• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 August 2023 - 03:39 PM

We are heading back to AK in a couple weeks. A lucky trip of only 2 weeks. My nephew has a camper for us to use out of Seward. It is so strange to think we will get there in only 12 hours from the east coast as we had driven there and back in 2017. But any AK, no matter how short is good AK. Just happened on this  and thought to share.

https://www.adfg.ala...al_calendar.pdf

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 August 2023 - 10:34 PM

Have a great trip Rob.

I wish we were going back also.

At least I have loads of photos from our previous 5 trips.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:06 PM

FIVE! I have a lot of catching up to do! ... this is a short trip only by luck of family being there. My hope is to do the trip again in the camper before i no longer can. The Baja trip taught me my present limitations. AK was a lot easier and I hope i could handle another before I hit 75. (69 soon). The aging "curve"  in not linear... exponential is more like it. Make hay while the sun shines... do not hesitate. 

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:43 PM

Rob, have fun!  Sounds like a nice time!

I am haunted by waters

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 11:50 PM

FIVE! I have a lot of catching up to do! ... this is a short trip only by luck of family being there. My hope is to do the trip again in the camper before i no longer can. The Baja trip taught me my present limitations. AK was a lot easier and I hope i could handle another before I hit 75. (69 soon). The aging "curve"  in not linear... exponential is more like it. Make hay while the sun shines... do not hesitate. 

We made trips in 1990 1992,with our daughters tenting/ferry. 2009 just us tenting,2011 2016 with the Bobcat.

All memorable trips.Lots of ferry time.

Post photos so I can be envious. Also have a goodie at the "church"and 3 sisters in Homer if you get there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 01:11 AM

Have a good trip Rob. Hope to get back there soon !

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 August 2023 - 12:50 PM

Thanks all! I am excited to be lucky enough to get back... we are really keeping the costs down with air miles paying for flight. We stay with my nephew for a few days, then in his camper for a week. Our splurges are on arrival taking the 5 hour train from Anchorage to Seward. The other major expense will be a flight ... hoping to see some bears at Clark Lake and really hoping to get a chance to drop down on lake to see Proenneke’s cabin. As a woodworker and someone who was blown away by his filming the building of his cabin and 35 year life there, it is a bucket list thing if possible. 

Henry David Thoreau

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:07 PM

That sounds like some very fun/interesting plans.

The train ride should be fun.

Frank

#9 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 27 August 2023 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the link to the great calendar planner!  I have been mulling the timing of Baja and Alaska trips and when to go where, so this will add some fuel to that internal debate. Have a great trip.  I've been 3 times to the panhandle, but want to make a drive there soon.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 August 2023 - 06:08 PM

Rob

My neighbor just got back from there and somewhere along the way picked up the latest version of Covid. She had the last booster in April. I guess she showed the first signs of it on the plane home.  She is real sick and about my age, at home now.  Don't know if this is of any use/help to you, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.  She took a plane from Reno to Seattle, then cruz ship to Ak and back again:  Not much help there, some info is better than no info.  Hope this doesn't spoil your trip!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users