weight that I can feel it lifting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users