• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

So over at tundrasolutions.com there is always this long running debate about just how stout the new Tundra's are. The argument goes something like this "the rear diff is huge, brakes are huge, engine is huge, tranny is overbuilt, etc. etc. until someone says "this is really a 3/4 ton truck" to which everyone else says no. So I'm wondering, regarldless of it's true capacity, what is the weakest link? If the suspension is properly beefed up, what will fail first? My guess is the bearings or something like that, but lots of you guys heavily overload Tacomas, sooo I dunno.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'd have to say the frame (and its rating) but I'm not the truck expert either...

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

I'd have to say the frame (and its rating) but I'm not the truck expert either...

I thought of that, but I'm not so sure. The taco's seem to hold. Les is the only one I every knew of firsthand to break a frame and he was way over capacity AND on a serious 4wd trail. If you're not lifting tires off the ground and slamming down, I don't see frames breaking unless under extreme weight and I'm not asking about making 1/2 ton carry 3000lbs+ (more like around 2000lbs vs the 1100-1500 stated payload of Tacomas and Tundras). I could be wrong though.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:57 PM

I don't know the answer to your question.

But I have talked with MANY Tundra owners over the past 6 years and have never heard of any major problems with the trucks, frames breaking, or anything like that.

I can't remember any customers coming in or calling in with major truck issues because they had too much weight in their truck. But im sure someone had done it.

I think some of the early Tundras had issues with front brakes wearing out quickly, but I think they fixed that over the years.

The new 07' / 08' Tundras looks MUCH beefier too !

We have a 2001 Toyota Tundra 4x4 here at the shop we have been using for years to haul parts, deliver campers (BIG & small), photos shoots, towing delivery trailers, shows, etc.

We put an FWC on that truck, and towed a 4500 lbs. trailer to Portland and back with that truck. I wouldn't recommend that, but the truck didn't miss a beat.

Our Tundra here has carried 1800 - 1900 lbs. campers all over the place. I think the truck has approx. 130,000 miles on it.

No rear end problems yet.
No transmission problems yet.
No frame probelms yet.
No engine problems yet.

I would give any of the Tundra Trucks a big thumbs up for over all performance, durability, and reliability !

:thumb:

BUT, in my opinion it is not a 3/4 ton truck. Just a great 1/2 ton truck that will last most people a really long time.

We have had 4 other 3/4 ton trucks here for deliveries and they do much better for carrying big loads and towing big trailers.

=================================================

So over at tundrasolutions.com there is always this long running debate about just how stout the new Tundra's are. The argument goes something like this "the rear diff is huge, brakes are huge, engine is huge, tranny is overbuilt, etc. etc. until someone says "this is really a 3/4 ton truck" to which everyone else says no. So I'm wondering, regarldless of it's true capacity, what is the weakest link? If the suspension is properly beefed up, what will fail first? My guess is the bearings or something like that, but lots of you guys heavily overload Tacomas, sooo I dunno.

Attached Thumbnails

• POSTCARD.jpg
  • tundra.JPG
  • tUNDRA WITH d650 mODEL.JPG
  • S650 on Tundra - Rhodes.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:53 PM

The biggest problem with a 1/2 ton truck I think is that if you really use it as a truck, you're probably using it at gvw or over weight. They don't tow as well as a bigger truck. I've always looked at 1/2 tons more like a big car. I think if you're into campers, even light weight campers, you're better off with a 3/4 ton truck. You can grow into a 3/4 ton truck, you will grow out of a 1/2 ton. I have a Torque Monster, it's what I need, camper on, 8000# boat, or race car trailer, flyin' down I 5 at 75mph no problem, a 1/2 will never do that. I the case of trucks, Bigger is better most of the time. Ford looks to have the first deisel 1/2 ton coming at the end of the year, unless the gov. stops them from making the thing, which they might. (don't take any bail out cash, make what you want, you might stay in business)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0089.jpg

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

The biggest problem with a 1/2 ton truck I think is that if you really use it as a truck, you're probably using it at gvw or over weight.

I think he's asking what is the limiting factor on GVWR on most trucks? He was saying if X, Y, and Z are all "heavy duty" why is it still rated 1/2T.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:25 PM

I think he's asking what is the limiting factor on GVWR on most trucks? He was saying if X, Y, and Z are all "heavy duty" why is it still rated 1/2T.

For the answer to that question, I think you have to ask the marketing and advertisment dept., rather than the engenering dept. I don't think they want to call them wimpy, heavy duty sounds much better.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

............ The argument goes something like this "the rear diff is huge, brakes are huge, engine is huge, tranny is overbuilt, etc. etc. .............. So I'm wondering, regarldless of it's true capacity, what is the weakest link? ..............

For some it's ego and the first thing to fail is between the ears.:D

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

For the answer to that question, I think you have to ask the marketing and advertisment dept., rather than the engenering dept. I don't think they want to call them wimpy, heavy duty sounds much better.

Like pods was saying, I'm just curious what the weakest link is. For example, the new Tundra's frame is "30% stronger", but the truck weighs only 15% more (empty). The ring gear is 10.5" vs 9" on other 1/2Ts. Brakes are huge. Tranny is huge and stout. I could go on and on, but the payload is the same as the old Tundra. Putting all the marketing stuff aside, if you were to drive a new Tundra with a 2000# payload (about 5-600 over GVWR), what would give first? I'm thinking it would be bushings because the truck is designed to tow almost 11,000# so the tranny, engine, brakes are all designed for the stress. Or maybe not.
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

#10 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

The new Tundra really hasn't been around long enough to really know if there is any real weaknesses. I have a good friend who has one and he uses his very hard, lots of towing, I think he has 40k on the thing, but there is one weakness with the gas engine and towing, no exhaust braking. If you tow on the flat, no problem, but if you have to deal with a lot of grades, you're going to burn up the brakes real fast, which he already has. He also gets about 8mi to the gal. under heavy load contitions, and that's not to great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users