No Salmon Season?!?

CPT Davenport

Looks like the CDFW has decided to not open the season on the scheduled date of May 1st (low counts on the Klamath and the Sac). They will re-evaluate on the 15th but rumor has it, the season will not open this year. Also, now that the weather is having some windows of rest, and the crabbing has picked up, they will be shutting down crab season as well (whale entanglement)

Looks like I will be doing more camping than fishing!

Fort Peck in Montana has introduced land-locked Chinook Salmon that are doing quite well.

AWG_Pics said:
Fort Peck in Montana has introduced land-locked Chinook Salmon that are doing quite well.
Oregon, as well…

Also, over the years a small number of lakes have been planted with land-locked Chinook and coho salmon. Some of these reservoirs include Detroit Lake, Green Peter Reservoir and Lost Creek Lake, among others.”
Kokannee, are even tastier…

They're also in Lake Tahoe.. Every October they spawn in the Fallen Leaf creek.
It's really something to watch them gather in some of the pools of the stream.
And also watch the bears come down for a snack.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
They're also in Lake Tahoe.. Every October they spawn in the Fallen Leaf creek.
It's really something to watch them gather in some of the pools of the stream.
And also watch the bears come down for a snack.
Frank
Kokannee

I love all the fresh water options and hit them when I can. All of them unfortunately are so far away from me. As I write this I look out at the sunset from my back deck over the ocean. I can feel the fish are there. As much as I love inland fishing, there is something magical to me about heading out before sunrise in the fog, only guided by GPS into the open waters of the ocean. Starting at just 7 miles off shore you can get into some quality Kings. We shall see what new information the next meeting in May holds.

The salmon have been swarming the Santa Cruz harbor. As I sit on my boat in the slip, the sea lions are chasing and catching them right in front of me. No season closure for them. Had to head up to the lake this weekend and at least find some trout. Productive weekend with some lunkers. Not as tasty as salmon, but they will smoke up just fine and yummy.

Attachments

• IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 49
fish more said:
Where's the cream cheese and crackers?
My favorite!

I made my go to sweet/pepper batch.

-Equal parts brown sugar and Kosher salt for a 2-3 hour dry brine.
-Quick cold water rinse
-Light dusting of garlic powder and cracked pepper
-Air dry on rack with fan 2 hours for the Pellical layer
-Low smoked at 160-180F
-Baste with maple syrup every hour
-Remove and give final maple baste and another round of cracked pepper

I begin with pecan wood and finish up with cherry for a nice sharp, sweet, rich bark.

Fool proof and always super good.

Attachments

• IMG_3560 (1).jpg
    IMG_3560 (1).jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 31
Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks delicious! I may steal that recipe.

The things we learn here are amazing (had to look up “pellicle”).
I feel the formation of pellicle is a crucial step in smoking fish. It helps with the texture, moisture retention and smoke absorption. Adding some seasoning before it's formation also seals those flavors tight against the meat. Give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom