• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dexstrom

dexstrom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

After months of considering my choices for a camper set-up, I found the FWC that will work for us. It's an '86 Grandby, fits my '86 F150 just right. It needs some TLC, the biggest issue is replacing the hinges on the back, previous owner had used thin, light weight piano hinges with pop rivets. Needless to say, the rivets quit right away and the hinges are seriously twisted. Worst thing is the roof was attached 1 1/2" back from the right spot and cannot sit on the camper correctly to secure with the latches. I've already found threads on replacing the lift units and kudos to everyone's contributions, it will make this repair much easier.

Here are some pics of my truck and FWC set-up

Attached Thumbnails

• 86 F150 FWC.jpg
  • interior rt side.jpg
  • FWC interior.jpg

#2 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Looks nice, congrats!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:31 PM

Welcome aboard, the "new" rig looks neat...keep us posted with pictures as you go about your repairs and mods. You're going to love the FWC.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 masterplumber

masterplumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Looks great & welcome aboard. These older rigs may not have some of the upgrades that the newer ones have but my '87 Granby has been a loyal companion for many many miles.

Doug

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

Congrats and welcome aboard. The rig looks just prime for mods down the road, keep us posted.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 snow hunter

snow hunter

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Nice vintage camper you have there.It Looks ready for a couch mod.I like the cd player placement I think I might have to do that someday.
Cheers

#7 dexstrom

dexstrom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:15 PM

Nice vintage camper you have there.It Looks ready for a couch mod.I like the cd player placement I think I might have to do that someday.
Cheers

Thanks for the nice comments. One upgrade I'll be doing is to a CD player, that you see is a cassette tape player, shows the age of the camper! But a good location, the speakers are on each side of the door.

I removed the side couch to open up the floor space. Less storage, but my wife didn't like the 'crowded' feel of having the extra couch. She is warming up to this idea, and even offered to do some sewing of new curtains. Already planning for an A/C unit in the rear window. Saw an install on a trailer that used a drawer slider to roll the A/C inside and a hard cover over the opening when not in use. Doesn't look as cheesy as the unit sticking out of the wall, IMO.

#8 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Congrats on the new camper!

It really is amazing when you look at the old and new FWC how little they really do change. I seem to always focus on the differences, but in reality, they are quite versatile and more the same than anything else!

Welcome and good luck!

Dave in Seattle

#9 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

I love the classic look, very nice. Welcome to WTW.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#10 zonker

zonker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, OR

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

Great stuff.. a vintage Grandby! It will be great to see what and how you make the improvements. So keep us posted.
Zonker 2004 FWC Hawk 2006 Fiat/Dodge w/QC and 5.9 Cummins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users