12 replies to this topic

#1 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hello everyone,

Buddie and I are headed from So Cal up to Whitefish, Mt and back with a possible side trip up to Fernie or Revelstoke. We will be gone for a better part of a month skiing/boarding along the way. First stop will be Mammoth to Tahoe over to Salt Lake then up to Jackson Hole area. A few days in Yellowstone snowmobiling then up to Montana.

The plan is to boondock when not at friends house and if it gets really bad (smell wise) in the camper a motel/hotel room for the night to clean up a bit.

A year in the planning is soon coming to fruition. Stoked to get off work and see some beautiful country.

If anyone has some winter friendly campspots that are easy to get too along my route we would be happy to hear about them.

Pics of course will follow.

Joel
2007 Chevy K2500HD, Cognito Tie Rod Kit/Pitman Idler Arm Brace, 05 FWC Hawk.

#2 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:19 AM

Joel- Most of the NFS campgrounds up here in Montana will be closed. I was in Glacier a few days ago and you can camp at the picnic area by Lake McDonald. Very pretty spots, no water, pit toilets. I like Fernie for skiing, fairly laid back place.

All of our normal weather has gone south this year. We've had some snow, usually followed by rain which makes for a nice layer of ice on roads w/no sun. Big Mountain (I refuse to use their new name) in Whitefish may be ok on top/backside though likely rather icy lower down, Fernie probably similar. Enjoy!
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

#3 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info. We have had the brunt of the storms this year and the southern resorts have definately gotten some great snow. But looks like high pressure is setting up and putting the jet stream back on track up north. Hopefully we'll get some powder days up north as we head up.

I ll check out Lake Mc Donald. thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to Fernie as I have also heard it is a nice place to ski/board.

Joel

#4 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

There are several smaller ski areas in MT that open midweek that have potential for fresh snow (maybe not this year) and no crowds. Being small doesn't imply limited terrain by any means. I would imagine they allow camping in the parking lots, if not they are all in National Forests.

Lost Trail
Maverick
Lookout
Turner
Great Divide
Showdown

Open 7 days, Discovery

Also make sure you check out Castle if you are going to Fernie, you will like it. Red and Whitewater as well.

#5 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Also, Jackson starts to get baked from the sun in February, so don't forget Targhee. I think you can camp in their lot.

If you have a beacon Bridger is worth the trip, although it gets hammered by the hounds pretty fast nowadays. They got two feet yesterday.

#6 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. Having a great time in Tahoe and headed to salt lake this weekend. Looking forward to head up north to see some country I have never seen before.

Check out some photos

Attached Thumbnails

• GetAttachment.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • GetAttachment1.jpg

#7 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

Looks like a proper vacation so far. Posted Image

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Hey keep us posted on your adventure. Looks like you are off to a great start! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Lookin pretty epic. Keep the pics coming.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 jc1097

jc1097

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:51 AM

Made it Jackson Hole!! First time up this way and it is amazing! The views and wildlife are incredible. Elk hanging out in the preserve, two bald eagles as we made our way up the snake river and big ol waterfoul, Trumpite swans i think? Any way, found a cheap rv park in Moose just a few miles from the teton village for 10 bucks a night! Hookups included with clean bathrooms. Not bad as i prefer my ceramic heater rather than my little buddy propane heater. Keeps it dry at night.

Plan on going on the hill in the morning to get some groomers. Off Piste is not the best here as little snow has fallen lately. Go figure my home mountain, Mammoth is getting dumped while Im gone... Oh well, its all about the journey on this one!

Attached Thumbnails

• GetAttachmentt.jpg
  • GetAttachment.jpg
  • GetAttachment1.jpg
  • GetAttachment2.jpg
  • GetAttachment3.jpg
  • GetAttachment4.jpg
  • GetAttachment23.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users