19 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2023 - 04:03 PM

Does anyone here have a critique and recommendations on the Garmin Overlander from personal use and experience with it? I would appreciate your insights. Thank you.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,605 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 October 2023 - 04:31 PM

Following

I did find this review with a Google search.  Sounds like it might be worthwhile (maybe).

I am haunted by waters

#3 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 05:15 PM

We like our Garmin Overlander even though we haven't (yet) downloaded any maps on to it or frankly used any of it's more sophisticated features. We do appreciate the built-in iOverlander app...

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:01 PM

Following

I did find this review with a Google search.  Sounds like it might be worthwhile (maybe).

Thanks Mr. Sage! I've read and watched many of the reviews and such online. I'm especially interested on what our experienced members here on WTW have to say.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,361 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:03 PM

We like our Garmin Overlander even though we haven't (yet) downloaded any maps on to it or frankly used any of it's more sophisticated features. We do appreciate the built-in iOverlander app...

Thanks Durango1! I'm particularly interested in how it works out of the box, so your perspective is valuable.

#6 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:54 AM

I have had mine for quite s few years. IMHO it's ok and possibly better than many for exploring.

Having the Ioverlander DB in it is great.

Programming a route is horrible. for preplanning you use Explorer (web Based) while it may look great there by the time you get it downloaded and the overlander recalculates it its different.

if all you do is pick one waypoint to go to its routing is like any GPS it will get you there but maybe not the way you want to go.

I find it clumsy in its interface. while it has different map layers it also has 2 separate aps, the normal driving ap and the Explore ap that has the more detailed topo maps.

I found the maps to be inadequate the further north i got, (I may not have downloaded the right maps)

The last thing that may be a concern is continued support from Garmin. The Overlander has been around for a while. IIt looks to me they are pushing the Tread Overland edition more. I have not seen much about the tread, it uses yet another AP/Web interface.

I would like to see another product that has an offline system to program it and uses the same routing program.

As much as I love to hate my Garmins they do seem to be the best out there. Most of what I use them for is to know where I am. I don't follow instructions or routes well.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#7 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:27 PM

hey ski.  would be interested in any gps direction you go with. 

Oregon

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 23 October 2023 - 07:40 PM

I haven't used the Overlander model, but have used several other Garmin units. I'm curious what it has that a smart phone doesn't have? It looks rugged, that's a plus. The $700 cost is a minus. How do you update the maps? Garmin interfaces on several of my devices were a bit confusing, but I got used to them. Garmin bought InReach some time ago, but that device is poor for navigation.

What does the Overlander have over a regular auto GPS device?

The nice thing about phones is they are continuously updated. Planning at home using CalTopo is wonderful, and it shows up. I load Google maps onto the phone for remote areas, topographic maps for hiking, and different layers for CalTopo like the MVUM (motor vehicle use map) for roads, mapbuilder overlay for up-to-date roads, cell phone coverage maps, and of course topo maps. We also use the iOverlander app on the phones -- it works out of cell range. Sometimes I also load the 2016 Forest Service maps, and for national parks the park service maps.

The big issue with phones is battery life, but while driving it's not really an issue. For hiking, I carry my worn-out old phone as primary navigation device, and my new phone as backup. My wife also has a phone, so we have more redundancy (and they are our cameras too). Even better redundancy is paper maps. My hiking Garmin GPS unit had much better battery life than the older phones, but I stopped using it up years ago.

I used to poo-poo GPS devices and smartphones, but wish I hadn't!

Edited by rubberlegs, 23 October 2023 - 07:48 PM.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 October 2023 - 12:36 PM

one big thing the Overlander has over a smart phone is screen size.

I have met people using a tablet for navigation, I think many of them need a separate GPS receiver.

I stopped using Google maps for a longer trip. I had picked an alternate route I knew and while on it Google decided I was wrong and rerouted me, with out notification.

I have Avenza loaded on my phone and find it good for location, it doesn't do navigation (I think). but you can download a lot of different maps including the MVUM and lots of different Topo's for free. I like looking at the historical topo's

Ioverlander works without cell service but with no maps.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#10 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 24 October 2023 - 10:56 PM

Screen size is a plus for the Overlander, especially if you don't have a right-seat navigator. We had an Android tablet that worked, but an operating system updated killed its performance. We switched to an iPad, but was surprised the non-cell version didn't read the satellites. Arg!! 

We put intermediate destinations when we want to force Google maps on a long route, which helps keep it on course. But it eats batteries, so don't leave the phone app navigating on a long drive the whole way. Plus for a dedicated car navigation device.

I just now put my phone in airplane mode. In iOverlander, I found a nearby campsite and clicked on "Google Maps" at the bottom. It routed since I had previously downloaded that area of Google maps.

It's a plus for smart phones that you can switch between apps, each with its strengths and weaknesses. I use about a half dozen nav apps. On a computer you can plan a route, for example with RideWithGPS or CalTopo/Gaia, and export it to most of the others. Garmin has its own app, but it doesn't seem as easy to use. None of my bike riding buddies use the Garmin app. Maybe it's improved? Can you transfer a route from a home computer to the Overlander?

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users