Photo

Critter Cam for outside the camper at night?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 September 2023 - 09:44 PM

Headed to Yellowstone and thought it would be interesting to see what critters wander by the camper in the night.

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless system that doesn't require WIFI, cellular or internet?

I see game camera 4 packs for sale, probably the least expensive option, but that would require attaching and removing each camera daily and accessing the SIM cards to view the footage. I'd probably forget and drive off with them hanging on a tree or the side of the truck. 

We have 5 Blink cameras outside the house to view the deer, raccoons, bobcats and such, and it's easy to view on the cell phone each morning, but I'm not aware of a system like that that would work in the camper without WIFI. I'm not wanting to drill holes or run wires.

/2

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 September 2023 - 11:49 PM

As you may know cell service is limited in YNP.

Finding a system that works without cell service would be great.

Lots of critters in YNP to view at night.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 13 September 2023 - 03:07 PM

Lots of critters in YNP to view at night.

Frank

That's what I figured Frank, not only there but most of the out of the way places we visit. It would be fun to see what snoops around the truck after we turn in.

It seemed like a simple thing, some battery powered cameras that attach to the outside and Bluetooth images to a DVR in the camper with a small monitor attached, but I'm not finding anything like that. Most are elaborate, expensive wired systems geared toward security for big expensive RV's.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:11 PM

Can you just use a regular critter cam mounted to the camper?

That way you won't drive off without it.There has to be a inexpensive way

out there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:29 PM

Can you just use a regular critter cam mounted to the camper?

That's the current plan, but I was hoping there might be an option closer to a camera or cameras on the outside and a monitor inside, kind of like looking out the window without having to look out the window, just glance over at the monitor and see what's going on outside without opening the door or lifting the window covers and scarring off whatever curious critters might be hanging out.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 11:11 PM

Not a tech genius but could you use another smart phone/device outside and connect with Bluetooth?

I saw something about an App that will let you use a"smart device" and connect to Bluetooth.

The outside device has to be powered all the time.

Does Bluetooth need WiFi?

Frank

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:07 PM

How about this?

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B0B7GQWRKS

#8 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:01 PM

That's cool, thanks, and close to what I envisioned except for needing to be hard wired, and it doesn't have motion sensors and the ability to record segments for later viewing. Also I want to avoid drilling any holes in the camper if at all possible.

I know, not much to ask....

#9 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 14 September 2023 - 03:20 PM

I guess the criteria would be battery operated cameras with motion detection and night vison connected wirelessly to a 12V DVR that has a monitor for viewing live and recorded footage. Ideally you could connect multiple cameras, ether with suction cups or magnets to the vehicle or placed on trees, chairs or tables around the campsite.

Easy, right?

#10 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 05 October 2023 - 11:09 PM

Follow up.

Not surprisingly I didn't find the critter cam of my dreams and the game camera option may have worked, however....

.... our 3 night neighbor in our campsite in the Slough Creek Campground near the Lamar Valley felt compelled to leave the very bright exterior lights on his camper on all night.

When asked why he left his lights on he stated that "this isn't a dark sky designated area" and that he wanted to be able to see outside should anything, or anyone make noise outside his camper at night. I mentioned it was kind of annoying to have bright lights shining in my open windows all night with such pleasant weather and in such a beautiful wilderness setting and his response was that I could close my blinds. He continued to rattle off his justifications for using his lights as I wished him a pleasant visit and turned and walked away to his continued to "blah blah blah" to my retreating back.

We didn't see any tourists get gored by a Bison or mauled by a Grizzly, but I can think of one that I would have enjoyed seeing get stomped by an Elk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users