• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

I need to get some battery action going for my rig sooner or later. I've been reading and it sounds like AGM batteries have alot of advantages over normal wet cell batteries and all that. However not knowing the pricing, weight, amp hours, etc. on all these off hand does anyone have a good feeling for where you're going to get a good bang for the buck, amp hour, life, weight? Talking type and brand (sources for them) here.

I'll be looking to mount the batteries on the vehicle frame so gas issues aren't a worry but I also don't want to have to crawl under alot to maintain fluid levels. What say the wisdom of the board?

Edit: For example I can snag one of these batteries at a local place for $95 and its a 105 AH. http://www.exide.com...tilus_gold.html Seems like I could run two of these for the same price as a 55AH optima for instance and have quadruple the capacity. Would I be seeing alot less life out of these for instance?

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:18 AM

I chose to use two Group 31 deep cycle marine batteries in my Grandby. Mine are mounted side by side under front seat in the camper on the right side. I leave the right front turnbuckle door off to provide ventilation. I chose the deep cycle marine batts for several reasons, 1. Cost: very reasonable at Costco, 2. High capacity, 3. Easy to maintain, 4. Available just about anywhere. I have a 1500 watt inverter that runs a microwave, and an Engel 45 Refer/freezer that runs on 12 volts. Just added a furnace for more 12 volt load so I need lots of battery capacity. My truck is a diesel, so comes equipped with dual batteries. I have a Perco switch that allows me to directly parallel all 4 batteries if needed, although it hasn't been necessary yet. Instead of the small wire for the camper to truck wiring, I replaced it with #6 wire run through a 70 amp breaker and directly to the truck batteries. Used a 125amp power pole connector for the camper to truck wiring. Also installed in the camper is a small (10 amp) "smart" marine charger that keeps the batteries up while connected to shore power. I carry a small 1KW Yamaha generator, but have yet to actually need it.

Well I guess that's more than you really wanted to know...don't ask me the time :)

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 captainkettel

captainkettel

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:56 AM

What brand are you using? I run two Interstat Workaholic group 31 batteries. Tons of power. These are "wet" type batteries.

#4 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:05 AM

I use 2 crown 6 volt batteries wired in series you get longer hours of use this way compared to a 12volt battery.These our mounted under the couch and have a voltage meter to moniter levels.There easy to get to and vented out the turnbuckle port.This system works good and I have enough power to run about any 110 device with my 1500 watt inverter as well as lights for a while.It all depends on use thou.

There our issues with both types of batteries. maintaince with water and venting on water filled lead acid type or overfrying and cost of the agm and gel kind so you just have to keep an eye on there levels.One perk to the agm kind is you don't need to vent them but they our less forgiving for over charging and have a lower voltage acceptence.

As far as where to buy?I found out that there our battery shops that sell used agm deep cycle batteries in perfect shape with a 1 year warranty for about $30 a peice.I asked the guy at the used battery store why so cheap and he said they had alot of them and people get rid of them if there in a accident ect..So might be worth calling around if you don't want to pay a ton like me ,I bought mine new and now I know the cheap way for next time.

Also buy a smart charger that won't over charge your battery . It knows when to turn down to a trickle charge all by itself .Use it when your truck is not charging them and never let the battery get to low or freeze.

All this battery talk really boils down to what our your needs for power.our you wanting a power plant to run all your tech gear or just a light and some tunes.

Attached Thumbnails

• highway 20 sept 005.jpg

#5 oldnslow

oldnslow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:46 AM

/quote
There our issues with both types of batteries. maintaince with water and venting on agm or overfrying and cost of the gel kind so you just have to keep an eye on there levels.
quote/

AGM batteries are sealed and don't outgas. You don't need to ever fill them, in fact you can't. They don't need to be in a vented area.

I think you meant flooded lead-acid batteries, and thats what you have in the picture. They need to be in a vented area and need to be filled periodically. But they are the cheapest type, and easy to find.

I am fond of the AGM types. I have some older LifeLine batteries that I bought used and they are still working fine. They are available at many solar power outlets. My favorite is Arizona Wind & Sun (http://store.solar-electric.com). They are not cheap, however.

Gel batteries are not a good idea IMO. Your truck's charging system will overcharge them a little and shorten their life.

#6 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:06 AM

your right old and slow my mix up.correction made.

#7 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:06 AM

I use 2 6-volt Trojan AGM batteries. They are rated at 200ah. Not cheap but I have yet to kill them. AGM batteries do vent, just very little.

#8 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:34 PM

I have a similar setup to snow hunter. I built a box under the couch for mine and vented them out the front of the camper. We now have enough power to run for 2 days without starting the engine. We can run whatever we need, charge computers, cameras, hairdryer (yes... my wife showered and dried her hair in the valley of the gods!) :)

I'll post some pics this weekend. (of the battery setup, not my wife showering!)

Kyle
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

I found out that there our battery shops that sell used agm deep cycle batteries in perfect shape with a 1 year warranty for about $30 a peice.I asked the guy at the used battery store why so cheap and he said they had alot of them and people get rid of them if there in a accident ect..So might be worth calling around if you don't want to pay a ton like me ,I bought mine new and now I know the cheap way for next time.

All this battery talk really boils down to what our your needs for power.our you wanting a power plant to run all your tech gear or just a light and some tunes.

What shops did you find in WA selling used AGM? Perhaps worth checking out.

My power draws are going to be heater in the winter and lighting, no plans for a microwave and such. :P I'll likely look into building a dual battery tray to mount on the frame even if I only start with one battery.

How much maintenance is actually required on the lead acid batteries? (ie how often do you need to check them)? If I frame mount the batteries I'm not going to want to be under there every couple weeks toping them up with water however if its every 6mo or so that would be more reasonable.

To start with I'll mainly just rely on the alternator of the truck keeping things maintained as they'd be constantly charged off it and would get topped off going to/from each weekend outing and any driving between.

#10 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

Pods
I found a battery shop called beacon battery worth checking there up near the border in blaine .He said they sell deep cycle for this price.
Also try salvage and junkyards they seem to get the wrecked rvs.

I check the levels of volts alot. water levels on my crown lead/acid about every three weeks but I forgot for awhile and they got low with water.
so you do have to check them at least every 4 weeks I would think.

checking and filling water might be a pain if there mounted under the truck if you can't get to them easy.Also the batteries might get beat up if there under there,maybe if you had a vented box to put them in but you would have to ask someone else in the know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users