4 replies to this topic

#1 CamperGal

CamperGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMalibu, CA

Posted 25 July 2023 - 12:39 AM

Hi, I am new and this is my first posting. I have been a camper enthusiast for years and I love trucks, campers and camping. I have an F-350 with a Lance. But I recently acquired a 1966 F-100. It really needs a camper and for various reasons and I decided on an Alaskan 8 foot NCO. I posted a wanted ad on craigslist and received a response offering a 1970 FG. I was really looking for something older to complete my mid-60’s looking. Should I go with fiberglass? It is not restored and I can see it has some issues.  Also, I have no idea what to offer.  I have seen the older one being offered between $500 and $6,000. The camper is a few hundred miles away so I can’t just pop-over to see the pop-up. My other issue is almost none of the sellers have jacks. Should a purchase a set before I buy the camper so I am prepared? What jacks are recommended? And do I really need them if I do not plan on taking it off the truck? 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 July 2023 - 12:31 PM

Hi CamperGal, 

I can’t help a great deal with your decision about the glass NCO, but I can welcome you to Wander the West.  I’m sure some of the members with Alaskans will chime in.  From reading the forums, it seems that many of the older metal clad campers require replacement of parts of the wood frame because of rot.  The glass camper might not be as susceptible(?)… IDK

Good luck and have fun with what ever you find to compliment that ‘66 F100.

I am haunted by waters

#3 dastrom

dastrom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 02:10 AM

Alaskans come up for sale quite often on the west coast.  Search facebook marketplace and maybe join some of the 4 Alaskan groups on facebook.  They are listed for sale there often and you can get an idea of what they sell for with plenty of advice!

Edited by dastrom, 27 July 2023 - 02:10 AM.

#4 CamperGal

CamperGal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMalibu, CA

Posted 13 August 2023 - 07:34 PM

Thank you for the advice. I found and purchaded an 9 foot NCO on ebay. Of corse it is in worse shape than the photos show. Espcially the paint. Just got it today! Now I have to figure out how to get it on my truck.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 August 2023 - 12:33 AM

Thank you for the advice. I found and purchaded an 9 foot NCO on ebay. Of corse it is in worse shape than the photos show. Espcially the paint. Just got it today! Now I have to figure out how to get it on my truck.

Congratulations on the new to you camper!  Pictures?

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaskan, wanted, FG, Jacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users