11 replies to this topic

#1 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 08:56 PM

Recently noticed my two 6 volt batteries weren’t getting a full charge when running on solar. Checked out my system, bmv 712 with the included shunt, both seem fine. The red and blue lights on the dongle both flash red slowly/simultaneously.

Checked the victron site, it indicates a communication error. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the victron app, updated the firmware on the 712 and dongle. Checked all fuses, unplugged the smart dongle cable and still no luck.

Not sure the issue with my batteries not fully charging on solar relates, I don’t hook up to shore power each month.

Anyone ran into this and know of a solution?

#2 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 09:44 PM

To be a little more clear, the Bluetooth dongle will show up in the app but doesn’t provide any data, it only display the product info for the device. On the list of devices where you select the dongle it doesn’t have the three dots next to it like the bmv 712 does.

#3 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 10:41 PM

Found this which is somewhat similar, the 3rd screenshot is what my screen looks like no way to continue, which the reply states is a communication issue which my dongle is confirming by flashing red/blue simultaneously/slowly. Only thing I can try now is power on/off the mppt. Since all else seems to be working I’m guessing the shunt is bad not the dongle, mppt or bmv 712. Would plugging in the dongle to the BMV 712 work to make sure it’s not the dongle. All seems to point at the shunt, unless if it were bad my batteries wouldn’t charge at all?

https://community.vi...ching-data.html

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:01 AM

Please help me understand what you are seeing and provide some more background.  First off, has it worked before?  Next, you mention having an MPPT, BMV 712, a shunt and a dongle, correct?  Any other bits?

What I know is The BMV and shunt don't need dongles, as bluetooth is built in and the data from the shunt is passed on to the BMV via a phone type cable. 

So that means you might have a dongle for the MPPT?  This one I assume? - VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle - Victron Energy

Are you able to read the BMV data using the app? I'm thinking yes, or you would have mentioned that.

If I am guessing correctly so far, have you tried connecting with a different bluetooth device?  If you don't have another, then try deleting the Victron Connect app and reinstalling it.  

Let us know how it goes.

#5 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 12:42 AM

Hey Vic, it’s been hooked up for approximately 6 months, the dongle is plugged in to the MPPT (overland solar 100/15). The shunt I have is the one included when you buy the bmv-712. Batteries are 2 6 volt with the overland solar panel. All was installed by four wheel camper, I changed out the the original battery monitor for the 712 and installed the included shunt and plugged the dongle into the mppt. All worked well until recently, no changes to the system prior to the dongle indicating a communication error.

I did delete the app and reinstall, no luck, latest firmware is verified.

The shunt doesn’t show up on the “device list” in the app, don’t remember if it should?

The dongle you listed is what I have.

Edited by bwag, 23 August 2022 - 01:00 AM.

#6 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 01:15 AM

https://www.victrone...2-Smart-EN-.pdf

The shunt shown in this link is what I have. It connects to the 712 via a cable.

#7 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:07 AM

Was looking at my overland solar 100/15 mppt it has a yellow and green light, neither are lit up or flashing. Thinking it’s the mppt, as the green light on =power, green light blinking = batterylife
Yellow blinking fast = bulk, slow = absorption, on = float.

Here’s a link to a picture of the same one I have.

https://dasmule.com/...arge-controller

What I don’t understand is the dongle seems to get power from the mppt as it’s working and plugged in to it.

Fuse on the mppt is good.

Edited by bwag, 23 August 2022 - 03:24 AM.

#8 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 August 2022 - 03:49 PM

Used a multimeter and tested my batteries, they are two 6 volts, both have correct voltage 6.45 and 6.43, voltage on the “battery” connections to the mppt is good 12.89. Checked the “PV” connections at the mppt 28 volts, tested the solar panel 28 volts. Checking victrons troubleshooting guide (I think overland solar rebrands the victron) it stated “might be a fault at the controller” and to contact victron. I went through the rest of the troubleshooting no blown fuses or melted cables. At this point I think I’ll order the victron brand 100/15 mppt as there doesn't seem to be any other possibility.  

I did find a thread in the FWC sub forum where two people had a failure more than once with the overland solar MPPT which overland solar took care of but each had at least one failure again.  They possibly had a wiring issue and I checked in to see if they could update with any more issues after, I think a load wire was possibly the problem which possibly occurred at FWC during the build but I'm not positive on that.  

Edited by bwag, 23 August 2022 - 04:54 PM.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 August 2022 - 10:24 PM

Good info and troubleshooting.

The shunt itself doesn’t show up as an item in Victron Connect.

Sounds to me like your MPPT is toast. I remember that thread!

#10 bwag

bwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 August 2022 - 03:59 AM

New MPPT installed and powered up today, so the overland solar was unit was dead.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users