23 replies to this topic

#1 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Back roads maps that is?

In this specific case I need to pick up stuff for various areas on CA but figured we could chat about what everyone likes to use.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm using one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...PKWBMCSQCEVXME4

Available at AAA for $19.99. Very detailed and include most if not all fire roads, parks, and campgrounds. Curious to see what others use too. I can recall Marc and Deltarat having some good maps at the DVR.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

I've become a huge fan of Benchmark Maps, over the last few years.

Currently they offer atlases for about a dozen western states, and I have ordered most of them as a replacement for another longtime favorite, the Delorme Gazetteer Maps. The Gazetteers had been sufficient but at times dated and incomplete or just hard to follow. The Benchmark Maps are incredibly detailed, easy to follow & read, as well as offering a wealth of additional local information for recreation, government offices, points of interest, etc.

The Benchmark Maps retail for $19.99, but I've had good luck ordering them through Amazon.com, where they are often marked down to $15. Well, well worth it in my opinion for those who want to find what lies beyond the pavement.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

I've been using both the Benchmark maps and the Delorme for some time. I find that in general the Benchmark maps are easier to use and have a lot more useful info like backcountry campgrounds and points of interest. However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

#5 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:07 PM

all free

1. all topo maps in the us http://libremap.org/

2. very nice tool combining topo and photography....runs stand alone on laptop...no internet needed. http://jdmcox.com look for usaphotomaps

3. and then if your in region 5 of the us forset service... http://www.fs.fed.us...estvisitormaps/
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#6 RJones

RJones

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMtns of Colorado

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

I like the Delorme Gazetteers and along with a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.
RJones

02 Eagle - 07 Tacoma TRD

#7 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

I've been using both the Benchmark maps and the Delorme for some time. I find that in general the Benchmark maps are easier to use and have a lot more useful info like backcountry campgrounds and points of interest. However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

I too use both of these and suplement them with The national Geographic Topo Series Maps. So far I haven't gotten lost yet. :unsure:

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Someone should point this thread out to Ted :P

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

However on a recent trip the Benchmark map didn't show some roads that the Delorme did.

I believe that "recent trip" was in Blackrock when you were comparing your Benchmark to my Delorme. :lol: But even my Delorme couldn't tell me that in order to drive the road we took in it's current condition, I would need a submarine.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#10 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

Benchmark Maps

These look nice, I'll probably see about grabbing these for WA, OR, and CA

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users