• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:48 AM

I'm planning on going about as far East as you can this coming September. From New Mexico through the states to Nova Scotia and then a ferry to Newfoundland, possibly another short ferry to Labrador which then means taking the Trans- Labrador Highway back to Quebec and a return West. Looks like it'll be somewhere over 8000 miles, last year Alaska was 11,000 so no big deal :D I'll probably take a month, have about 2 days of business in NF which means someone else will pay normal travel expenses :lol:

So any suggestions? Seems like the Trans Lab highway (500+ miles of dirt) while somewhat exotic might be less scenic than exploring Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I have to go near the Chicago area on the way out and on the way back was thinking of staying North of Lake Superior to Duluth, MN. Any FWC's been to Labrador?
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:04 AM

I'm planning on going about as far East as you can this coming September. From New Mexico through the states to Nova Scotia and then a ferry to Newfoundland, possibly another short ferry to Labrador which then means taking the Trans- Labrador Highway back to Quebec and a return West. Looks like it'll be somewhere over 8000 miles, last year Alaska was 11,000 so no big deal :D I'll probably take a month, have about 2 days of business in NF which means someone else will pay normal travel expenses :lol:

So any suggestions? Seems like the Trans Lab highway (500+ miles of dirt) while somewhat exotic might be less scenic than exploring Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I have to go near the Chicago area on the way out and on the way back was thinking of staying North of Lake Superior to Duluth, MN. Any FWC's been to Labrador?

Barko,
We went to Newfoundland and Laborador in 2003 with a Hallmark pop-up camper. Due to time constraints, we went no farther north than Red Bay in Lab. and returned via the same ferries that we came on. Absolutely loved the area and plan to return in a few years to spend more time. Lots to see in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, but we preferred the overall "flavor" of Newf. & Lab. From Calif. we ended up at just over 12,500 miles total (did some misc. wandering around in Canada and the US) If I can help in your trip planning, I'd be glad to.

Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

Lots to see in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, but we preferred the overall "flavor" of Newf. & Lab. From Calif. we ended up at just over 12,500 miles total (did some misc. wandering around in Canada and the US) If I can help in your trip planning, I'd be glad to.

Richard

Thanks, maybe I should consider taking the ferry to Lab but returning that way as well. Being that it will be September the tourists should be fewer. I like the saying "If it is tourist season why can't we shoot them!" Send me the places that in your opinion are the "must see".

#4 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

I look forward to your trip report. Our niece is moving to Presque Isle, Maine and we'll likely do a similar roadtrip. Long ago (in high school) some buddies and I drove from Indianapolis to Baxter State Park, Maine... and then back across Quebec and Ontario to Michigan. My wife has never been to Maine, and neither of us have seen the maritime provinces. I understand they have trout and salmon there! B)
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#5 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

Thanks, maybe I should consider taking the ferry to Lab but returning that way as well. Being that it will be September the tourists should be fewer. I like the saying "If it is tourist season why can't we shoot them!" Send me the places that in your opinion are the "must see".

Barko,
Sorry this response has taken so long . . . . hectic times. I do not feel qualified to provide a list of "must sees" because we missed much of the province. Our goal was to visit the archaeological site of L'Anse aux Meadows at the far northern tip of the island near St. Anthony. It is were the Vikings had a settlement about 1,000 years ago. As a result, we missed St. Johns and all of the spots along the northeastern coastline. Some of the things we did see and would recommend are as follows:
1. Spent the night at "Blow Me Down" Provincial Park right on the beach - beautiful spot and only one or two other campers were there. It is near Lark Harbor, northwest of Corner Brook.
2. Gros Marne National Park was quite impressive
3. We enjoyed many of the small fishing towns along the west coast, each one more picturesque than the last one
4. We only spent one night in Labrador and only went as far as Red Bay - wanted to go to Battle Harbor, but we were running a bit low on $ and were a loooooong way from home

