I Hear A Train A Coming!

I watched it many years ago coming up the Feather River canyon.What an awesome machine.
I am of the age to remember steam power where I grew up in Philadelphia.The Pennsylvania RR
had a massive yard a few blocks from our house.
Over the years we would plan camping trips around different steam operating railroads.
The Drango and Silverton RR and the Cumbres and Toltec RR,were one of our favoriots.
There's something about watching one of the huge machines pounding the rails.
Frank

We had the opportunity to see one of the big locomotives, probably Big Boy, in the early 1980s. To say it was impressive is an understatement.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We had the opportunity to see one of the big locomotives, probably Big Boy, in the early 1980s. To say it was impressive is an understatement.
we saw one in the deschutes canyon during that time. was not smart enough to have camera ready

Could also have been its partner engine. SP&S #700 . Was it all black or did it have considerable orange on it?

I have had both parked on the (now removed) tracks in Helvetia, Oregon next to my house back when OPB was trying to transmit some of the early HDTV signals.

Paul

Ski there was a section of that video that had a big influence on my life. My grandfather was a chemical engineer working for the Wabash RR. His job was to reduce foaming in the boiler which was a major cause of corrosion. I have a picture of him riding on the top a locomotive filming the boiler action through a window in the steam dome.

As a result of his work he started his own company which I believe was the Electrical Chemical Corp and developed the foam meter shown in the video. This meter detected foam in the boiler and signaled the engineer when to blow it off. In the late 30's he sold the company and moved from North Park Illinois to San Clemente Ca. As a result I grew up on the beaches of San Clemente instead of the streets of Chicago. Thank you Grandpa!

camelracer said:
Ski there was a section of that video that had a big influence on my life. My grandfather was a chemical engineer working for the Wabash RR. His job was to reduce foaming in the boiler which was a major cause of corrosion. I have a picture of him riding on the top a locomotive filming the boiler action through a window in the steam dome.

As a result of his work he started his own company which I believe was the Electrical Chemical Corp and developed the foam meter shown in the video. This meter detected foam in the boiler and signaled the engineer when to blow it off. In the late 30's he sold the company and moved from North Park Illinois to San Clemente Ca. As a result I grew up on the beaches of San Clemente instead of the streets of Chicago. Thank you Grandpa!
What a great story!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom