11 replies to this topic

#11 Maddogs

Maddogs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSouthcentral WA

Posted 23 November 2023 - 07:22 PM

with the NOCO hooked up like that the battery monitor can't count the electrons flowing in or out of your batteries... the negative of the charger has to go on the shunt like everything else.

I guess I'm not understanding why this would be...  I'm no electrical engineer but if the battery is a simple tank and it's getting filled by solar and\or alternator with their connections, and is also getting filled by the noco with a direct battery connection, why would it matter what the power source is if the tank\battery has it's own connection to the monitor\shunt to measure the fullness of the tank?

Edit: I guess I did forget to mention I am only concerned with what the voltage is and calculated state of battery charge percentage is on the monitor at any given time, not necessarily the measurement of variable flow of current or anything else the charger is providing when hooked up like is happening with the solar and alternator connected via the shunt and +\- buses.   I am happy trusting the little green light on the charger and the battery voltage reading on the monitor to feel confident enough things are working.    Plus it's a major PIA to get to the shunt in this camper :-).

Edited by Maddogs, 23 November 2023 - 07:55 PM.

'23 Hawk shell on  '23 Tundra Limited

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,953 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 November 2023 - 06:06 PM

I guess I'm not understanding why this would be...  I'm no electrical engineer but if the battery is a simple tank and it's getting filled by solar and\or alternator with their connections, and is also getting filled by the noco with a direct battery connection, why would it matter what the power source is if the tank\battery has it's own connection to the monitor\shunt to measure the fullness of the tank?

Edit: I guess I did forget to mention I am only concerned with what the voltage is and calculated state of battery charge percentage is on the monitor at any given time, not necessarily the measurement of variable flow of current or anything else the charger is providing when hooked up like is happening with the solar and alternator connected via the shunt and +\- buses.   I am happy trusting the little green light on the charger and the battery voltage reading on the monitor to feel confident enough things are working.    Plus it's a major PIA to get to the shunt in this camper :-).

"why would it matter what the power source is if the tank\battery has it's own connection to the monitor\shunt to measure the fullness of the tank?" 

If the batteries have a built in BMS as some LiFePo4 batteries do, you could have a great point, if they had a built in shunt.  My BattleBorn batteries do not.  And a voltmeter is not a good alternative.  Accurately determining the SOC requires counting all the current going in and out. 

You demonstrated why this is important when you had to "synchronize" the Renogy display to 100%.  If you use your NOCO again, it will have to be reset again, every time you are sure it is full.

I hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users