• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

We haven't had a good tire thread in a while and I'll be needing a new set soon, soooo...

Here is my dilemma- I have the stock BFG Rugged Trails, D-rated, on my 07 Tundra. Nice on the highway, but terrible for everything else. I'd really like to upgrade to the BFG T/A KOs, but in the size I want they only come E-rated. Now, my rig fully loaded doesn't weigh more than 7,500#. Each D-rated tire hands 2,600# for over 10k total (evenly distributed). Even if somehow 2/3 of the weight hit the rear, they are still under the load limit (my rig carries the weight 50/50 loaded, I've weighed it).

I'm thinking E tires are overkill. Why would I need another 3000+lbs of carrying capacity? What am I missing?
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Have you checked the BFG web site, or just the local tire dealers (I'm betting on the former). What's the tire size?

At any rate, the E rated will have a little stiffer side wall, so you may want to run a little lower air pressure to get the same ride as the D rated. On the plus side, you'll have extra sidewall protection.:thumb:

I've been reading good things about the Nitto Terra Grappler and the Good Year Wrangler SilentArmore tires. I had terrible luck with the Wrangler tires that came stock on my '99 truck, but they weren't called "SilentArmore" back then.

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

max load with max air pressure the tire can handle. May not be what the rim can handle.

Adjust the pressure for the load you have at the time. Like what was said lower the pressure.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

max load with max air pressure the tire can handle. May not be what the rim can handle.

Adjust the pressure for the load you have at the time. Like what was said lower the pressure.

I know there are different types of valve stems for D and E rated tires and that rims have a stamp for their size and some letters at the end (i.e. 16X7 JJ). Do the letter(s) at the end of the size indicate max tire pressure and/or max load the rim will safely handle? If so does someone know the codes or have a link explaining the codes?

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

(Example wheel size designation)
16x7JJ
16 — Rim diameter in inches.
7 — Rim width in inches.
JJ — Rim contour designation, normal shape of standard tires. (not a wierd shape or a split rim design)

You have a Toyota and it is a alloy rim. You will be fine with the BFG All-Terrian KO. Depends what width.

There is a new valve stem out that is a cross of rubber and metal...Looks pretty good.

Here is BFG spec page.

http://www.bfgoodric...-t-a-ko/44.html

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

Okay, so the letters following the rim size indicate the contour of the bead?

You said in part

What may limit what the rim can handle, (other than putting on too wide or too narrow a tire for a given rim width) and how may that be known?

The reason I ask this is that you seem to be VERY knowledgeable and I want to learn. Provided the rim size is appropriate for the tire size I don't see how a wheel rim could be the weak link in a wheel/tire combination unless it's related to the total weight the rim can carry.

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:53 AM

Yes wheels have different design criteria just like tires. There is a safety range that a tire can have certain wheel width mounted to. Four wheelers push the limits to have a skinnier wheel width to help the tire from loosing air and popping a bead at low tire pressure. The tire specifications will give you that wheel width range.

Load capacity and pressure really comes into play on trailer tires. High loads and high pressure. Most of the time at the tires maximum pressure. You will see more wheels giving you max pressure specifications to properly match tire and wheel combinations.

Most all your tire stores have these charts and specifications and can help you. “Most” tire shops will not mount and balance combinations that is listed as unsafe.

There are some workers at these tire places that will put in the maximum pressure as stated on the sidewall and send you on your way. If you have factory size tires go by the door tag or glove box book for pressure recommendations.

If you are changing tire size then you should determine the proper air pressure for your load. Do this on a cool morning and when the tires are not hot. Sidewall reads ## PSI Cold. Vechical facing a flat straight surface, put a chalk line across the tires. Drive straight enough that the chalk is starting to wear off, couple hundred feet?

Look at the how the chalk is wearing off. Wearing off in the middle, too much pressure. Wearing off on the outside, too little pressure. Re adjust pressure, place new chalk line and try it again. Works best if you start with an over inflated tire and let air out as you go.

Once you have the pressure for empty and loaded camper, record them. These are the values for you new non stock wheel and tire combination.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Patrick - Thank you. I don't think I could have found that out anywhere! Collective wisdom is an amazing thing.

#9 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

I'm leaning towards the Michelin LTX AT2's. The the blocky shoulders of the BFG's are going to be really noisy when cruising at 75 with no load. Someone told me the Mich's are a tad softer too, which would be good since I'm going to have to get the E-rates ones for 33s. Anyone have experience with these Michelins? I have the LTX AT in a P tire on the Landcruiser and I like them a lot, but different application, different tire (AT vs AT2) and only 4 ply.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#10 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:41 AM

Toyos, but decided to put BFG KOs on the new Toyota, but because of the down turn in the truck bis., nobody is making any parts, and I have to wait 5 wks. to get a set of wheels.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users