13 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

If you use an old-school physical compass for navigation (I still have a Silva Ranger in the bottom of my main daypack) make sure you're adjusting the declination regularly.  The times they are a changin'!

The Magnetic North Pole Is Rapidly Moving Because of Some Blobs

from Popular Mechanics

That the magnetic pole is moving rapidly isn't real new news, but I think the explanation for it is.

The scientific journal article -- in Nature Geoscience -- that was the source for the PM article:

Recent north magnetic pole acceleration towards Siberia caused by flux lobe elongation

For centuries, the magnetic north pole has been safely in the care of our friendly neighbor to the north. But if it falls into Russian hands...!  :eek:  :(

:P

screen-shot-2020-05-15-at-3-25-56-pm-158

"The magnetic north pole has shifted over time since scientists first identified its location in 1831.

LIVERMORE ET AL. NATURE GEOSCIENCE (2020"

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:46 PM

Gosh, Julie and I were just reading and studying this this morning. Our declination east has dropped from 13.5 to 13 degrees.

This is another example of us riding on a dynamic planet! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

My buddy Steve earned the nickname "Magellan" about 45 years ago by moving from an exploration project in the Blue Ridge of NC to the Green Mountains of Vermont and not correcting the declination on his Brunton.  The second he crossed a topofil line left by one of his co-workers on a grid they were putting in, they hung the moniker on him and he's still got it today.  The grid lines were supposed to be parallel to one another and 500' apart.

Foy

#4 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:21 PM

My buddy Steve earned the nickname "Magellan" about 45 years ago by moving from an exploration project in the Blue Ridge of NC to the Green Mountains of Vermont and not correcting the declination on his Brunton.  The second he crossed a topofil line left by one of his co-workers on a grid they were putting in, they hung the moniker on him and he's still got it today.  The grid lines were supposed to be parallel to one another and 500' apart.

Foy

Ahh, the eternal shame of relying on old information and dead reckoning. I hail from the days of paper maps, siledas, inertial navigation and the aforementioned dead reckoning. GPS has certainly changed things. But I still have my old brunton, and just updated the declination setting a couple of months ago.

I recall having misplaced a valley and a couple of mountains in central Idaho back in the 1980's. Some puzzling over topo maps, shooting azimuths with the brunton and triple checking everything eventually set me right. Perhaps a lost art?

Edited by AWG_Pics, 17 May 2020 - 11:24 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:28 PM

<snip>

. Some puzzling over topo maps, shooting azimuths with the brunton and triple checking everything eventually set me right. Perhaps a lost art?

Not a lost art around here. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:36 PM

Not a lost art around here. :)

I learned how to navigate with map and compass in Boy Scouts -- Orienteering Merit Badge, I think.  I used it for real a few times hiking/backpacking back in the day -- figuring my location by taking bearings on landmarks with compass and triangulating on a topo map.

I haven't done that in a long time... but I still remember how -- could if I had to. :)

#7 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:53 AM

Declination is not the only possible problem with compasses. Foy (and Magellan) in particular will appreciate this: somewhere I have a photo of my brother and I in the woods of northern Minnesota with our compasses pointing north at each other either side of a large boulder full of magnetite- a common problem here in the land of iron ore. Plays havoc with navigation in the deep woods, haha.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:38 AM

Interesting side discussion is this: is the accelerated movement an indicator of a coming long overdue pole reversal?

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:43 AM

Interesting side discussion is this: is the accelerated movement an indicator of a coming long overdue pole reversal?

I hope not...  :( .  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that while the poles are reversing the magnetic field is down for a while.  That's bad for life -- no protection against various bad particles from the Sun and elsewhere.

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:06 AM

You are right, there have been many magnetic field reversals throughout earth history -- what we don't know is how long they take to reverse and what adverse effects the reversal process may cause. I am hoping, with not much evidence, for a near instantaneous reversal. Or better yet, maybe it will hold off for another century or two!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users