Photo
- - - - -

For Those That Have Rancho'S On A 2500...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

I'm getting ready to order some Rancho 9000's to replace my stock shocks - 70,000 miles on a 2004 Dodge 2500 Gasser.

I've had Rancho's on a previous heavy camper hauler, and liked the performance of the shock quite a bit.

I always have the FWC on the truck, so I probably wont need to dicker with the setting much once I find the sweet spot. Just wondering about those that have them - what do you set yours at with your load on? I'm thinking probably 6 or 7 in the back and 4 or 5 in the front, but just curious to what others have found most comfortable.

I see they make the RF models now so you can change them from the cab - I just don't know if I need that. I didn't mind crawling under there on the last truck, and this one will be even less changing needed. I'd like to get an inch of lift out of the change, but I think that's probably not likely to happen - or have you found that you get a little lift out of the Rancho's?
The Trial of Miles... Miles of Trials.
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Short Gas
1995 FWC Hawk
2005 Toy Tun Access Cab 4x2

#2 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

I doubt you will get any lift out of new shocks. I run the Bilstein shocks on mine w/ the Lorenz Suspension system.
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

I know Kyle is a big fan of Bilsteins and they have served him well but my buddy Gene has a 2500 CTD like me with stock suspension and he took the Bils off and installed Explorer Pro Comp 9000's and loves them. I have never had good luck with Ranchos on my little trucks and great luck with the Pro Comps so I'll be switching over on my Dodge soon. But I am a heretic....I'm also forsaking my BFG/AT's and buying a set of Hankook Dyna Pro 285/70 - 17's before we head up to do the White Rim in October. I am never going to hear the end of this from Salty.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:11 AM

Alright Jay - I'll give your advice a try...

On their way with a 2" leveling kit - When I put my 315 70 17's on I got a little rub.

Posted Image
1995 FWC Hawk

#5 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

I'm not trying to start anything, but the two products that are being discussed here are the lowest denomator in the four wheel drive world, Rancho read (Munroe) make most if not all of their products in you know where and the Phillipnes. I am proud to say that if you show up at DC Customs in Ukiah, and want products made by either mfg. we won't be able to help you. Do a little reasearch, I decided not to reccomend parts anymore, but for your dollar there is much better, unless you just want cheap.
"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#6 RonSchon

RonSchon

Bailmatic

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Hey Fish,

Thanks for the input - I have looked at a couple of truck suspension projects over the last year, and one of them was quite detailed and the person did a Kore suspension after having just done a RevTek on the truck. He did a step by step "How-To" for it, and it was impressive. Here's his linky.

I admit to knowing very little about the products - but because my current truck has 70k miles - and is not my dream machine - I'm looking for something on the cheap side, that fulfills my most basic of needs.

If my current steed was a little younger, and equipped a little more to my liking, I'd be going about this a bit differently. While it's a good truck, it doesn't have the engine or the interior I like, so I don't want to spend too much dressing it up.
1995 FWC Hawk

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Ron,
I knew we'd hear from Salty.
I just ordered a set myself.

JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

As they say to each their own but they've served me well over the years.

I sure wish they were cheap $ wise too cuz i paid a buttload for these new ones with coil overs! Ouch.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

Ron,
I knew we hear from Salty.
I just ordered a set myself.

I thought you might like to see how they're made

"I WANT TO DIE IN MY SLEEP LIKE MY GRANDFATHER, NOT SCREAMING IN TERROR LIKE THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN HIS CAR''

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

I thought you might like to see how they're made

Wow cool hand made just like my Fiat.

JayAronowSales.com