518 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

We all spend thousands of dollars on our trucks and campers. And then there's all the toys: cameras, kayaks, bikes, etc. = $$$$$ laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But what about the other end of the spectrum? How much bang can you get for the least buck?
I'm suggesting we start a thread to share our low cost solutions; say $10  $25 or less.
This is meant to be fun, so feel free to show off your rubber band powered, Rube Goldberg special edition mods! biggrin.gif
Extra points for speed of install and reuse of something you already own.

I'll start off with my 99 cent solution to mount the omnipresent roll of paper towels.
Up until now, we store the roll in half the upper cabinet, which hogs a lot of space and is not easy to access.

Voila! Five minutes of time with materials scrounged from my garage and . . .

i-Dw5D4hK-M.jpg

I put two #8 sheet metal screws into the bottom of the over-the-couch cabinet and used a mini-bungie cord between them.
One end I bent the hook around the screw to keep it there.
Mounting the paper towel roll requires a quick fish of the bungie and then hook it up there.
The friction is just right to pay out towels, but also to tear off with the snap o' the wrist.

i-HxZV5kj-M.jpg

This mod is not field tested. wink.gif
We're heading out for a three or four day trip over Thanksgiving, so we'll give it a good shake down.
We're also going to try a mod I have done to our settee to create a better lounging experience at night. If that works, I'll share in a later post.

Anyone else have something cheap and effective to share?

Edited by Lighthawk, 06 December 2015 - 10:37 PM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:21 AM

I like the paper towel rack! I think I may copy that one.

My cheap kitchen mod is a spice rack. Great place to keep all this stuff handy and right where I want it. I bought a CD rack at the craft store (yes, I went to a craft store :( ) and cut it in half. Four little metal L brackets, two short wood screws each and it's on. We are very happy with this mod, and it is definitely road tested and approved.

Posted Image
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#3 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:23 AM

Good topic idea, btw. Could be a very useful reference.

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:32 AM

Posted Image

Very cool, Gormley. I recognize a bottle of Tabasco in there. Muy sabroso!
Maybe I need to measure my Tapa Tio bottle and start thinking about this.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:16 AM

Here is another Spice rack I ran across. Have not made one yet...It's on the list.

spice rack (Large).jpg
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#6 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:37 AM

Very cool, Gormley. I recognize a bottle of Tabasco in there. Muy sabroso!
Maybe I need to measure my Tapa Tio bottle and start thinking about this.

Just low enough to keep the Tabasco in there with the roof lowered. I made sure of it. There's also a Lizano in there from Nicaragua, más caliente.

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

Double your $10.00 limit but a big bang for the buck. I put a digital programmable thermostat on the heater, $19.00 at Home Depot. Programmed to shut down after we are in bed and comes on just before I want to get up. Note doubles as an alarm clock :rolleyes: . Used it everyday on my big tip.

#8 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Double your $10.00 limit but a big bang for the buck. I put a digital programmable thermostat on the heater, $19.00 at Home Depot. Programmed to shut down after we are in bed and comes on just before I want to get up. Note doubles as an alarm clock :rolleyes: . Used it everyday on my big tip.

Pics or it didn't happen

#9 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

I'll start off with my 99 cent solution to mount the omnipresent roll of paper towels.

The friction is just right to pay out towels, but also to tear off with the snap o' the wrist.
This mod is not field tested.
We're heading out for a three or four day trip over Thanksgiving, so we'll give it a good shake down.

This looks good, and I may try it. I woPosted Imagender if the roll will stay rolled under bumpy conditions...Posted Image
In your T-day jaunt perhaps you could find some really nice washboard and see how it holds up to high-amp vibration...maybe the north-entrance Saline Valley road? Posted Image
I'd test it myself, but I have a car-based trip to visit the Folks planned for T-Day. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

This looks good, and I may try it. I woPosted Imagender if the roll will stay rolled under bumpy conditions...Posted Image
In your T-day jaunt perhaps you could find some really nice washboard and see how it holds up to high-amp vibration...maybe the north-entrance Saline Valley road? Posted Image
I'd test it myself, but I have a car-based trip to visit the Folks planned for T-Day. Posted Image

Maybe just a rubber band over the roll during travel.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users