Photo
- - - - -

Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:23 AM

Best *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope? 

Hi all

We like to go camping 4 seasons, and off the beaten path. Want to carry a 30 foot *mid priced* Kinetic Recovery Rope, just in case we get stuck, or come across someone who needs help. 

7,000 lb  4x4 truck and about 3,000 lb (wet/loaded) truck camper, so about 10,000 lb total. 

My instinct is to go for a mid priced Kinetic Recovery Rope  - so nothing crappy that will let me down, but not super high end. 

A number of people have suggested Yankum Ropes as a good choice. 

Looking around the internets I don’t see any unbiased reviews. Any thoughts on what I should buy?

This is the specific 1”  ($214)  Yankum they recommended, based on my rig. 

https://yankum.com/rattler

thanks

#2 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

ps. this is a good, related article, and it explains why I do not want to buy a tow strap, even if it is called something else on the package. 

My research indicates that kinetic Recovery Ropes are a LOT safer for everyone involved, and is also safer for both vehicles, (far less jerk on the rigs)

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:08 PM

That is a very good article. Hooks kill. I don't use any strap with hooks regardless of the application.

I have had good luck with smittybuilt products and would not hesitate to buy their stuff. They have one for $185 with 60k breaking strength. Make sure you get good D-rings that are rated for a dynamic load.

I use a fairly static tow strap with (loops on either end) so I can't say a whole lot the kinetic strap quality. But I have been pulled out by one once and it was very smooth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:57 PM

That is a very good article. Hooks kill. I don't use any strap with hooks regardless of the application.

I have had good luck with smittybuilt products and would not hesitate to buy their stuff. They have one for $185 with 60k breaking strength. Make sure you get good D-rings that are rated for a dynamic load.

I use a fairly static tow strap with (loops on either end) so I can't say a whole lot the kinetic strap quality. But I have been pulled out by one once and it was very smooth.

thanks

and... I have reached out to ARB – as my rig (pickup truck plus truck camper ALWAYS on the back of truck) is about 10,000 lbs wet (loaded)

To ask them what ARB SNATCH STRAP is most suitable for recovery? the “medium” one ARB SNATCH STRAP – 24,000 LBS minimum breaking strength – PART NO ARB710LB

or the “strongest” one?

ARB SNATCH STRAP – 33,000 LBS minimum breaking strength – PART NO ARB715LB

I have heard good things about ARB stuff. 

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

ARB is good stuff. Sometimes a little overpriced but quality. A snatch strap is up there on my wish list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:13 PM

I’m surprised I’m the first one to mention Matt’s Towing Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/JlriR2LGxZU

This guy out of Hurricane, UT pulls out all sorts of people with his Yankum rope. I bought one based on just his videos. Haven’t used it yet but am glad I did it.

*** WARNING*** His videos can be addicting!

Edited by smlobx, 09 February 2020 - 02:14 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Straps are great if you have another vehicle to help out. Hopefully I won't need my recent ARB purchase but just in case.

https://www.ebay.com...497.m4902.l9144

I have a 30' tow rope from masterpull I carry in the Jeep. Looks like the prices on those things have gone way up since I purchased mine.

http://www.masterpul...y-super-yanker/

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

You understand that a Tree Saver is NOT a kinetic recovery strap, right?  It has no stretch at all.  It can be used to TOW a dead-but-not-stuck vehicle back to civilization, but really shouldn't be used to pull a stuck vehicle out of the mud.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:47 PM

Used for winching purposes only. Be kind to trees.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:50 AM

I’m surprised I’m the first one to mention Matt’s Towing Youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/JlriR2LGxZU

This guy out of Hurricane, UT pulls out all sorts of people with his Yankum rope. I bought one based on just his videos. Haven’t used it yet but am glad I did it.

*** WARNING*** His videos can be addicting!

Watched some of his videos.  Some of those folks have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS leaving well marked, highly traveled, paved roads!  Especially the lady in the Prius!

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users