19 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:40 PM

Decided it was time to explore the lost coast. Three day weekend and may is supposed to be one of the best months to go. Took highway 20 to 101 to umm, something to fort bragg. My shoes fell apart on the road down. Did the rest of the trip in flip flops.

Visited a friend at his cabin in Fort Bragg. Then on to Usal Beach. Had a good number of people there but I still managed to find a decent site. Only one idiot there driving in the river. Quite a few people camped on the beach. No way was I going to try and get my truck out there. The elk got uncomfortably close.

Now the question was, do the Usal Road or go back out and head to Shelter Cove via Redway. I opted to try the road. Its supposed to be doable in two wheel drive (in my Jeep, sure) In retrospect I probably shouldn't have. Pretty risky thing in an area that remote. The worst part was about five miles in (I forgot to reset the odometer so its all approximate). Found a nice stretch with some deep ruts. Still muddy. Figured if I stayed out of the ruts I'd be okay. Of course the truck slides into the ruts anyways, then into the embankment. Thud. Sounds bad. I gun it through and make it. Check for damage. Only some barely noticeable marks on the camper. Phew.

Lots of ruts, some mud, low trees, but no technical challenges. About halfway through I run into a solo motorcylist taking a break. He assures me my rig will do fine. Shortly after that I take a wrong turn and have to turn around. All of a sudden I see the ocean off to my right. Uh oh, the ocean should be off to the left. I somehow got completely turned around. Managed to drive 3-5 miles back. At least this time I found the right turn.

Had three more motorcyclist pass and one Jeep. I was expecting a lot more traffic on memorial weekend.

Found a few abandoned vehicles along the way. The broncoII looks like someone probably got hurt pretty bad.

Found one pothole in the road that was deeper than I expected. Tore part of the plastic thing underneath the bumper. Tied it up and continued on.

Somehow I lost my map. I thought the trail came out by Whitehorn but I never did figure which way to turn. Have to see Fisherman another time. Toured Shelter cove and black sands beach:( before heading on over to Mattole campground. Lots more dirt road than I was expecting. I had planned to continue on and head on to take one of the river routes back to I5 but by the time I made it to Mattole it was late and I was tired.

Oh no! Tons of cars lining the road to the campground. Figure I'm out of luck for camping but turns out they were all backpackers. Only four sites taken in the campground.

I get an early start and head out through petrolia and ferndale, stopping once to check out the tidepools.

All in all a very interesting trip. Even though I expected slow going it still took more time than I expected.

Attached Thumbnails

• willits.jpg
  • usalcamp.jpg
  • usalcamp1.jpg
  • elk.jpg
  • elkroad.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Along the Usal Road

Attached Thumbnails

• usalforest.jpg
  • becareful.jpg
  • didntmakeit.jpg
  • didntmakeit2.jpg
  • didntmakeit3.jpg

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

Including Yuma enjoying an adult beverage when we stopped for lunch. And why an Earthroamer and or other expedition vehicle would have not made it. More than a few trees I cleared by inches.

Attached Thumbnails

• dogbeerbreak.jpg
  • donttakeyourearthroamer.jpg
  • oceanfromusalroad.jpg
  • roadrash.jpg
  • roadrash2.jpg

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

I think its a sea lion not a seal. Any experts here no for sure?
As if the warnings of rip tides and rogue waves aren't enough, theres the tsunami warnings too.

Attached Thumbnails

• sealorsealion.jpg
  • mattolecamp.jpg
  • whereami.jpg
  • warning.jpg
  • tsunami.jpg

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Clean truck with the dog wondering when the heck we're going to hit the road.

Oh yeah, friend told me to get some bacon from a store right by the microbrewery in Fort Bragg. Stuff was just awesome.

Attached Thumbnails

• waittoleave.jpg
  • usalbreakfast.jpg

Edited by craig333, 25 May 2009 - 11:10 PM.
added pic

#6 sjv

sjv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Awesome pictures! I plan to do practically the same thing the week before the july 4th weekend.

-steve
2009 Outfitter Apex 9.5 + 2006 Dodge 2500 2WD

#7 Puffins

Puffins

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationJackson County OR

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:26 AM

Hey you found old no. 38 stout! one of my favorite north coast brews:thumb:
Mike Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket? (Had 95 Hawk on a)06 Chevy 2500HD Crew Duramax 02 Nash 19B State of Jefferson Refugee

#8 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

You made it through Usal??!! way to go! sounds like a good trip.

Are these the muddy ruts your talking about???

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2722.jpg
  • DSCN2723.jpg

Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#9 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:06 AM

Congrats on navigating the Usal Road Craig. Many here have wondered the conditions on that road. Looks like a fun (and adventurous) trip!

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Great shots Craig. The Earthroamer would have parked and used its "dinghy."

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610