• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AFGUY

AFGUY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

Has anyone taken the road from Hwy 395 to the Saline Valley Hot springs? I'm looking for some advise as I am planning to take my Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4X4 with Arctic Fox 1150 to the hot springs. I know this is labeled as a treacherous road, so I'm planning on taking tow straps, come along, two spare tires, jack. Would appreciate any advise others could give. Thanks!

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I was in Saline Valley last November... great place.

The road in from Big Pine is ok. There are some narrow shelf roads coming in from the north but wide enough for a dually & camper. Just keep an eye out for oncoming traffic, as it will be a tight squeeze in places for two vehicles to pass each other. I would highly recommend airing down your tires if possible, to make them less resistant to punctures. Just because you're bringing two spares doesn't mean you want to have to use them, right?

I didn't think the road was particularly challenging in the traditional sense (rockcrawling-type stuff), but rather it is riddled with washboards and just enough (small) rocks to shake, rattle & roll your whole outfit. Double check your camper's cabinets, drawers and anything not secured as you go down the road. Things will shake loose, fall out, fall over, etc. Everything in your camper will be going through a washing machine effect basically.

I would also suggest finding out the very latest road conditions as you're headed out the door. Last year there was a significant rockslide over the trail (on the southern side of the SV sand dunes) and we had to creep & crawl our way over it, in the dark. Not a lotta fun, lol! And there were three different "Road Closed" signs on the road, but we were told that these are more of a deterrent to the casual traveler and that the road is always open, so we drove around them and kept on going like everyone else.

Other than that, bring some airplugs for all of the military jets doing fly-over excercises in SV and leave the bathing suits at home. You'll be over dressed if you wear one. There was a renovated old school bus there last Fall, who apparently made it in with no problems, so you should make it in ok. Personally, I liked the upper springs better for the solitude and pools, but the lower springs were really cool, set back in the trees with grassy lawns all around. That was party central during our visit.

Great place, hope you have a great trip!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#3 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

Agree with KC. Nothing technical prohibiting you from getting there, just serious bone jarring washboard. Take it s-l-o-w and you should be fine. I'm sure you know this already, but it is a long way out there and will take some time.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#4 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Agree with KC. Nothing technical prohibiting you from getting there, just serious bone jarring washboard. Take it s-l-o-w and you should be fine. I'm sure you know this already, but it is a long way out there and will take some time.

Sunny, I have to ask... did you go in the pools au naturale...? I wore a swim suit the first time and people looked at me like I was a pervert! I loosened up the next time around after a few shots and getting in "the spirit" of the place.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

Been there many times and as I'm sure Les will attest unless it's snowing like a MF it's pretty easy. Some great views and steep drop offs on the way up and through the pass but pretty negotiable. With 3 feet of snow it's a different story but very do-able. If you go during late fall or winter bring chains. It doesn't hurt to have 2 sets.

KC nailed it the upper springs are the best. Mid week is far less crowded and if school is out it will be loud RR all night long.

Like Sunny said once on the flat part of Saline Valley Rd. Its a piece of cake. Air down to soften the ride and jam.

If you don't go "au naturale" in the pools you'll be the only one.

Saline has become very popular since my first visit 35 years ago but its still a great destination.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

Sunny, I have to ask... did you go in the pools au naturale...? I wore a swim suit the first time and people looked at me like I was a pervert! I loosened up the next time around after a few shots and getting in "the spirit" of the place.

But of course! Is there any other way? Posted Image It's kind of been the unwritten law at any of the hotsprings i've been to.

Being her first hotspring experience, the GF was a little freaked at first but she got the hang of it!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

But of course! Is there any other way? Posted Image It's kind of been the unwritten law at any of the hotsprings i've been to.

Being her first hotspring experience, the GF was a little freaked at first but she got the hang of it!

I am so not going to go anywhere with that one.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:06 PM

I'll just add that once you get to the valley floor, you'll hit stretches of road over which you can easily do 50 MPH (I hit 70 once), but at those speeds the washout's and ditches appear real fast and there is very little traction for slowing down. :o The south road is longer, but is at a lower elevation, hence it gets less snow. Because of where I live, I almost always travel the south road. It's something like 60-70 miles of dirt road, but the scenery is beautiful.

I agree that the upper warm springs is the place to go. However, you should take at least one walk to the lower springs.

#9 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

I love it when the South and North Saline passes gets snowy!

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 2 of 27.jpg
  • IMGP0642.jpg
  • IMGP4171.jpg
  • IMGP4173.jpg
  • IMGP4183.jpg
  • IMGP0637.jpg
  • IMGP0648.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

That looks like quite an adventure Gene. Were you concerned about getting snowed in out there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users