• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:00 AM

Has anyone been to Sequoia National Monument east of Fresno, CA? I am thinking about going there maybe Thanksgiving weekend? If so, can I get some comments?

Regards,

Darryl
ATC Bobcat, 2001 Tacoma 4X4, Supersprings, Bilsteins, Hewig Stabalizer

#2 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

It has been a few years, but we liked the drive through the groves of truly LARGE trees. It was not as crowded as Yosemite. I can't say about camping opportunities as we did a drive through. Well worth a visit IMHO.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#3 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:03 AM

Thank you Argonaut20. I am going to get a more detailed map of the area and see if there are any less populated areas up there to explore.

#4 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,576 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

Did you mean "monument" specifically or the whole national park there? If you mean the park, we when through there in Oct. and hit up the big groves and such. We ended up camping at Lodgepole. There were others there but it wasn't packed or anything. There are some nice short hikes to the various trees and the southern part has some good views. I'm sure the 180 spur is great too but we didn't go out on it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#5 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:04 AM

Has anyone been to Sequoia National Monument east of Fresno, CA? I am thinking about going there maybe Thanksgiving weekend? If so, can I get some comments?

Regards,

Darryl

Sequoia National Park and the Giant Sequoia National Monument are actually two different things. The Park has been there for over a hundred years; the Monument is south of the Park and was just established at the end of the Clinton administration. Both are well worth exploring. There is a $20.00 entrance fee for the Park and no entrance fee for the Monument. There are campgrounds in both. We live a few miles west of the Monument's western boundary in the little town of Springville. By Thanksgiving, I suspect that the campgrounds at higher elevations will be closed due to snow. If you would like more info, I would be happy to supply it.

Best,
Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#6 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:49 AM

Everyone: Thank you for the comments.

Richard: I prefer more remote camping even though I would like to see the park. If you think there would be closures within the next few weeks, I would appreciate any tips on where you suggest we explore. I am open to exploring the whole area. I just picked the monument name from the map.

Thank you all again,

Darryl

#7 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:43 AM

Hi Darryl,

If they haven't closed the road, you should drive the 20 miles (some unpaved) of twisties into Mineral King at the southern end of the park. At Mineral King there is a small, forested campground, an old mining town and many trails into the Sierra. Enjoy the bears!

Call the park first to make sure the road isn't gated for winter at the 15 miles mark.

Stew

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#8 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:27 AM

Thanks, Stew. I will give the park a call tomorrow. Great idea.

Darryl

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

Everyone: Thank you for the comments.

Richard: I prefer more remote camping even though I would like to see the park. If you think there would be closures within the next few weeks, I would appreciate any tips on where you suggest we explore. I am open to exploring the whole area. I just picked the monument name from the map.

Thank you all again,

Darryl

Darryl,

We too prefer the more remote camp spots. There is a complex of campgrounds a bit south of Three Rivers and northeast of Springville that most people simply refer to as Balch Park. There is a loop road that includes campgrounds at Balch Park (in my opinion the least desirable), Frazier Mill, Moses Gulch, Hidden Falls and a few others. This is a great area and this time of the year, almost no one will be camping there. The roads are still open and we will take a ride up there this afternoon to confirm that fact (we were looking for an excuse to get up into the mountains anyway). I will provide a quick report tomorrow morning.

Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 Darryla

Darryla

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thank you Richard. I really appreciate it. I am getting some more detailed maps on Monday,

Darryl

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users