• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

Looking for input from some of the folks with rigs out there. In my looking I’ve mainly been considering the Eagle, Ranger, and Hawk. My goal for the camper is for a good trail head rig to get down two tracks and such. Originally I sort of dismissed the grandby due to size but in reality we’re only talking 2’ feet of camper/truck compared to rolling a hawk. In my head I think sticking with a mid sized rig would provide better access and mileage to keep me out there. Am I selling myself short so to speak? Biggest issue is whatever truck I end up with I want to at least have an extended cab able to fit people in it so with 8' on the back we're talking some decent length at that point... :confused: You smaller rig guys, do you think you’d ever want a larger one or is there no way it’d work for you? You bigger rig guys, are you at times wishing you were rolling a smaller footprint?

#2 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

Heya pods8

I have a Hawk on a 2004 DC Tundra. For 2 people it's ideal...3 gets slightly crowded. (I also have 2 dogs muckin up the equation)

The Grandby is longer...but if I'm not mistaken..isn't that extra 2 ft a closet or a crapper in most units? (anyone?) If that's the case..I see no reason to have that extra 2 ft myself....

now if it were actually living space/space you could move around in...that would be sweet and very advantageous.

If you are serious/interested in that $1200 Grandby in Denver I am going down the hill in the next few days and could possibly take a look at it if that would be of any help to you.

mtn

#3 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

IMO,

It depends upon the truck. A *Keystone*, for us, is too big. The Hawk is on the small side of just right. We have a 3/4 ton short bed truck. The Hawk leaves about six inches of bed, so a [edit] Grandby, not a [end of edit] Keystone would hang off about a foot.

When we had the half-ton, we were about 500 lbs over limit when loaded for camping. With empty camper on truck, I still didn't like the feel of making panic stops. So at that time, the Hawk was on the high side of just right.

If we had a bigger camper today, I am not sure we would carry that much more stuff. We would just have more space to spread it out in, and that would be more comfy.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

Heya pods8
I have a Hawk on a 2004 DC Tundra. For 2 people it's ideal...3 gets slightly crowded. (I also have 2 dogs muckin up the equation)

For the most part its just me and the little lady. At times we might have another couple cram in at a snow camping trail head (warm weather then can just set a tent right off the bat :P). Eventually we'll likely have a kid or two but for a number of years they aren't going to take up too much space, which is why this seems a bit overkill.

The Grandby is longer...but if I'm not mistaken..isn't that extra 2 ft a closet or a crapper in most units? (anyone?) If that's the case..I see no reason to have that extra 2 ft myself....

now if it were actually living space/space you could move around in...that would be sweet and very advantageous.

Its only a closet/crapper/whatever if you leave the cabinetry stock... :D If had something this big I'd put I dinnet across the front of the camper using a fold out bed along the passenger side for the seat. Driver cabinets would be propane box, furnace, sink, tank. On the passenger rear I'd see about mounting an engel fridge and such. At least that is off the top of my head.

If you are serious/interested in that $1200 Grandby in Denver I am going down the hill in the next few days and could possibly take a look at it if that would be of any help to you.

mtn

I have interest mainly because its in good shape at a seemingly good price. If it was a hawk I'd be all over it. I appreciate the offer and if my interest becomes more concrete I'll be in touch.

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

IMO,

It depends upon the truck. A *Keystone*, for us, is too big. The Hawk is on the small side of just right. We have a 3/4 ton short bed truck. The Hawk leaves about six inches of bed, so a Keystone would hang off about a foot.

When we had the half-ton, we were about 500 lbs over limit when loaded for camping. With empty camper on truck, I still didn't like the feel of making panic stops. So at that time, the Hawk was on the high side of just right.

If we had a bigger camper today, I am not sure we would carry that much more stuff. We would just have more space to spread it out in, and that would be more comfy.

Did you mean grandby up there? A keystone is 9' which is even longer (thus if a hawk is hanging 6" a keystone would be about 2.5' off right?).

Thats another thing, I'd likely lean towards a half ton long bed if I picked up a grandby think it would be taxing that rig a bit too much?

#6 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:48 PM

Did you mean grandby up there? A keystone is 9' which is even longer (thus if a hawk is hanging 6" a keystone would be about 2.5' off right?).

Sorry, I will edit the post to reflect the change.

