13 replies to this topic

#1 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:15 AM

Yes, the '58 NCO top rebuild saga continues.

Much has been learned and much, much more has been... well, forcibly learned. ;-D

Today's fun and frivolity focused on the camper's rail system. I *thought* my primary issue with raising and lowering had something to do with the hydraulic system. Then I thought it had to due with the rust and gunk in/on the rails; both bulkhead and camper bottom, yet those have now been 'cleaned-up'.  Upon further inspection and testing, 2 of my camper bottom rails are incredibly bent and simply won't allow the bulkhead rails to travel past a specific point; different location for each of the two. :-/

Given the state of the rails, I'm considering the following options:

1. Continue to try and refurbish what I've got,

2. Order USED rails that are in working order,

3. Order NEW rails (assuming one can), or

4. Heading over to my local metal fabricator and having spec rails crafted.

I assume that my camper isn't the first with this issue so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has addressed this in prior posts (if so, please do tell!). I'm honestly tempted down path #4, designing beefier, much more sturdy rails, but am open to suggestions.  All comments and insights are welcome! Thx in advance.  (Note:  I'll take and post pics in the morning.)

- Kansafornia (aka Tom)

#2 Teknomad

Teknomad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:30 AM

Not sure how much digging you've done into the condition of the wooden structure but feel free to take a look at my website where I documented my rebuild of a supposedly 1981 CO.  I had a lot of rot issues.

I went through the cleaning and lubing procedures but my rails all seem to be fine however you might want to check the Lower Cab - Hydraulics section of my website to see how I dealt with my issues.

Hope this helps :  antonsicon.com

Edited by Teknomad, 06 September 2023 - 03:30 AM.

#3 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 12:28 PM

Thx Teknomad! Indeed I've spent hours - literally hours - on your site.  It's best in class for information, your image documentation unrivaled.  In fact, I've used several of your suggestions in my rebuild to date and will likely use more as I continue through my camper's upper.

I *believe* that what I thought were hydraulic system issues simply ended up a small leak; which I've since addressed. Only time will tell. 

Did you need to replace any of your rails? It doesn't appear so per your blog. Wondering if you too experienced this bent rail issue and, if so, how you overcame it.

Thx again for the blog!  Truly invaluable for those of us on the rebuild path.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 September 2023 - 01:47 PM

Tom, have you called Alaskan to see if replacement rails are available?

I am haunted by waters

#5 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:52 PM

Had similar issues with my rebuild; removed rails and was able to straighten them to where they were true to a straightedge, which solved the problem. Had they been more severely bent/corroded, would have had to replace or fabricate. Or, maybe current-model Alaskan rails could be retrofit.

#6 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 05:08 AM

Tom, have you called Alaskan to see if replacement rails are available?

No sir, not yet.  It may be that the new brackets - a complete set - would be the best option; assuming availability.  I'll send Brian an email.

#7 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 05:09 AM

Had similar issues with my rebuild; removed rails and was able to straighten them to where they were true to a straightedge, which solved the problem. Had they been more severely bent/corroded, would have had to replace or fabricate. Or, maybe current-model Alaskan rails could be retrofit.

Great suggestion!

#8 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 04:04 AM

An update on this thread: 

The wonderful folks at Alaskan Camper (Dorrie and Bryan) have sent a set of their new Alaskan Camper rails and slides; received today. The rails are 2" wide which is ~7/8" wider than the originals and feel much more substantial/stronger. They're also ~6" longer than the originals so I'll likely cut them down and cleanup the edges. I look forward to attaching them.

I've awaited the rails before continuing the camper top build. At this point I've built new bulkheads from 5/8 cabinet grade baltic ply which are ready to hang.  I've also cut, prepped, and reinforced the 2x2 stays and cross members.  Electrical componentry is also in-house, I simply need to install and interlink the various systems (shore, solar, batteries) and loads (lights, plugs, USB ports, etc.).

Note: I'd post pics - I've taken MANY pics - however I'm a bit challenged as to where to host them so as to link and show them herein.  I'd love to understand your suggestions/best practices as I'd like to accompany this and other threads with relevant pics.  Plmk what you're doing.

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 October 2023 - 02:40 PM

Kansafornia, there are pinned threads in the Member Support forum that help with photos.  I host photos here in a gallery or on Flickr.

Send me a PM if you need help, our site isn’t the most friendly when it comes to adding photos.

I am haunted by waters

#10 Kansafornia

Kansafornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 05:29 PM

Rails

#https://www.flickr.c...7720311739862/#

Taped Rails

https://www.flickr.c...7720311739862/#