• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:43 PM

Oh the humanity!.... Can't help it ! There are really people out there like this!!  Like.... the Grand Canyon is "just a big hole" .... whoa. At least I got a few laughs!

https://wapo.st/3OT85pA

(This a is a "gift" shared link as I have an account) 

Edited by buckland, 22 February 2024 - 12:53 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:35 PM

Rob, there should be more people like those in the article, it keeps them away from the places we love.   Build lots of golf courses, close to the cities… very close to the cities. :)

I am haunted by waters

#3 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:47 PM

Ya Malls used to be a great magnet for folks I avoid. 

Henry David Thoreau

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:16 PM

I wish more folks would read and heed those warnings. My only complaint with our NPs is the extreme overpopulation of visitors. I do realize that I also add to that number, but I feel that I'm seeking out the beauty for a different, more spiritual experience. Many visitors are there just so they can post a cool pic on instagram. This type of visitor made us turn tail and run at our recent visit to Yosemite this last fall. We could not wait to escape the masses! This same mentality has affected the beach across the street from my house. During covid, a few people posted some photos and now every weekend the beach is full of city folk that bring nothing but bad attitudes and leave all their trash for me to pick up.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:16 PM

Make everything "virtual" and they all stay home. YouTube and Amazon is getting us there. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:18 PM

I wish more folks would read and heed those warnings. My only complaint with our NPs is the extreme overpopulation of visitors. I do realize that I also add to that number, but I feel that I'm seeking out the beauty for a different, more spiritual experience. Many visitors are there just so they can post a cool pic on instagram. This type of visitor made us turn tail and run at our recent visit to Yosemite this last fall. We could not wait to escape the masses! This same mentality has affected the beach across the street from my house. During covid, a few people posted some photos and now every weekend the beach is full of city folk that bring nothing but bad attitudes and leave all their trash for me to pick up.

Same story on the "snow" side of the state.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:55 PM

I have a solution!!! Really. I am not sure when the RV lobbies got involved but our national parks are now national parking lots.
No camper longer than 25 feet. Period. No electricity provided nor generators allowed. That would open up twice as many sites half the size and eliminate 60% of the folks… why are we allowing and providing for those monster rigs? It is not a place for them. I was recently out on Cumberland island off Georgia. Folks got on the ferry with tents only. It was so nice to see.

Henry David Thoreau

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:57 PM

When you realize these people are a very small fraction of park visitors it doesn't bother me. I mean some people don't like bacon!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:12 PM

Make everything "virtual" and they all stay home. YouTube and Amazon is getting us there. :)

I could not agree more. The sooner people so inclined decamp into their living rooms with their virtual worlds, the better. I hope they consider the advantages: no fuel expended, always close to the fridge and pantry, a comfy lounger, no expensive outdoor clothes, never too cold or hot, safe as could be!  :cool:

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

I could not agree more. The sooner people so inclined decamp into their living rooms with their virtual worlds, the better. I hope they consider the advantages: no fuel expended, always close to the fridge and pantry, a comfy lounger, no expensive outdoor clothes, never too cold or hot, safe as could be!  :cool:

I hear the echo of a loud "Amen" moving through the hall. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users