16 replies to this topic

#1 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction Colorado

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hello all. I have been on CK5.com since day one...Expedition Portal since the trip to Calgary in the Chalet in 06....and found this site by chance doing a FWC
search last night.

Hopefully soon i will have a rode hard and put away wet FWC "Blazer" model to restore for my highly built 79 K5...i chose the FWC over the K5 w/camper i already own as FWC is truely a ton lighter than the Chinook poptop...and they are truely some wonderful people to deal with.

Many moons ago i saw my first Chalet while living in phx az....and life has just not been the same since...lol.

Not long after driving the 79 K5 to San Diego to pick up my first Chalet camper i met my dear friend Aaron Sheppard who provided the web space and know how to start www dot blazerchalet dot com. I of course take very little credit other than providing content ie: pics and brochures and of course K5 technical knowledge.

Being a wrench i think thru the years i was anal and over the top in restoring the mechanical side of my chalet...but it was money and time well spent as i didn't hesitate to turn the key...fuel her up and drive to calgary for a 6 month work related stay.

Now a days the old girl sits silently on the side of my shop...and i have recently decided to sell the old girl as my growing family has out grown her...and when the FWC arrives in my shop for the 79 K5 which there again
is built over the top to go where the rabbitts might even frown...i can't justify having twin K5's with campers anymore. I was going to do a full body off resto and tweak a few more items along the way as she started life in NE
so she has a rust issue and i still have a sourced clean rust free 77 tub for her in the field...i just don't have the time anymore working in the oil patch.

Anyways the 79 is a tool more or less...and to finish her off the FWC would be
a match made in heaven for my treasure hunting hobby...so i hope to learn a ton here about the in-outs-repairs-do's-don'ts of owning and using a FWC pop top.

DW
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Welcome to the board DW :)

Be sure to post some pics of those rigs when you get a chance!

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Welcome DW

I look forward to pics.

marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:55 AM

Sounds like a cool project. Welcome.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:15 AM

Welcome. I'm up I-70 a bit from you in the Vail Edwards Area.

Sounds like quite the project... good luck!

mtn

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

DW,

Welcome to the board. I'll be looking forward to seeing the rebuild, take lots of pics for us.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

DW,

Welcome. It's nice to see another "old school Chevy" guy on the forum. As you can see by my profile, I have a FWC Grandby on my refurbished '77 C10. Other than a set of Super Springs and a built 700R4 trans with extra cooling, it's pretty much stock. This past fall I went on a 6500 mile trip with it and the ol' truck worked quite well, although it could of used a little more horse power when going up mountain passes. We spent a total of 49 nights in the FWC last year.

Post some pics for us, please.

Buzz

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#8 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

Here is a picture of the camper i will be recieving....she is in sad shape as you can see. And the other shot is my current K5 with camper the 76 chalet pictured with the donor of the next camper.

DW

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0751 [1024x768].jpg
  • 100_0774 [1024x768].jpg

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

#9 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:00 AM

And this is the intended recipient of the FWC Blazer model camper....my desert tan 79 K5....

DW

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1301 (Copy).jpg
  • DSC_3445 (Copy).jpg

#10 k5nutt

k5nutt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:03 AM

The 700R4 was a great up grade but have you ever looked into installing a TBI system on that old girl as well? Its a fairly easy upgrade and well worth the improvement in power and economy...

DW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users