Stopped at a place on the way back called Meat Cove on Cape Breton, Nova Scotia - fabulous camp spot on a cliff above the ocean
I will keep rambling on if I don't stop myself . . . . great trip, you'll love it!
By the way, you mentioned your Alaska trip last year; we are going there this summer, what was on your don't miss list?
Best,
Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#6 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:42 AM

Barko,

I will keep rambling on if I don't stop myself . . . . great trip, you'll love it!
By the way, you mentioned your Alaska trip last year; we are going there this summer, what was on your don't miss list?
Best,
Richard

This seems like a good NF site for anyone headed that way http://www.ridethero...isplay.php?f=39 A motorcycle group but it works and I am considering hauling a bike.
I will mark some of those sites. Found a place that runs Zodiacs out to hang with whales, that could be cool. But I also discovered that the provincial parks in NF close 9/20 and my business there is 9/17 so I may do my exploring of NF before then and then head to Nova Scotia and the Bay of Fundy. Cape Breton and Gros Marne are definites.

As for Alaska, I went in May which I was able to do (retired!) and was glad to be there before the crowd. One thing I hadn't planned but really liked was the Haul Road over Atigan Pass towards Prudhoe. Did it on the spur of the moment, didn't go all the way to Prudhoe but went over the Northern most mountain range on the continent and camped North of the Arctic circle, loved it. Valdez was neat because there were Eagles like we have sparrows. Did a nice boat ride out of Seward. Stayed a couple nights there at a city park right on the bay, they also have a nice marine museum, Valdez had a nice museum as well.

Took the Ice Fields Parkway, Banff to Jaspar, superb. Cassiar Highway remote but stayed at a nice campground at Boya Lake, was iced over on the way up, a spectacular turquoise blue on the way back. Missed a chance to take a scenic flight out of Haines Junction to fly over Wrangell/St Elias, weather trouble but that would have been cool (the flights by Denali are outrageously expensive and I think you would have more to see at Wrangel. I think it was near Destruction Bay where we had a nice campsite on the lake but chilly as it was also still covered in ice. I can remember the campground near Tok where again we were right on the lake and lots of swans and a hungry bear. I don't think you can go wrong in Alaska. Next time I think I'll go right after summer tourist season and head to Inuvik in the NWT.

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

Took the Ice Fields Parkway, Banff to Jaspar, superb. Cassiar Highway remote but stayed at a nice campground at Boya Lake, was iced over on the way up, a spectacular turquoise blue on the way back. Missed a chance to take a scenic flight out of Haines Junction to fly over Wrangell/St Elias, weather trouble but that would have been cool (the flights by Denali are outrageously expensive and I think you would have more to see at Wrangel. I think it was near Destruction Bay where we had a nice campsite on the lake but chilly as it was also still covered in ice. I can remember the campground near Tok where again we were right on the lake and lots of swans and a hungry bear. I don't think you can go wrong in Alaska. Next time I think I'll go right after summer tourist season and head to Inuvik in the NWT.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. We can only go during the summer (not yet retired), Debated between the Haul Road to Prudhoe and the Dempster Hwy. to Inuvik . . . . decided that we will take the Dempster. Several friends have also recommended Valdez, and from what I've read (and your comments), Wrangell is also on the itinerary.

My wife reminded me to tell you that when you are in NF, be sure to get "screeched," it is a local tradition that we unfortunately missed out on. Again, thanks for your helpful tips on Alaska.

Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

My wife reminded me to tell you that when you are in NF, be sure to get "screeched," it is a local tradition that we unfortunately missed out on. Again, thanks for your helpful tips on Alaska.

Is screeched legal :o

We ended up on the Haul Road because the Yukon was flooded on you couldn't get North! Enjoy the trip. Here's the Brooks Range
Posted Image

#9 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Is [screech] legal[?] :o

Barely

#10 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:46 PM

Barely

Screeching someone visiting Newfoundland for the first time is a longtime custom of many older bars in Newfoundland, in which the person is to drink a shot of screech, kiss a codfish on the mouth, and answer the question "Is ye an honourary Newfoundlander?" with the phrase "'deed I is me ol' cock, and long may your big jib draw." After completing these tasks, they receive an official 'Screecher' certificate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users