10 replies to this topic

#1 Log Hog

Log Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:04 AM

Hi Wanderers, 

I hope this is the right place to ask a valuation question? We will be selling our 2003 Hawk soon and I'd like to get an idea on value so we can price it right and not sit on it or give it away either. 

It is a 2003 model with all the basic equipment (factory):

Propane stove

16 gal (?) fresh water with manual faucet sink

Ice box fridge

Fold out couch interior with queen cab over

110 V shore power converter

Electric fan

(No heater, no on board battery)

Lift jacks

Following maintenance and upgrades by the factory maintenance shop during our ownership (>$3500):

New roof skin (single piece)

New roof insulation

New arctic pack insulation

New electric fan (factory damaged the original and replaced it with new!)

Roof lift assist

Other upgrades by me:

Led conversion 

New marine vinyl floor

New door hardware etc. 

Overall it is super clean for its age and will be ready to go camping, zero work needed

We had it on a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. We are the 3rd owners. All paperwork. The previous owner had it on an early 2000s Toyota Tundra. This camper, being basic is less than 700 lbs dry, so it is great for lighter trucks and looks to fit a wide range of trucks up to new ones. 

Bought a new 3/4 ton truck and ordered a new Hawk, that's the reason I am selling. 

Thanks for any input, it is much appreciated!

Edited by Log Hog, 10 June 2022 - 04:11 AM.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 June 2022 - 04:15 AM

pictures would help.  Also, good to know if it has the 3' or 4'  cabover area. 

#3 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 10 June 2022 - 12:37 PM

13500 is my guess... It will go fast..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 June 2022 - 05:23 PM

13500 is my guess... It will go fast..

I think with no fridge, heater, or batteries, around $10k would be more appropriate. But if the group consensus is the $13,500, it would be awesome for you to prove me wrong and put that larger amount towards your new rig. :) 

Just a thought - how long until your new rig is ready? If you just ordered and they are still a year out, you may not want to sell just yet and go that long without a camper.

Pretty sure they were 10 gallon water tanks back then. And to answer Vic's comment, I think they were still the 3" cabover then.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 June 2022 - 08:20 PM

4 ft cab over was an option in 2003, 3 ft standard. May or may not affect the value. Prices have gone nuts, not sure how long they will last. In 2008 bought a 2001 Hawk for $3,500 great buy. Sold the 2001 in 2013 for $7,500 and bought a used 2013 Hawk shell for $10K. Built out the shell and sold with my old truck for $34K in 2021. Might have gotten more. Good luck with your sale.

Edited by billharr, 10 June 2022 - 08:21 PM.

#6 Log Hog

Log Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 03:56 AM

It is a 3 foot cabover.

Thanks everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies and your pricing input. 

The new camper is being installed early August, so I want to get the old one ready now. I haven't prepped it, so no closeup pictures yet. Here is a snapshot from a while back, before the roof / lift upgrade. It still looks the same otherwise. :)

The wait times ordering a new camper have come down, so I think they upped capacity but also interest may have gone down with regular travel coming back. Is it enough to affect price? The new ones sure are getting more expensive every year and the base model now is 30k (+ tax), so that certainly helps keep used prices elevated. 

I'll do some more digging myself, but I do have to say, if I can get north of 10k, I'd be happy, it will help take the edge off the new purchase. ;) I paid a premium for this 2003 when I bought it because it was spotless, so I won't come out ahead, but it is still great to retain some value.

Please keep your thoughts and suggestions coming. I will keep you posted and certainly list it for sale here first once it is ready. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ram11440994943.jpg

Edited by Log Hog, 11 June 2022 - 04:16 AM.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 June 2022 - 06:15 PM

I have moved your for sale posts to the gear exchange -

2003 FWC Hawk

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Log Hog

Log Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 11:41 PM

For what it is worth and to create a record for others with value questions, I think at 9800 I had this significantly underpriced. People seem to be looking for light weight, no frills units. Also, I ended up basically doing a restoration with new floor, reworking the wood bits and giving it a deep clean. So, maybe not 13.5k, but 12k was in the cards, judging from the interest I received within the hour. MANY guys have a search out with an auto alert. 

I will talk to you guys again once the new one is here. :)

#9 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 28 June 2022 - 01:32 PM

supply and demand... Still hard to find a good used one, that isn't over 20k.. there seem to be more on the market but mostly in the higher price ranges..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#10 Wyo4Life

Wyo4Life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:56 PM

You should not have any trouble selling it as your price point sits in the "affordable" range so it will appeal to a broader range of buyers.
I can tell you the overall RV market is heading downward and it is only going to get worse. I sold my truck camper not too long ago and got a premium for it but the dealer where I bought tells me things are really softening up.
I have been looking around and will jump back in probably next year and my gut tells me selling prices will be a lot less a year from now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users