#1 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationRedwood Estates in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:16 AM

So at least once a year I make my way up to Oregon to drop in on my Dad. He is living just North of Salem on I5 in Wodburn. Each time up ther we try t o take a different route.

On the way to Oregon, we stop at our cabin at Eagle Lake. On the way in I got the photo of the Snow Plants on the summit of A1.

Posted Image

With the June rains, we had knee high grass to cut and spent the day there. The next day we were off to Shasta to visit some fiends. Taking hwy 139 north of Eagle:

Posted Image

Mt. Shasta on the way...

Posted Image

Edited by billr, 18 July 2009 - 06:08 AM.

2002, Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 6-speed, Standard Cab, Long Bed 4X4 1996 FWC Grandby (original owner) Redwood Estates, CA Bill Rose -- KG6VMX

#2 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:27 AM

We spent a few hours and had a nice lunch with our friends, but wanted to get on the road looking forward to our first night of camp. From Shasta, we went on up I5 to Ashland. We took Dead Indian road to Lake of the Woods.

I had spent 4 years in K. Falls at school back in the '70s. I had been past Lake of the Woods to backpacking in the Mountain Lakes area, but never spent much time there. Nice, but too crowded.

We did find one nice spot...

Posted Image

Inspired by some of DD's photos...

Posted Image

Next morning we walked down to the lake with our coffee. Sure wish I had my boat with me. I can see why th crowds.

Anyone know which peak this is?

Posted Image

Edited by billr, 18 July 2009 - 05:45 AM.

2002, Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 6-speed, Standard Cab, Long Bed 4X4 1996 FWC Grandby (original owner) Redwood Estates, CA Bill Rose -- KG6VMX

#3 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

From Lake of the Woods we made our way up the west side of Klamath Lake and on up to Crater Lake. We stopped to check out the Lodge. I have not been here since it reopened. Very nice.

Posted Image

My wife said lets keep walking, so walking we did on up Garfield Peak...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:37 AM

More from the Garfield Peak Trail...I had never been up this trail before. This was a very nice hike and I would do it again...

Posted Image

Posted Image

From here we went on north and left Crater Lake.

Posted Image

#5 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:51 AM

From Crater Lake we went past Diamond Lake and on down highway 138 and found a nice camp site at Whitehorse Falls in the Umpqua National Forest.

Posted Image

This was a nice and small camp ground with only 5 sites.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Next morning we continued down hwy 138 and then made a turn north on forest service road along Steamboat Steam.

We came across some falls that were very nice.

Posted Image

There was a nice camp ground here, but we continued on, hopping to make Woodburn later that evening.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by billr, 18 July 2009 - 06:13 AM.

#7 billr

billr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

We did hope to continue on this road to hwy 58, but came accross a sign that said road closed 4 miles ahead. So to the right was Windy Road. This showed up on my AAA sate map, so on we went.

This was the only gravel road we covered on the whole trip, and one of the nicest. The road was steep and very narrow in spots, but is was over grown with some of the most wild flowers we had seen on the trip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

We made our way on to Cottage Grove where we hit I5 on up to Woodburn and 4 days with my Dad.

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

My backyard. Those are some very nice photos thanks for posting! Next time you are in the area I'll trade a place to stay and some fine Oregon brews for some photo lessons :)

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Great pics and write, thanks for sharing and keep 'em coming.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Great report. Makes me wish I was there.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users