• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Resqman911

Resqman911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:54 PM

I have a 2013 Hawk with the factory solar panel and sunsaver controller and would like to upgrade the controller that gives me a little more info on my battery use and status. Can anyone recommend a plug and play option?

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 5,008 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 April 2024 - 05:26 PM

To clarify, you are talking about the controller, not the monitor?

The SunSaver is likley a PWM unit, correct?  What solar panel?  Factory was likely a 12 volt, 100-160W panel.  Just going to MPPT controller will not necessarily give you more power delivery.  That is a major factor when you upgrade to 200W+ panels.

To get more info, you want less of the RV quality gear and get gear more aimed at the marine market, like the Victron stuff I use.

Now, all that said, if you do not yet have a shunt based controller (Victron Smart Shunt comes to mind) then get that before you upgrade your controller.  It may give you all the info you need.

As for ease of plug and play, it depends on your skills or desire to learn those skills. 

Please ask more questions.

#3 Resqman911

Resqman911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:45 PM

Yes the Sunsaver is a PWM unit and I have a 100w panel. My concern is not needing more solar as my panel and batteries handle my usage fine right now, I would just like to be able to monitor what my panel is generating and what I’m using on the battery side and was hoping there was a pretty easy replacement for the sunsaver that could meet these needs.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 12:42 AM

Yes the Sunsaver is a PWM unit and I have a 100w panel. My concern is not needing more solar as my panel and batteries handle my usage fine right now, I would just like to be able to monitor what my panel is generating and what I’m using on the battery side and was hoping there was a pretty easy replacement for the sunsaver that could meet these needs.

Better off getting the SOC meter then.  It will tell you what's going on with your battery, which is far more important than what the solar panel is doing.  Why?  The solar panel could be operating ideally, but if you are drawing more power than what it is putting out, how would you know?  Voltage?  That's not an accurate measure of AH capacity.  We can walk you through the installation process.

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:41 PM

I second Vic's recommendation.  A shunt based battery monitor is essential.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 Resqman911

Resqman911

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:52 PM

OK awesome!!! Thank you for the advice. Can you recommend an SOC meter? Thanks again for the help

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:23 PM

Victron Smart Shunt. I buy my electronics from PKYS.com. No affiliation, but consistently good service and prices.

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 18 April 2024 - 03:10 AM

+ to PKYS.com. The Victron warranty requires purchase from an authorized dealer, so eBay is dicey. I've also bought from Amazon (2 day prime delivery) but I made sure the seller was authorized. On the other hand, the Victron stuff is very reliable, so used Victron from eBay is still worth considering.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,228 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:10 PM

I also recommend PKYS and Victron.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users