7 replies to this topic

#1 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 04:06 PM

Hey guys. I have a 2014 fleet installed full time on a 2018 tacoma. With recent heavy weather, I popped the top up and found some damp areas in the front two corners on the mattress. I have noticed my velcro and acrylic on the windows seems to be "shrinking" in possibly from the cord pulling the windows together when closing up. I have tried pulling on the window and getting a better velcro seal as I think water is seeping in up underneath and through the velcro of the window.

Every have this issue before? Thoughts on extra velcro or not using the cord to pull in the sides and just manually tuck them in if they don't come down well? I have a very light amount of possible caulking needed to be done see the picture, is this maybe a spot for a leak from the roof? I was under the impression this was mainly an overhang

#2 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 04:08 PM

You can see exteriorly the window portion looks pulled in an almost bunched up

Attached Thumbnails

• 20230117_161403.jpg
  • 20230117_103614.jpg

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 January 2023 - 07:30 PM

On my 2013 Grandby, I did have one instance of water intrusion, and I suspect it was through the Velcro while diving through Oregon’s liquid sunshine.  There is a good possibility of the same thing occurring with wind driven rain.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

What was your solution? Any extra velcro or heating up the window to stretch it out?

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 January 2023 - 11:53 PM

The only thing I did was readjust the roof latches to ensure they were not too loose, then take extra care with folding the vinyl.  I had no recurrence of the leak.  Warning:  don’t over tighten the latches. Stan@FourWheel is a member of our forum, he would be a good person to contact.

I am haunted by waters

#6 korslite

korslite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:46 PM

You can see exteriorly the window portion looks pulled in an almost bunched up

Fix that caulking failure. That can allow water to get in... ask me how I know... If you don't see anything obvious with the way your velcro is closed up, I'd almost bet its working it's way into that seam.

#7 Cbessler

Cbessler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 11:10 PM

Ordered some silaprene from fwc for the roof caulking. Had done some repairs last year but guess this failed again. Will update of it corrects the slow leak

#8 fourwheeltristan

fourwheeltristan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 09:25 PM

Ordered some silaprene from fwc for the roof caulking. Had done some repairs last year but guess this failed again. Will update of it corrects the slow leak

any update?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users