12 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

Once again my wife and I will be off work the week between Christmas and New Years. Last year we made the mistake of following Dirty Dog's advice and traveled through Oregon in their record winter storm. So this year we are hoping to get some good advice on where to go.

We have done Death Valley a few times and it tends to get crowded that week, so it is out. We have never been to Joshua Tree and are considering that. Does it also get busy that week? If we do go there, what are the must see/must do places? Any other ideas for a one week trip out of central CA in winter?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#2 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

I'll second the vote for Anza Borrego. I have yet to hear of a certain time of year that Joshua Tree isn't crowded.

We also enjoyed our visit to Agua Caliente Park in Anza Borrego. Nice hot springs & showers for a more formal camping experience.

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#3 Nater'D

Nater'D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

I have been two J Tree for new years. It can be a party scene but there are places you can get away from that, just stay away from the popular climbing places, intersection rock, there is a campground there that is most popular for climbers.
There are three entrances to the park two are off of state route 62, the main entrance or west entrance is the first one if you are coming from the west. Access is about 5 miles from the town of J Tree the second and less crowded is the east entrance. If you’re coming from the west you drive through the town of J Tree and follow the sings to the east entrance. The third entrance that I have never been to is the south entrance looks pretty cool and probably the least crowded as far as climbers go.
J Tree is great camping in the winter, if you are going after Christmas be sure to stop at wall-mart (wally world) and pick up a few Christmas trees for cheap they may even give them to you I forget, but they make a great bon fire for about five minutes.
Enjoy
Nater'D

#4 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

Joshua tree, the land of curbs, no undeveloped camping, lots of people.
i can understand wanting to see it once.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#5 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:38 PM

Its a great album any time of the year.

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

DD, are you saying The Streets Have No Names in Joshua Tree? I know you mentioned doing a winter trip south but won't join us for this one. That's alright, we're going With or Without You. We will hit JTNP for a couple of days but then are heading to Anza Borrego for the majority of the trip. Anywhere we go down there is In God's Country. :rolleyes:

Don't blame me, DD started the puns. I just jumped on the bandwagon.

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

DD, are you saying The Streets Have No Names in Joshua Tree? I know you mentioned doing a winter trip south but won't join us for this one. That's alright, we're going With or Without You. We will hit JTNP for a couple of days but then are heading to Anza Borrego for the majority of the trip. Anywhere we go down there is In God's Country. :rolleyes:

Don't blame me, DD started the puns. I just jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm not going to be taking any trips until DV. I find that I actually have some work to do.

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:38 AM

How about Mpjave Preserve, never camped there but hear it is nice. Seems less developed than Joshua T.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#9 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

No trip report coming. Damn this Magellan curse. Left Thursday after work. Both the wife and I were feeling a cold coming on. We have planned this trip for a while, buying books, maps, and doing research. We hoped the colds would pass. Over night near Fresno on the way south. Woke up Friday still feeling a little stuffy. Got into camp about 3:00. Feeling so-so, we napped, ate dinner, and went to bed. I still felt bad Saturday morning but the wife was much worse. Rearranged the equipment, making her a bed in the backseat of the truck, and made the whole drive home on sudafed and diet coke. Hated to do it, but we're both still sick as dogs, so glad I did while I could. Oh well, maybe next year.

:angry:

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:32 AM

Bummer Ted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users