• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

I'm replacing my 2015 Hawk drivers side led light and would like some suggestions on what caulk to use. It was previously attached with clear.

A little history of why I'm replacing it:

The light was replaced by FWC due to a couple of the led's modules not working , I think when the new one was installed the lower screw was slightly over tightened. Due to the uneven surface this caused a crack in the plastic around the base of the screw, so be careful it you are replacing these. Last summer on a visit to  FWC they offered to replace it again, but we didn't want to wait around so they just gave me a new light to install myself.

Sorry can't the photo upright!! I tried.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• FWCDriversSideLed1.JPG

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

It would be nice if those were available as lower intensity red LEDs to reduce night vision loss. We mostly use the awning light or just the corner downward LEDs.

Are there any manufacturer identifier, names, numbers or logos on the unit?

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Paul,

Info on the light is: KII is the trademark, then 2007-9-13

Still looking for info on what caulk to use, adhesive type or plain exterior clear silicone/blended.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,985 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Paul,

Still looking for info on what caulk to use, adhesive type or plain exterior clear silicone/blended.

Dicor, or 3m 4200 will work well. Avoid silicone.  

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:19 PM

The KII clue led me to these Kaper II lights on Amazon....

12" version

18" version

There's also a red-LED stop-turn-tail light with a clear lens but it's a three-wire light while the others are two-wire lights.  It may also be too bright for your purpose, Paul.   I'd be tempted to play around with various ways of blocking off some of the light on the stock lights before going to the trouble of changing fixtures.

Note- I didn't spend very long trying to match these up to the photo in post #1 and I don't have these lights to compare or take dimensions. But it looks like a good place to start.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:36 AM

Paul,

The KII clue led me to these Kaper II lights on Amazon....

12" version

18" version

There's also a red-LED stop-turn-tail light with a clear lens but it's a three-wire light while the others are two-wire lights. It may also be too bright for your purpose, Paul. I'd be tempted to play around with various ways of blocking off some of the light on the stock lights before going to the trouble of changing fixtures.

Note- I didn't spend very long trying to match these up to the photo in post #1 and I don't have these lights to compare or take dimensions. But it looks like a good place to start.

Thanks for the info. One of the taillight/turn signal units might be good swap for the marker light only one that FWC provides on the rear of the camper. However, it might also be too bright as a night vision retaining substitute for the supplied white LED. I suppose wiring a pot into the circuit near the switch panel could allow adjusting the brightness and finding some red plastic to hang over the light could solve the problem. Paul

Edited by PaulT, 10 January 2018 - 04:39 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 MattC

MattC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the info. One of the taillight/turn signal units might be good swap for the marker light only one that FWC provides on the rear of the camper. However, it might also be too bright as a night vision retaining substitute for the supplied white LED. I suppose wiring a pot into the circuit near the switch panel could allow adjusting the brightness and finding some red plastic to hang over the light could solve the problem. Paul

If you want the lights red, I might recommend putting some taillight repair tape over it.

I have used it for other lights in the past.

The first piece will make it kind of pink, but retain the brightness. 

A second layer will make it red, but dimmer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Caulk, led lights, exterior caulk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users