Photo
- - - - -

How to Dismount & Mount Pickup Canopy -- Solo?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:41 PM

I'm interested in learning a way, a procedure, a rig that will allow me to dismount  and mount my canopy (aka, "cap" "shell" "topper") on my F250 and do it by myself -- without anyone's help.

It's an ARE brand CX model and weighs about 175 lbs (according to ARE specs).

20210710_150136.jpg  20210710_150152.jpg  20210710_150200.jpg

20210710_150604.jpg  20210710_150629.jpg

I'm thinking...some rig, hoist, from the rafters in my garage...something like that. There's clearance (just barely) to back my truck-with-canopy into the garage, and the rafters are open.

It would be great to see specific examples -- with photos -- showing what you or others have done.

A local friend said I should just call him and a couple of other guys and we would lift it manually.  Yeah...but I don't always have 3 friends ready to respond at a moment's notice. I'd rather be self-reliant, independent so I can gitter dun whenever I feel like it.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:50 PM

Mark, I used Brophy cable jacks to get it in the air, and then lower it to a dolly.

I am haunted by waters

#3 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 10 July 2021 - 11:43 PM

Four trash cans or 55 gallon drums; one at each corner with lumber going across.  Lift up front first then rear.  Drive off.  

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#4 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:40 AM

I built a frame attached to the fence. Same height as the truck bed rails. Lift up the topper (either with using my back flat against the topper or lately using the speaker stand for raising the camper roof) put a pipe under it and roll it onto the frame. Same for putting it back on the truck. I think having a way to lift it directly would be the easiest but I have not been inspired to build that kind of contraption.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#5 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 11 July 2021 - 09:13 PM

I built a 4' x 8' 6 wheel dolly then built wooden sides that were about level with the mounting surface of the canopy. I would roll the dolly behind the truck, chock the wheels to hold it in place, then get inside the canopy and crouch in the middle of the canopy with my back against the top. As I straitened my legs the canopy would lift off the truck just enough to slide it back. It was actually easier than it sounds.The side benefit was that there was lots of covered storage space under the canopy for camping gear etc.

#6 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:47 AM

I have mine hanging from the rafters by a cable pulley system and 120 volt wench. I was going to use this idea in the barn to load/unload my Alaskan, but changed my mind. The short chain sections are there as safeties to carry the load and keep the cable stress-free during storage. Check out youtube for how-to's.

I made a 2x4 T-post to hold the topper up off the bed rails while I slip the 2x4 stretcher under the topper. Also, one of the eyebolts on the front stretcher is removable to make it easier to slip it under the topper during install/removal.

Attached Thumbnails

• topper up.JPG
  • topper down.JPG
  • cable lift.JPG

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 July 2021 - 12:21 PM

I built a 4' x 8' 6 wheel dolly then built wooden sides that were about level with the mounting surface of the canopy. I would roll the dolly behind the truck, chock the wheels to hold it in place, then get inside the canopy and crouch in the middle of the canopy with my back against the top. As I straitened my legs the canopy would lift off the truck just enough to slide it back. It was actually easier than it sounds.The side benefit was that there was lots of covered storage space under the canopy for camping gear etc.

My first attempt at solo canopy removal was almost exactly like this, and I put my back muscles into spasms while lifting.  It worked quite nicely, but be careful lifting.

I am haunted by waters

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 July 2021 - 01:17 PM

My old bed shell had false gutters from Thule or Yakima bolted to it. I made some clips that attached to those and used a manual HF game hoist to lift it into the rafters in my old shop. I screwed a small deck cleat to one of the studs to tie-off to.

That was almost exactly 20 years ago. Today I'd use a manual HF worm gear type boat tongue winch instead. That would give better lifting power and better lowering control.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:17 PM

I did similar to thisoldcamper but with a manual hoist system - as I'd just lift up and shorten the chain on each corner until the topper is up near the ceiling.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:36 PM

I put something like this, 

Racor - PHL-R, Garage Ceiling Storage Rack Lift   mounted to the garage ceiling for taking on and off a roof top tent.  I removed the platform and used 2 electrical superstruts.  Hand crank down and slide the superstruts under the tent at either end and hand crank it up to the ceiling.  You can use a electric drill to turn the crank.  I still have it mounted in the shop and that is where the trucks back seats are stored.  Yes it may cost more than making your own pully system but 22 years ago they were cheaper. Just giving you a idea...

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B0009I8AO6

https://www.homedepo...1vZbm55Z1z116bd

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users