• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hi Guys,

As some of you know I am planning a road trip for Christmas. Looks like we are going to hit Pismo and Joshua Tree on the way out to Glendale to see Grandma for Christmas and then on the way back hit the Grand Canyon and Death Valley then out to Mammoth for some snowboarding then home. I have never been to Death Valley before and did some searches on here but couldn't really find a lot of info. I know several of you have spent considerable time out there. We are only going to have 1-3 days tops to spend there so I am looking for the must sees that are on easy to moderate road. My wife isn't up for any serious four wheeling and neither is our truck.

I'm really interested in the race track but some info I've read said it's 20+ miles of washboard and I'm not sure if it's visible in the winter or if it's flooded.

Titus Canyon also looks like a nice moderate drive, not sure about the drive through the Devil's golf course, it looks like a long one. Also any favorite campsites would be great, doesn't have to be boondocking can be anything.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Rich,
You obviously have many options. I would guess you would want to go to Badwater and the Artists Pallete. Probably easy on your itinerary if you're heading west from the Grand Canyon. Zabriske Point is also something to see and as you mention Titus Canyon is a must and not a hard drive...just check to see that it is open.

Ubehebe Crater and the racetrack should be doable, it's up to you as far as the washboards go, just air down and you should be fine. If you're not into wheeling then it's probably best to figure driving back out the way you came in, or go out via Hunter Mountain which may or may not be open at that time. I hear there is snow there already. Darwin Falls would also be an easy stop on the way out of the park.

Lots of places to see without getting too hardcore, these sites might help you out planning your visit:

http://www.backroads...om/deathvalley/

http://www.maturango.org/DeathV.html

http://www.nps.gov/d...try Roads-2.pdf

http://www.dvnha.org...ort/Morning.pdf

Non boondock camping generally sucks in DV but here is a list of campgrounds and general info:

http://www.death.val...com/camping.htm

Good luck and have fun. I may be out that way myself after X-Mas.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

I live close to Pismo, and would be happy to stop by for an hour or so visit in the afternoon. I can bring maps and pictures of Titus canyon.

It's been several years since I was last out to the Devil's Race Track. The worst I saw it, just about any car could make it provided it went slow enough - even my Miata could have made it provided I drove very slow.

That part of the desert doesn't get much rain (I guess that's why they call it a desert), but when it does, the roads can turn to muck pretty quickly (I wouldn't take the Miata down that road if there was as chance of drizzle). However, I have been fortunate in that I was I was there during a major rain storm and I never felt the need to use 4x4. If you are fortunate enough to see the Devil's Race Track while it is flooded, please remember to not walk on the playa.

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

Last year I was there the 1st week of February and they got most of their annual rainfall, just over an inch. It closed all the non paved roads and flooded the Furnace Creek Campground but it was neat to see. I believe the road to the Kilns is pretty simple, bring a variety of layers.
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:14 AM

I have been traveling every square inch of Death Valley for a good 45 years. All the above suggestions are wonderful but I'd strongly suggest Saline Valley Hot Springs as your #1 choice. Be sure to stay at least 2 or 3 nights so that the place sinks in and you "get it". 50 miles of dirt road is incredibly scenic. Just take it slow. I have been going to the Springs for 25 years. You'll see Prius' and Fiestas there. But, and this counts for all of Death Valley: You must have tire chains! 4WD means nothing against ice and mud. DV has many very high passes. Even if you stay on pavement bring chains. And please, if you are 4x4 put them on the front tires so you stay on the road. I do about 5 to 7 trips into DV every year and I use chains on my Dodge Cummins 4x4 at least 3 of the times. In fact, last weekend I was there and chains were required to get out of Saline Valley. I rescued some Chinese tourists in a rental car who had been stuck in 14 degree temps, at 7,000 ft elevation, over night. If they had chains they would have been soaking in the warm pools with the rest of us.

BTW: The "developed" campgrounds are like staying in a parking lot. DV is a wonderful place for the feeling of "adventure". Backcountry camping is allowed under a few conditions.

