• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Starting to think I will head to Alaska this summer in my fwc. Will probably drag my little tariler along so I can bring my Suzuki DR650 as well as a generator and other stuff that takes up space. I may head up in May before the crowds, what are some of the must see's that time of year? Oh and I don't have a screen door on my granby, good ideas for that. Suspect I might see a bug or two.:D
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

Barko,
Where are you thinking of going in Alaska. Denali Park is a good trip. You can camp out in the park with a permit/reservation at a camground out there. Do a look up for Denali Park and you should find lots of info.
Just before Denali on the Fairbanks side the little town there has a campground that we had all to ourselves and got a real good look at the Mountain in the evening sun.
We really enjoyed the Paxon Highway. "All dirt' On the Tok side there is a real good campground on the lake with good fishing. A good route is up then alaska highway from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks then down to Denali Park, then down to the Paxon highway and across the Paxon highway to the Tok cut off road then down to Glenallan and on to Valdez. Valdez has a couple of museums well worth the visit. From Valdez take the alaska state ferry across to Seward on the Kenai peninsula, then out to Homer and make sure you stay right out on the Homer Spit by the water. the spit as some interesting shops and drinkeries such mas the Salty dog saloon. Out of homer you are approx 220 miles to Ancjhorage. Make sure you eat at Phylis's restaurant in Anchorage. Out of anchorage head back to glenallen and take the Tok Cut Off road to "Tok. Stop at tok and ask directions to the top of the world highway to Dawson City, Yukon. Gerties Gambling hall should be open in dawson city home of the Klondike. Then drive out of dawson city towards whitehorse. Just before whitehorse you turn right on the alaska highway again and go back to Haines Junction Yukon, then turn left and go ,to Haines alaska. After haines take the ferry to Skagway alaska. Make sure you take a ride on the White Pass and Yukon narrow gauge railway the most scenoc ride in the world. The ridis 3 to 4 hrs. return.
Then drive over thye white pass and back to carcross and back to Whitehoese.
When in Whitehorse,make sure ypu go to the westmark hotel and see the Frantic Follies show. It riuns usually 2 x a night in the summer. It is a hoot.
from Whitehorse head south to highway 37. 37 is 240 miles approx down the alaska highway from whitehorse. so about 12 miles north of watson lake.
for a good meal eat at Sally's restaurant a very small restaurant at the junction of highway 37 and the alaska highway. Head down highway 37 and about 1 /2 hrs down you will come to Dease River crossing. A real nice campground and good fishing for grayling and trout from shore. Dennis the owner has a trick to catch trout so if ypu stop be sure to ask him. About
2 1/2 hrs past dease river crossing is the town of dease lake. at dease lake if you want turn right in the middle of town and head to Telegraph Creek B.C.
The drive is spectacular. "OBEY THE POSTED SPEEDS AND THE TRAFFIC SIGNS AS THEY MEAN WHAT THEY INDICATE'
The canyon of the stikine is spectacular. Have a meal at the Riversong in telegraph Creek.
Back to dease Lake and head south again on highway 37 to Kitwanga. approx 6 /7 hrs. Thenyou arrive at highway 16 the yellowhead. turn right to terrace, kitimat,prince rupert, or left to smithes (2hrs) and on mto Prince George 6 hrs.. From Prince rupert you can take the alaska ferry south to bellingham if you want. Or take a ferry to the Queen Charlotte islands for another adventure.
I hope I have not bored you. e feel free to ask any questions and I will try to answer. Also I hope you will stop by for a coffee etc., when you hit the watson Lake Area. Have a great trip..
Robbie

#3 cubdriver

cubdriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:12 AM

If you are thinking of taking your dr The best dirt biking in Alaska is on the Knik river north of Anchorage on the Glen highway. Can ride your bike right up to the Knik glacier. lots of Moose ,goats ,sheep, bears. you can spend days in there on your bike and never see it all. In Anchorage ,I recommend cocktails at F street station and Club Paris for dinner ,If you are a meat eater. Rumour has it you could run into a few bugs but they wont spoil your trip. (Ive lived there for the last 25 years and they havent run me out yet, thats not the case with my wife though!)
Dean

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

Wow, like having a personal travel guide or two:thumb:. I'll try to cover a bunch of it! I'll have my dog and not super mobile daughter with me. The ferry from Valdez to Seward sounds good, I was thinking about a boat tour of Kenai Fjords, maybe heading North to the Artic circle. Knik river sounds great. I imagine I can camp near there/Palmer and run the bike up from there. I've got the map out and will start plotting.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 cubdriver

cubdriver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:19 AM

You can camp right where unload your bike. Just east of Butte Alaska on jims creek, should be able to see it on a the map. I Reccommend Stan Stephans out of Whittier for a boat/glacier/wildlife trip. Prince Williams Sound is spectacular, I have been guiding all over Alaska for 20 years and Prince William Sound is one of my absolute favorite places in the entire State. He also operates in Seward and out of Homer If you are in that neck of the woods.

#6 Skeeter

Skeeter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • LocationWA and AZ

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

I highly recommend Wrangall-St Ellias National park. There are only two dirt roads that enter one of the biggest parks in the U.S. I would suggest Nabesna Road. You can spend a week exploring that place, there are a few public cabins also. Here is a good link:

http://www.nps.gov/w...-park-roads.htm

If you want the best breakfast in Anchorage, it has to be Snow city cafe:

http://www.snowcitycafe.com/menu/

I would also suggest Glacier brewhouse for good beer:

http://glacierbrewhouse.com/beers2.htm

The Kenai is also a really good place to fish. I also would reccomend visiting Exit Glacier just outside of Seward. You just cannot go wrong in Alaska!

http://i260.photobuc...8/DSC02427.jpg' alt='Posted Image' class='bbc_img' />[/IMG]
"Can you skin grizz pilgrim?" -Bear Claw - 03' Tacoma, 97' Ranger II

#7 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:07 AM

Eat breakfast, drink lots of beer, leave the fish alone.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#8 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:17 AM

Yup can't really go wrong with alaska but if it was later in the year, june july august etc I would pick the Yukon territory hands down. scenery is just as good, not nearly as far to drive, and you would be absolutely on your own most of the time.. there are miles of old roads to explore.
No People takes it for me...
robbie

#9 agate

agate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTwo Harbors, MN

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

I am thinking of heading up to AK this summer, did you do any of these suggestions Barko1?

agate
2012 Ford F250 XLT Crew Cab w/2010 Hawk

minobimaadiziwin <Living the Good Life!>

#10 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:44 AM

Here is a very relevant thread with many good suggestions for an Alaskan trip: http://www.4wdtrips....read.php?t=5756

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users