• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 22 July 2023 - 04:21 PM

Not quite sure where to post this, but will start here. We just returned from the mountains with temps over 100*F. My 85 liter, 2 way fridge was working overtime. 206ah lithium battery was getting down to 43% by morning. In the past when camping in the dessert with high temps, the solar would keep up fine. While camping in the trees of the mountains, not so much. I still have yet to add my DC/DC charger, but in this case it would not of helped. We set up camp and the truck would not move for 5 days at a time as we explored by boat.

- I ran the fan for the fridge. Does this really help, or is it just further draining the battery?

- The items in the door of the fridge felt warm to the touch even when set on the highest setting. I feel the lack of insulation in the door is where I was loosing most of the coolness. One thought I had is to not store items in the door but instead add foam insulation on trips like this and sacrifice the storage space.

I have an extra latch installed to make sure the door is closed as tight as possible. We also kept frequently used items such as "refreshments" on ice in a cooler so the fridge was only opened a few times a day. 

Any other suggestions to give the fridge some relief on trips where the camper sits for days and only is getting 3-4 hours of sun a day?

My solar is 175w on roof with aux 135w panel plugged in the back port.

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2023 - 08:39 PM

Not sure this will help but can't hurt. I have 200 W BB batteries with 300 watt solar. Went on a trip and was somewhat cloudy. Not super hot but 80's (that's hot for an Irishman)... gotta keep me beer cold so had 2 way Isotherm on 5 (outta 7). Next morning I was down to 60% !! I have a DC/DC charger as well. Discovered that on rough road the wire to the controller to battery was semi tight but not really.... the wire pulled out with a gentle tug. (It is the only thing I don't like about the Victron ... terminals should be a bit more robust)    SO.... just saying... check all the connections first before playing with the fridge. I thought my fridge was overworking a bit as I had started it up fast instead of the way they suggest. ... Sure enough the loose wire was the culprit.

Edited by buckland, 22 July 2023 - 08:43 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 July 2023 - 09:23 PM

If your system wiring checks out OK I recommend replacing your current solar panel with the largest single solar panel that will fit on the roof of your camper.   Unfortunately you may have to also upgrade your solar controller to accommodate the larger panel which is likely 24, 36 or 48 volt (the Solar controller model needs to be able to accept the higher voltage and put out the 12 v needed for your battery system).

In 2018 I replaced my two 100 watt solar panels with a single 360 watt residential type LG solar panel.  The new panel was less cost than the combined cost of the two 100 watt panels and it is slightly lighter in total weight, when also considering the mounts and Y cable connector between the two panel system, as well.  I did have to replace my Victron 75/15 solar controller and I went with a Victron 100/30 controller.  I think there are now panels over 400 watts that have the same footprint as my 360 watt panel.

We have done extensive multi month trips with this system and I no longer need to have the camper connected to the truck and only plug into ground power when it is convenient or when we camp in a shady place under trees.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 July 2023 - 10:40 PM

I camp in Northern Minnesota under heavy forest canopy.  For these trips I carry a 1000W inverter/generator and a 12V 35A charger.  An hour in the morning is usually enough to see me through the day.  I still get a little charge from the solar.  Haven't camped in 100º temps (never, I hope) but I would run the generator again in the evening if necessary.

200W solar, 210AH CG2s.

. . . I ran the fan for the fridge. Does this really help, or is it just further draining the battery? . . .

I am assuming you mean a fan removing the hot air from behind the fridge?  You should check to see if it is doing an adequate job.  I periodically check to see if the air back there is at or only slightly above ambient.

I try to keep the sun off the refrigerator side of the camper and off the refrigerator inside (my refrigerator is right next to the back door).

I also periodically check the inside temperatures with a infrared thermometer to make sure things are in the safe temperature zone.

On my current fridge the coolest part of the door is the rubber gasket sealing the door.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 23 July 2023 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for the input and suggestions y'all. More solar, more battery storage or a portable outside power source would help. I just feel the Isotherm is under insulated. When only opening 3-5 times per day it should be able to retain its chill. My cooler can hold ice in those temps for five days and that is with frequent opening throughout the day. Agreed that parking with the fridge side away from the sun helps a lot. Yes the fan I'm running is the one behind the fridge. I'm thinking about also running the roof fans on low and venting with my turnbuckle doors when we are off away from the camper for the day. My only concern is will the extra juice used to run three fans save juice by keeping the fridge from working so hard? The whole thing boils down to the fridge not holding the cold good enough.

I freeze 1 gallon jugs of water for my cooler and drink when they thaw. I may try to insulate the fridge door and put a frozen water bottle in. I will have to then limit what perishables I bring to compensate for the loss of space. 

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:25 AM

Another possibility is to put frozen blue ice packs in the freezer compartment. Buy a smaller YETI cooler to store your veggies etc. in while you are away from the camper & cycle the blue ice containers between the Yeti & the fridge early in the day to allow them to refreeze while solar is at a maximum & the fridge is running anyway.

Alternatively, buy block ice for the Yeti when you are traveling. It sometimes just takes experimentation to make improvements in ice management to meet your needs.  We have also used dry ice wrapped it in newspaper or cloth to extend its life when available.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 23 July 2023 - 09:03 PM

I have the 130L TruckFridge and added an inch of foam insulation to the top, bottom and back of the fridge. I would have done the same to the sides if it wasn't such a tight fit. I also pay attention to sun direction when parking and usually park with the back facing north in hot weather.

Keeping the fridge fully loaded with pre-cooled food and drinks creates a large thermal mass that maintains temperature better. I also keep some frozen water bottles in the freezer compartment which reduces the compressor cycling.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:03 PM

+! to that. Leave as little space as possible... frozen half gallon jugs of water last a long time and thereafter drinking water.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:28 PM

Keeping direct sun/heat off the side with the refrigerator makes a BIG difference.  I just returned from a wonderful father daughter trip in the Painted Hills, and the first night was brutal.  I parked with the refrigerator facing west.  My thermostat controlled fan kicked on about 1:30 PM and ran until 10:00.

I repositioned so the refer was shaded in the afternoon, and the fan never came one.  That said, the refrigerator kept things wonderfully cold.  The fan is very helpful!

I am haunted by waters

#10 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 24 July 2023 - 02:32 PM

+! to that. Leave as little space as possible... frozen half gallon jugs of water last a long time and thereafter drinking water.

I have always kept the fridge stuffed to the max thinking the same thing. I did just watch a video that explained the need for some space around the edges in there so the cool air can circulate. This was for an absorption style fridge. I wonder if the same need for circulation is present with the compressor style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users