Pictures below are: Grassy area at Saline Hot Springs, Inyo Mountains from Saline Valley, The Race Track under water (a very rare occasion), one of many passes that go under snow in winter, my son at 4 years old at Saline Hot Springs.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0160.jpg
  • IMG_8191.jpg
  • Photo 9 of 112.jpg
  • IMGP0637.jpg
  • Photo 96 of 124.jpg

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:51 AM

Fantastic picture of the racetrack :)
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Wow - thanks for the great info everyone, now I am more excited about Death Valley than before! Seems like there is way too much to explore for one trip, we may need to spend some extra days out there.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#8 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

Rich,
You obviously have many options. I would guess you would want to go to Badwater and the Artists Pallete. Probably easy on your itinerary if you're heading west from the Grand Canyon. Zabriske Point is also something to see and as you mention Titus Canyon is a must and not a hard drive...just check to see that it is open.

Ubehebe Crater and the racetrack should be doable, it's up to you as far as the washboards go, just air down and you should be fine. If you're not into wheeling then it's probably best to figure driving back out the way you came in, or go out via Hunter Mountain which may or may not be open at that time. I hear there is snow there already. Darwin Falls would also be an easy stop on the way out of the park.

Lots of places to see without getting too hardcore, these sites might help you out planning your visit:

http://www.backroads...om/deathvalley/

http://www.maturango.org/DeathV.html

http://www.nps.gov/d...try Roads-2.pdf

http://www.dvnha.org...ort/Morning.pdf

Non boondock camping generally sucks in DV but here is a list of campgrounds and general info:

http://www.death.val...com/camping.htm

Good luck and have fun. I may be out that way myself after X-Mas.

Thanks Sunman those are great links!

#9 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

I live close to Pismo, and would be happy to stop by for an hour or so visit in the afternoon. I can bring maps and pictures of Titus canyon.

It's been several years since I was last out to the Devil's Race Track. The worst I saw it, just about any car could make it provided it went slow enough - even my Miata could have made it provided I drove very slow.

That part of the desert doesn't get much rain (I guess that's why they call it a desert), but when it does, the roads can turn to muck pretty quickly (I wouldn't take the Miata down that road if there was as chance of drizzle). However, I have been fortunate in that I was I was there during a major rain storm and I never felt the need to use 4x4. If you are fortunate enough to see the Devil's Race Track while it is flooded, please remember to not walk on the playa.

Thanks Ed, that would be great as we nail down the exact date for Pismo I'll PM you, I really appreciate the offer.

#10 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

I have been traveling every square inch of Death Valley for a good 45 years. All the above suggestions are wonderful but I'd strongly suggest Saline Valley Hot Springs as your #1 choice. Be sure to stay at least 2 or 3 nights so that the place sinks in and you "get it". 50 miles of dirt road is incredibly scenic. Just take it slow. I have been going to the Springs for 25 years. You'll see Prius' and Fiestas there. But, and this counts for all of Death Valley: You must have tire chains! 4WD means nothing against ice and mud. DV has many very high passes. Even if you stay on pavement bring chains. And please, if you are 4x4 put them on the front tires so you stay on the road. I do about 5 to 7 trips into DV every year and I use chains on my Dodge Cummins 4x4 at least 3 of the times. In fact, last weekend I was there and chains were required to get out of Saline Valley. I rescued some Chinese tourists in a rental car who had been stuck in 14 degree temps, at 7,000 ft elevation, over night. If they had chains they would have been soaking in the warm pools with the rest of us.

BTW: The "developed" campgrounds are like staying in a parking lot. DV is a wonderful place for the feeling of "adventure". Backcountry camping is allowed under a few conditions.

Pictures below are: Grassy area at Saline Hot Springs, Inyo Mountains from Saline Valley, The Race Track under water (a very rare occasion), one of many passes that go under snow in winter, my son at 4 years old at Saline Hot Springs.

Great pics and info Gene! I have heard about Saline Valley but my impression has always been that the road is a nasty 4x4 road and my little T-100 is underpowered with the camper on. Is the road really easy enough for a prius to get in? Also about the tire chains. I don't have a set because my truck is four wheel drive and I have always lived (and stayed living) by the idea that if I need chains on my 4x4 I don't want to be out driving in that weather. I'll be there around new years so I am expecting snow. Do you think Saline Valley will be accessible around new years?

Also the low temps I saw online for the evenings in DV were low 40's high 30's, how common are temperatures in the teens?

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users