• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 CLynn85

CLynn85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:03 AM

Hey all, just purchased my first camper, a 2003 Eagle model. I haven't taken delivery of it yet so no pics, but put the deposit on it Saturday. Original owner bought it from FWC while doing field work on the west coast and brought it back to VA with her, garaged ever since. It'll be going into the back of my 2007 Tacoma.

I'm taking a trip leaving mid-may from VA to SoCal to Baja and back. I was planning to either do a camper shell or roof style tent, but I stumbled onto the FWC on craigslist for a killer price and couldn't pass it up. They're really hard to find here on the East Coast. It has a 3-way fridge, furnace, sink, stove, sliding glass window, jacks, yak racks, and maybe one or two other things I'm forgetting. Need to contact FWC about tie-down recommendations. I'm stoked! Can't wait to install it and get to work cleaning it up and taking care of the little details.

Here's the truck it'll be going in:
Posted Image

#2 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

Dude!!! Congrats your one of us now and what a great shake down trip. One suggestion bring along a good cooler in the event the frige fails. Baja will be a real treat for you but be sure to never drive at night.
Jay

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

CLynn85,
Congratulations and welcome the the WtW forum. You might want to check out Alex's thread http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=328 it shows an ATC mounted on a newer Taco with the modified mounting system for the composite bed. And moe info on the Expedition Portal here - http://expeditionpor...t=camper tacoma
Good Luck!
Jim

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

CLynn85 welcome to the board.

Looks like a good set up and sounds like a great trip to break it in. Look through all the old post and that will gain you some infomation and opionions you might need. Congrats on the camper.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hey Carl!

Wow, first the new Taco and now this?! Awesome!!

I'm really stoked for you. This will really make your Baja trip. I'll be looking forward to the pics of course.

And yes, definitely check out Alex/slooow6's threads for mounting solutions in the new Tacoma. Congrats again!!

#6 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:48 AM

Welcome to the forum. These campers and Toyotas are a great combo. Looking forward to hear about your Baja trip.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

If you would like to hear our solution for mounting the camper, your welcome to call anytime and I can go over what we are currently doing for our customers. It is different from FWC's current method.

I talked with a customer the other day that phoned Stan over at FWC to see how their mounting system was working out on the new composite beds and it sounded like they were having no problems with the system so far. The number for FWC is 800-242-1442
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#8 CLynn85

CLynn85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

Thanks ya'll. I've been soaking up as much info on these things as I can in the last couple days. This site, Ben's site, and the FWC site have been great. I've been following alex's thread on ExPo, It seems like a good solution, not sure how I feel about the external tie-down in the front though. I plan on calling FWC as soon as things calm down here a bit and see what they've been doing since they don't list an external tie-down being required for the long-bed models on their site.

I'm getting ansy now to get it. New Truck, New Camper, cross-country trip, and no paycheck from my new job until the end of june..... can you say "in over my head?" :)

As of right now I'm heading out for 5 days for a bit of a different Baja trip, I'm on the Virginia Tech SAE Mini Baja team, heading to Ocala for the weekend for our first competition :D

#9 BaltoCharlie

BaltoCharlie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:01 PM

Congrats Clynn. You beat me to the punch. I'm also new to this board and recently was trying to buy a Toyota 4x4. Saw the add last week for the camper, emailed her saying I would be back in touch when I bought a truck. Well I bought the truck Saturday. Emailed her on monday but alas you scored first. Early bird gets the worm. have fun.
FWIW: I just joined the list as well. I am from Baltimore and just bought a '94 Toyota 4x4 w/ only 80,000 and manual front locking hubs!!! Should be good for another 220,000 miles or so:) The truck was own by a little old man that never took it off road. Now it's owned by a little old man that is going offroad. I have owned a VW syncro vanagon for many years. It's life is nearing the end and must bid her farewell. Nothing out there comes close the syncro w/ the exception of a 4x4 truck and four wheel camper. In fact the truck and camper will be more reliable for sure.
i need a 4x4 for my many outdoor pursuits, climbing kayaking, mnt biking and BC skiing. I will be asking y'all lots of questions over the next few weeks. Talk to you soon, Charlie
PS Clynn have a great trip in your(almost mine) eagle.

#10 CLynn85

CLynn85

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

Well, the Eagle has landed, so to speak. I borrowed dad's F250 and went today to pickup the camper. Don't have the front tie-downs sorted out yet for the taco, so I took the alternate. The lady I bought it from had switched from a Ford Ranger to a ext cab 2500 dodge, so she had extensions made for the jacks and also a platform to raise the camper up, so I figured ya'll might like to see how it fit in pop's dbl cab short bed f250. There was very little clearance under the front - about an inch and a half - very nerve-racking on the ride home, and there was a large gap between the camper and the cab, otherwise it fit fine with the extensions and the platform.

Charlie,
Sorry I snatched it up from you, just decided to buy it on the spot that saturday when I went up to look at it. If you want to take a look at it in the truck as you mentioned in another thread I'd be glad to meet up with you sometime if it's convenient.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03042 (Medium).JPG
  • DSC03043 (Medium).JPG
  • DSC03046 (Medium).JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users