#7 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

In hindsight, the longer camper would have suited my family better. As soon as you have a baby or toddler in your camper, you need more room! It is my opinion that the extra 18 inches hanging off the rear of my 1 ton (or even a 3/4 ton) won't make much difference in terms of drive ability or departure angle.

But you are considering, maybe, a Tundra size truck. Making weight and CG location much trickier. Again, in this case, I think I'd go for the longer camper, but put it on the long bed truck.

Once you get more than 2 people in the hawk size camper it gets tight! Not just in terms of people space but storage, also. Think about that.

If I had time and money, I'd start fresh with an ATC Cougar shell. I'd build a full 4 person dinette (seating at shelf height?) in the rear with galley in front. I know the dinette would interfere with the door, but it pushes CG forward. Such that CG would be a non-issue--I think--even on a 1/2 ton.

Just my 0.02.

SB

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

Hmmm, some good arguments for extra space for others in there when needed. Main concern at this point I guess is being a big truck trying to wander down tighter trails (and turn around).

In hindsight, the longer camper would have suited my family better. As soon as you have a baby or toddler in your camper, you need more room! It is my opinion that the extra 18 inches hanging off the rear of my 1 ton (or even a 3/4 ton) won't make much difference in terms of drive ability or departure angle.

But you are considering, maybe, a Tundra size truck. Making weight and CG location much trickier. Again, in this case, I think I'd go for the longer camper, but put it on the long bed truck.

Once you get more than 2 people in the hawk size camper it gets tight! Not just in terms of people space but storage, also. Think about that.

If I had time and money, I'd start fresh with an ATC Cougar shell. I'd build a full 4 person dinette (seating at shelf height?) in the rear with galley in front. I know the dinette would interfere with the door, but it pushes CG forward. Such that CG would be a non-issue--I think--even on a 1/2 ton.

Just my 0.02.

SB

If I got this for trucks I'd likely consider F-150 crew w/ long bed or dodge 1500 crew w/long bed. IF (big IF) I found an affordable dodge 2500 with the cumins I'd get it but that is likely out of the price range I'm looking to spend (not huge on buying really expensive rigs with high payments/long payoff time lines).

The nice thing I like about trying to find a decent shape older rig for an affordable price is I basically consider it a "shell" so I won't feel bad about ripping anything out and reconfiguring it as I see fit.

#9 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

Tough choice. I have an extended cab short bed with the Grandby so it hangs off the back the length of the tailgate. I did own a Hawk before on the same truck. I preferred driving with the Hawk and it just looked right on the truck. With the Grandby I needed to add airbags (1/2 ton truck) I can feel the extra weight when driving, but it's not really a deal breaker. With the Hawk it was always packed to the gills, every nook and cranny had something in it. With the Grandby I always seem to have room left over, thats nice. It's also nice when your in the camper to have the extra room.

The issue of off road. I think the Grandby on a short bed truck really does not effect off road ability. If the angles you will be driving on would allow the tailgate to hit the ground when in the down position then the Grandby is too long for you. If not then I think you would have more ability with the short bed and the camper overhang, than with the long bed with no overhang. You really reduce your mobility when you extend the wheel base. Also "high centering" is a bigger issue with the long bed.

Be honest with yourself on how you will really use the camper. Are you a thermarest and sleeping bag right on the ground guy, eat the "instant meal in a bag"? if so get the Hawk. If you could see yourself in a regular RV or trailer but you can't bring yourself to be "that guy" then go Grandby. Kind of an extreme example but it's the less is more principal.

Good luck.

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 06 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Be honest with yourself on how you will really use the camper. Are you a thermarest and sleeping bag right on the ground guy, eat the "instant meal in a bag"? if so get the Hawk. If you could see yourself in a regular RV or trailer but you can't bring yourself to be "that guy" then go Grandby. Kind of an extreme example but it's the less is more principal.

Lots of good stuff in the first part of your post. I tend towards the first part of the post but am figuring a FWC will allow some more motivation to stay out in crappier weather and such. Plus down the road when the body isn't liking the ground as much the comfort would be nice. I honestly think the best fit for me now would be an eagle/hawk as the grandby seems a bit overkill but I think down the road it would allow some more "luxury". I am also budget conscious to some extent and haven't seen anything similar to that grandby popping up for sale (Of course I'm impatient about it too :D) Put it this way if that one listed was 100mi away instead of over a thousand miles I'd likely leave work now to get it, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users