#1 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi everyone. Long time reader here but haven't posted much. I've been researching and looking for an Alaskan awhile and now I've acquired an 8ft CO for my old 62 Chevy truck. It's a 1976 model in pretty fair condition with good bones as a starting point. It needs a good cleaning and detail as well as work on the hydraulics. Due to age all the exterior weather sealing needs to be replaced. And I'm sure the Pirelli seal also.

Thankfully, I see no water staining inside. This supports the previous owners claim that it was kept indoors when not in use.

The propane and electrical need work for sure. Haven't checked the water system yet. Should be a fun little camper to get up and running once again.

My plans are to customize the camper for use with the 62 Chevy for a long road trip through Oregon next year. The truck is nearly ready. It still needs an axle swap for good highway gearing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Alaskan small 1.jpg

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

well congratulations....this is an Alaskan buying weekend...you're the second now and maybe a third....if I get a note back to the positive....(somebody else was chomping at the bit for that one)

where did you find it?...I'm going to bet Sonoma...

Like I said to one other buyer this am...."Welcome to the obsession".....LOL

6 or 283 in the truck?....nice old stepside ;)

Edited by Rusty, 10 September 2017 - 04:55 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hello 62C20
Congrats on your Alaskan camper. In my past life I had a 64 step side. I think your combo looks good.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

Thanks. Yes it is the one from Sonoma. Apparently I was quite a few people down the list of respondents but was the first to leave a phone number. So I got to have a look at it first.

Rusty, I've been reading a lot of your info here and that will be a great help going forward.

The truck has been extensively modernized under the skin. The steering and braking systems are out of a 72 C20. The engine is a TBI 350 out of a 1990 K1500. I have a build thread going on another site but for some reason I can't seem to include the link in a post here. If posting a link is allowed, I'll try again to get it up if anyone is interested.

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks. Yes it is the one from Sonoma. Apparently I was quite a few people down the list of respondents but was the first to leave a phone number. So I got to have a look at it first.

Rusty, I've been reading a lot of your info here and that will be a great help going forward.

The truck has been extensively modernized under the skin. The steering and braking systems are out of a 72 C20. The engine is a TBI 350 out of a 1990 K1500. I have a build thread going on another site but for some reason I can't seem to include the link in a post here. If posting a link is allowed, I'll try again to get it up if anyone is interested.

There is no restriction on linking to another forum. Copy the URL, highlight the text you want to be the link trigger, then click on the chain icon and paste in the URL. Or, just paste the URL as a line in your comment.

Congrats on the camper!!

I am haunted by waters

#6 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Lets try this

http://67-72chevytru...ad.php?t=703583

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

Wow, that's quite a build! Thanks for sharing! Nice skills and work!

I am haunted by waters

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

I'm in Santa Rosa.....I could smell it from here...LOL

Nice build on the truck....the way it stands tells a story

I'm sure the camper will have a story as well....congrats

Edited by Rusty, 10 September 2017 - 10:59 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#9 62C20

62C20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, Ca.

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for checking out the truck thread.
I spent some time this afternoon looking more closely at the camper. I found some wood damage along the curved trim piece on the right side of the cabover. I was able to install longer screws of the same diameter and get a good bite. This particular area has the most degraded sealant.
I have a defined scope of work to be done to this camper and it does not include a full restoration.
I only want to keep the rain and wind out, the stove needs to work to make coffee and the top needs to go up and down as smoothly as possible.
To start, I checked the tops' jack oil resevoir. I stuck my pinky finger in the hole never touched oil. So tomorrow I will buy some oil and top it off and see if there is an improvement in the way the top goes up.

1966 Chevy K20 flatbed

2017 Ford F-250XL 4X4

2018 ATC Cougar

#10 hangster

hangster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:51 AM

very cool looking setup..congrats.

Have rags ready for the initiation raise