12 replies to this topic

#1 IDPaddler

IDPaddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBoise ID

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:42 PM

I have a 2022 minimally used Hawk. I drove through a fairly heavy rain yesterday. When I popped it up last night there was wetness in the front driver side corner of the bed. The soft wall was also wet. I do have a 4” memory foam mattress on top of the stock cushions, but the top closes very easily. I have not had this happen before but I do otherwise live in a pretty dry environment. Seems not right and pretty sucky for an 24k camper! Any thoughts on the matter?
Thanks in advance.

Follow Rivers Not Rules

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,593 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 February 2024 - 03:08 PM

One place to check is around the windows. Driving in heavy rain can allow water to get through the stitching.  Seam sealing might help if that is the case. 

I am haunted by waters

#3 SigSanDiego

SigSanDiego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 February 2024 - 04:01 PM

Consider a couple of more turns on front turnbuckles to snug down.

Also, I’m developing with Utah Based Overland Gear Guy a waterproof “Bra” for front leading face of camper to deter driven rain and insect splatters.

#4 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 February 2024 - 07:34 PM

Make sure that the Velcro on the windows has a good flat seal when closing the windows. It only take a very small gap to let in a lot of water at highway speed.

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#5 IDPaddler

IDPaddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBoise ID

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the reply folks. I too, was wondering about the windows. When I popped it up I noticed the window on that side may not have been Velcro’d perfect. I’ll also give the turnbuckle an extra turn.
Thanks.

Follow Rivers Not Rules

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:32 PM

I noticed water intrusion while driving in the rain also but it was on my older(05) Hawk. Discovered the weather seal along the front had lost its shape over time. I inserted a length of small diameter of vacuum tubing into the hollow part of the seal to reshape it. No issues since. Like you I live in a humid area and use a fan that runs 24/7 to keep mildew and condensation in check. Condensation at times was so bad as to leave puddling in the front corners as you described. 

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,772 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 February 2024 - 02:59 PM

I had water coming in on my 2015 flatbed hawk, it was coming in around the front amber running light. Sealed it up no more water.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 February 2024 - 06:25 AM

I found our 2008 Hawk had black mold forming on the upper front push board yesterday.  The truck/camper had been parked outside, on a frontward slope over the last two weeks of rainy weather.  I wiped down the fake oak plywood with bleach water and removed the black spores.  Then I put a 120v fan inside the camper overnight and put the camper fan on exhaust. 

I parked the rig in the sun today and put the camper fan on intake.   Tonight I have the forced air furnace set at 50f to keep the interior warm and lower the humidity.

I think it's possible the moisture is the result of condensation, migrating to the low end of the camper.  Any real leak would have produced more liquid waer.  I found only a few drips coming down the interior of the soft liner.  I doubt the leak is external. Two years ago I pulled the Yakima tracks and resealed them with Dicor tape and lap sealant.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 Regular Guy

Regular Guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:32 AM

Small world, I discovered a leak in my front dinette Hawk a couple of days ago.   The first sign of a problem was it was hard to push up the roof, there was water and ice buildup on the outside of the windows, on one side only.  I regret I didn’t take a careful look outside at that time, I was busy checking out the water that was inside.  There was water/ice accumulation inside on top of the dresser lid.  The only part of the inside canvas and thermal liner that was wet was directly above the dresser lid, at the end of the rear window.  There was no water anywhere at the ceiling.  The truck was parked on a slope with the rear downhill.  The damage was limited to the laminate on the lid, separating around 2 edges, and a small patch of the thermal liner lost half it’s thickness because it was frozen to the lid.

I’m assuming somehow water got in from the front or side and flowed down between the folded canvas like a gutter until it found a way out, at the back of the rear window.  The big question in my mind is how did the water get in from around the closed roof.  I never had any problems in the past with water getting in while driving through rain/snow.   I usually park it in the barn for any severe weather or high winds.  The only thing I can remember when it was parked outside, since it was last opened is a wintery mix of a half of an inch with no significant winds.  If there was any driving with that with snow on the roof it was 10 miles or so below 45 mph.  On a different day, actually night, I did drive through heavy fog for about an hour.  The water was only on the passenger side and that is the side that I have an additional, a seventh, turnbuckle.  All turnbuckles were tight.  So I’m confused on how the water got in to begin with.

I learned the importance of making sure the windows are well sealed even when, especially when, the roof is down.  I will be parking it inside more often and/or opening it up more often just to check.  I wonder if anyone uses a water detector/alarm or even better something that monitors humidity (Govee?) to avoid this type of thing or worse.

#10 n7wrh

n7wrh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:17 AM

Consider a couple of more turns on front turnbuckles to snug down.

Also, I’m developing with Utah Based Overland Gear Guy a waterproof “Bra” for front leading face of camper to deter driven rain and insect splatters.

Please keep us posted on the front bra. Interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users