13 replies to this topic

#1 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:12 PM

just a reminder:

here in Sacramento we have had a good break in the rain. I went out and opened up the Hawk and found a little mold. The unit is all popped up now, the fans are going, and I hit the little mold patches with Lysol.

Spring is coming so now is the time....be on the lookout!

fyi it was on the forward lift, nearest the roof on the drivers side. i assume a little moisture collected between the liner and the lift board. this is just below the upper hinge.

air them out well folks!

sigining off, old moldy.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#2 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check mine today.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

just a reminder:

here in Sacramento we have had a good break in the rain. I went out and opened up the Hawk and found a little mold. The unit is all popped up now, the fans are going, and I hit the little mold patches with Lysol.

fyi it was on the forward lift, nearest the roof on the drivers side. i assume a little moisture collected between the liner and the lift board. this is just below the upper hinge.

air them out well folks!

sigining off, old moldy.

Did the same thing in Stockton today. I drive the Tundra w/Hawk when it rains. Ride my ST1300 on non rainy days. Found everything dry and no mold. Almost time to go camping.

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

just a reminder:

air them out well folks!

sigining off, old moldy.

Yep, got the same the thing going on in mine, cleaned it up last week. Good call on the Lysol, i'll have to go hit it with that later.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,372 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:24 AM

Yup, thanks for the heads up! Planning on loading it on the truck and getting ready for spring break travels this week.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:50 AM

We get out about once or twice a month, year round. Because of cooking inside and running the heater, it is the norm for us to have condensation on the walls during winter trips. We dry them as well as we can and open up the camper when we get home, but this is usually what we find on the next trip. Herr is right, pop it and clean it while the weather is good.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

I also keep a tub of desiccant in my rig when its parked to help adsorb interior moisture.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#8 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

I also keep a tub of desiccant in my rig when its parked to help adsorb interior moisture.

pods8,

Where do you purchase the desiccant? How much does it cost?

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

pods8,

Where do you purchase the desiccant? How much does it cost?

Homedepot and other stores like that, in the painting section. Common name brand is damprid http://www.damprid.com/. Just buy the bulk bag refill they carry under $10. Just pour some in small tub (pint-quart sized is fine) on the camper floor. When it all turns to liquid pour it out and add some more flakes from the refill bag.

Just remember to take if out of the camper before you drive off so it doesn't tip over/spill or do something besides setting a tub on the floor if you want to be able to drive around with it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Good tip PODS, I am heading out to teach whitewater guide school on the 20th and will spend 11 wet and rainy days in the Fleet, I think I'm going to set out a tub of that in the camper for the week. Is it safe to have out while you are in the camper?
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users