• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Ok, here is the story. Some of you have seen my logs and comments, wiht the "soon to own" in my signature. I still haven't ordered it but it is getting much closer, and harder to hold my tongue (or fingers) from making comments. I have been reading everything here over and over, looking at all the pictures until I can see them like I was actually there. And most of all STRESSING. I started thinking will my Taco be right for this since alot of you good folk have larger trucks. Will the Supersprings be enough, do I need to put a supercharger on too, do I need to get a ham radio, what about this that and the other thing?
Then I decided that the only reason I am getting this is because it will be for FUN. So with that in mind I thought why stress? I will order my Bobcat real soon (before October now) and start out with the Supersprings. If that isn't good enough, I will try something new, then. I will order my Bobcat built with everything in it, and with extra support for a jerry can on the back, so with that I can make the subtle changes to my truck as needed, and have no worries about what I should have gotten in my camper.
So I have twisted your ears (eyes) long enough, and must say I do feel better for letting it off. Hopefully within the month of August I will order our camper and soon be able to use it.
Thanks for listening

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Excellent thought process, pull the trigger and get the camper, the rest is gravy. You can decide later if you want a ham radio, GPS, solar power or other doo-dads. That's part of the fun, getting out there and discovering what little mods or additions would nice to have. The only obvious mod you will have to get is for your suspension, you can even do that while waiting for your camper.

Now go order that camper!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Excellent thought process, pull the trigger and get the camper, the rest is gravy. You can decide later if you want a ham radio, GPS, solar power or other doo-dads. That's part of the fun, getting out there and discovering what little mods or additions would nice to have. The only obvious mod you will have to get is for your suspension, you can even do that while waiting for your camper.

Now go order that camper!

Like SunMan said. But why before October? Unless you're waiting on finances, pull the trigger now. :)

#4 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

we were waiting until October so we could pay cash. But we refinanced our house with a lower rate and without taking any equity out. with this new lower intrest, we will be able to save more, quicker, and speed up our order, without financing. cool eh? i know it would make my pops happy.

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#5 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:20 AM

Ed,
Glad to see you're back in Santa Maria.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:13 AM

You wont regret it. So nice to be able to setup camp on a whim. not worry bout insects and whatever. Its one purchase I have never had second thoughts about.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

Ok, here is the story. Some of you have seen my logs and comments, wiht the "soon to own" in my signature. I still haven't ordered it but it is getting much closer, and harder to hold my tongue (or fingers) from making comments. I have been reading everything here over and over, looking at all the pictures until I can see them like I was actually there. And most of all STRESSING. I started thinking will my Taco be right for this since alot of you good folk have larger trucks. Will the Supersprings be enough, do I need to put a supercharger on too, do I need to get a ham radio, what about this that and the other thing?
Then I decided that the only reason I am getting this is because it will be for FUN. So with that in mind I thought why stress? I will order my Bobcat real soon (before October now) and start out with the Supersprings. If that isn't good enough, I will try something new, then. I will order my Bobcat built with everything in it, and with extra support for a jerry can on the back, so with that I can make the subtle changes to my truck as needed, and have no worries about what I should have gotten in my camper.
So I have twisted your ears (eyes) long enough, and must say I do feel better for letting it off. Hopefully within the month of August I will order our camper and soon be able to use it.
Thanks for listening

Dude it's a no brainer. Buy Pat's truck and be done with it.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

We are about to pick up our Bobcat and we will be putting it on an 06 Tacoma. We did not order all the goodies, just refrigerator, furnace, and a couple of smaller things to keep it light. I have yet to put any suspension mods on the truck. We loaded 8 guys in the back and 2 in front and found we were about 1.5 inches above the bump stops so I decided to wait and see. I'll let you know whether I feel it needs bags, Timbrens, etc.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#9 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:34 PM

Tacoma best suspension mods: Add-a-Leaf + Airbags + Heavier Shocks = Perfect Ride and Redundancy. It worked great for us and I still have the bags and shocks on the truck, the leaf had to go after we sold the camper. Cost to install and remove the leaf was about the cost of Supersprings installed so it was a break even situation. If I'd known I was going to remove the camper so soon I likely would have gone with Supersprings. Best of Luck and Congrates on the Camper.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#10 dbolton

dbolton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

What DLN said, though I went Old Man Emu and the airbags. The combination is great and (though fisherman would disagree, I think) does a very good job of controlling the camper load. Overall, I with the exception of suspension upgrades, I think the newer Tacomas are well set up for lightweight campers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users