• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:57 PM

When we were camping in BBRSP the ranger there spoke of people leaving their GD “charmin Lilies” all over the place
When I first saw the “litter box “ in the review I thought it meant that!! That’s bad too !
Now I have Joni Mitchell in my head singing “a big litter box and they put up a parking lot”

Edited by buckland, 22 February 2024 - 06:00 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:35 PM

I have a solution!!! Really. I am not sure when the RV lobbies got involved but our national parks are now national parking lots.
No camper longer than 25 feet. Period. No electricity provided nor generators allowed. That would open up twice as many sites half the size and eliminate 60% of the folks… why are we allowing and providing for those monster rigs? It is not a place for them. I was recently out on Cumberland island off Georgia. Folks got on the ferry with tents only. It was so nice to see.

Many years ago the motor home lobbyist tried to get Glacier NP to do major changes to Going to the Sun road so they could drive their mega home on wheels over that road.

The NP told them to take the bus there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:06 AM

Make everything "virtual" and they all stay home. YouTube and Amazon is getting us there. :)

That creates a conundrum:

The fewer people that want to experience the few acres (not quite) unspoiled nature we have left the less political will to fund and protect it.  At the same time the RV industry and the Hotel/Resort lobby will continue to push for more access and development claiming "this is what the public wants".

Glad I'm old.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 February 2024 - 05:01 AM

The fewer people that want to experience the few acres (not quite) unspoiled nature we have left the less political will to fund and protect it.  At the same time the RV industry and the Hotel/Resort lobby will continue to push for more access and development claiming "this is what the public wants".

Glad I'm old.

I'm glad I'm old too.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 04:33 PM

Glad I'm old.

You hit on an important point. Very few of the public are aware how hard the RV and "Recreation" industries push for more fees, development, and privatization of  our public land treasures.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:03 PM

Just to be fair.... some of those folks must be writing those reviews tongue in cheek.... right? Too much sand? I mean it's called White Sands... or

"They only got two brain cells and both of them are fighting for third place."

Edited by buckland, 23 February 2024 - 10:03 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:24 PM

Just to be fair.... some of those folks must be writing those reviews tongue in cheek.... right? Too much sand? I mean it's called White Sands... or

"They only got two brain cells and both of them are fighting for third place."

Like Yellowstone is yucky it smells like sulfur.Guess what it's an old volcano that's how they smell.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 10:58 PM

Yes, several of the reviews were funny - the intent of the article. This was my favorite - Grand Canyon "It’s to[o] big. … Also my wife decided to divorce me while we were there." This one makes me yearn for a corresponding review from the fellow's (former) wife.

#19 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,080 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 February 2024 - 12:48 PM

She probably said it was beautiful and the happiest day of her life!

Henry David Thoreau

#20 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 24 February 2024 - 06:00 PM

Greetings all

I have read this thread with a mix of interest, optimism and surprise.

Do you all not realize that WTW and nearly all web based outdoor forums are a lobby for tourism ?

Tom, who once owned FWC, can be  seen in a video years ago lauding FWC campers as a means for the vacationer to get farther and farther into the nations great treasures while taking along all the comforts of home.

Search the term WTW in ANY other forum and it is cited as a place to find the real inside scoop on where to go and how to get there.

Turn off the internet until it gains some sense of responsibility for its impact.

David Graves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users