11 replies to this topic

#1 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 08:09 AM

As part of my lithium battery upgrade, I’d like to upgrade the electrical outlets in my 2017 Fleet. Specifically, I’d like yo change one of the original USB-A outlets for USB-C, and I’d like to install an inverter that will allow use of the 110v AC outlet with battery power.

Can you recommend high-quality parts that would make these modifications relatively easy? For the USB-C outlet I’d like something that works with the existing panel for a simple part swap, and preferably with 2 plugs and about 75W of power. For the inverter, I’d like a pure sine wave that can be wired to the existing 110v outlet in the panel.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 01:08 PM

Many options out there, 1 option are the blue sea marine grade components which used by many on this site. If it were me I would stay away from the ultra cheap no name imports.

#3 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 23 September 2023 - 03:08 PM

As Beach indicated, the Blue Sea products are the gold standard and is what FWC uses for the standard panel. However, the last time I looked, Blue Sea didn’t have a USB C option. Powerwerx is also generally regarded highly for their components, so I was considering one of their replacement plugs like this:

https://powerwerx.co...qc30-typec-qc40

However, I haven’t had a chance to try it yet to see if it fits as a direct replacement for the existing USB A plug.

Regarding the inverter, the most important thing is to make sure you size it correctly for your anticipated loads and then make sure your batteries and charging system are also sized to support it. I use a Victron Phoenix 1200 VA inverter, which has been reliable so far. However there are a lot of options, and you really need to determine the power requirements first.

-Scott

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#4 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 23 September 2023 - 03:27 PM

I just installed one of these and have been using it for a week. 2x 30W USB-C outlets and 1x 18W USB-A. One reason I chose this one was that it is easy to cover the display with a small piece of electrical tape, so that it is completely dark at night. I use all three outlets; It’s been working well.

https://www.amazon.c...o_dp&th=1&psc=1

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 September 2023 - 05:12 PM

A search would reveal my post how and what I added. Patrick

https://www.wanderth...-usb-c-outlets/

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 24 September 2023 - 04:05 AM

USB charging has undergone at least 5 upgrades, and more will come. For this reason, I have stayed with the "cigarette lighter" outlet and upgraded the USB adapter. My latest iteration lets me run/charge our laptops as well a fast charge our phones.. The highest current socket I have found is an all metal socket - much like the original designed for an actual lighter. There are also sockets that have a twist to lock for the insert. Rough roads do not jiggle the insert out. (Electronics are a significant draw on our battery - about 15 Ah.)

USB cables are not all the same. Some handle high wattage but data at slow speed, Some are low wattage and slow speed. Some are high speed and high wattage. "Thunderbolt" USB-C cables handle high wattage and very high speed. Price is one clue, but read the specs before you buy. The higher end cables are USB-C to USB-C cables but not all USB-C cables handle high wattage and high data rate. The USB-C cable shipping with the iPhone 15, for example, is a slow data rate cable. Note also that the higher end cables are not just wires - there is circuitry behind the connector.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#7 WanderingBison

WanderingBison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 10:26 PM

I have been using Coolgear USB-C power supplies for a few years now and they can’t be beat. I chose those units because they could power/charge my MacBook Pro in addition to fast charge iPads, etc. And deliver 140w +

The only downside side is that they don’t come in a form factor where you can simply swap out your old outlets as they need more electronics and heat management. If that’s a show stopper, they also sell “extension” ports/outlets that you could use to place the actual unit in a hidden location and extend the ports to the original location in the typical round port style.

I have not used those extensions, so I don’t know if there are any considerations.

Google is your friend and their support is great to deal with.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2023 - 11:41 PM

I have been using Coolgear USB-C power supplies for a few years now and they can’t be beat. I chose those units because they could power/charge my MacBook Pro in addition to fast charge iPads, etc. And deliver 140w +

The only downside side is that they don’t come in a form factor where you can simply swap out your old outlets as they need more electronics and heat management. If that’s a show stopper, they also sell “extension” ports/outlets that you could use to place the actual unit in a hidden location and extend the ports to the original location in the typical round port style.

I have not used those extensions, so I don’t know if there are any considerations.

Google is your friend and their support is great to deal with.

I looked at their www site. Nice stuff. I could NOT find the round port style units, or the extensions. Can you link to those please?

#9 WanderingBison

WanderingBison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 September 2023 - 11:43 PM

I looked at their www site. Nice stuff. I could NOT find the round port style units, or the extensions. Can you link to those please?

Happy to help - I remember they were a pain to find, under cables <shrug> - https://www.coolgear.../usb-extensions

#10 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 05:24 PM

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! For the moment I'm using a cigarette-lighter adapter for USB-C charging, and I've decided to punt down the calendar a bit. It'll definitely happen, but work and other responsibilities have slowed down my camper projects a bit. With the exception of a solar upgrade, but that's a topic for another thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users