• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jayjabra

Jayjabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

I am loosing sleep trying to decide to buy a Eagle PopUp or an Eagle Hard Top? does someone have experience with the new Hard Top in high cross winds and/or with large fast passing trucks.
My preference is the Eagle Hard Top I need to be sure of my decision. At the moment I am not planning to be doing extreme off roading just a few minor side trips (however this may change with time as my enthusiasm grows. "I am an adventure by nature").
I am assuming that the new models will be as water resistant as the past models have been.Information in this area would also be welcome.
I have a 2010 Ford Ranger Supercab 4X4.I think it rides just a little higher than most and has a fairly narrow wheel base, this is why I am concerned.

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I saw the hardtop when at the factory recently and was very attracted to it. Not that much heavier or taller but convenient and with the nice full sized door. If I had excess cash lying around I'd go for it but then a Ranger isn't a real hefty unit so I understand the concern. I'd get a shell!
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 Jayjabra

Jayjabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

Thanks BarkO1.
I have an order in for an Eagle PopUp however I do have a little time to change the order.
I only have 2 concerns left before I do that.
1) The handling " I really do not want to be doing White Nuckle Driving at my advanced age". In the pictures of the Eagle Fleet HT that I have seen the camper looks very big in comparison to the truck, I might say even a little top heavy looking?.
2)I am also worried about water leaks as there are so many windows (6)on a flexable frame, the past great reputation of FWC is what has driven my decision to place the order for a new FWC Eagle, so far so I really do not expect any water leakage problems. "I do need to be sure that I am not increasing the risk in this area".

As for my Ford Ranger it is plenty tough enough it has the 4 liter engine and towing package installed the Maximum GCWR is 9500 LB. The Maximum Payload posted on the door Tire Sticker is 1,150 lb this is because I was sold the vehecle with passenger (P) tires installed these will be replaced with Light Truck (LT) Tires, this I am assured by the dealership will give me a maximum payload of 1,700+ lb?
I will be installing Firestone Air Spring Helper Springs. And any thing else that anyone recommends such as Anti Sway Bars.
If all this looks like it might work OK and I have extra capasity I might even go for the Eagle Fleet HT Shell with Heater and Couch/bed option instead of the Eagle PopUp with Heater and Couch/bed option I have on order.

jayabra

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Just our two or three cents. We have just about the same truck as you with an older Ranger II camper. We have used it quite a bit since our first trip last Thanksgiving, many trips to rather rugged locations. These trips have included much high speed two lane roads where that fast semi coming at you is a concern. The Lady hates the wind push at times like this. Our unit is very stable at these times so she is happy to drive. I would not get a hard top and add a light weight sail in the air.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Jayjabra

Jayjabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Just our two or three cents. We have just about the same truck as you with an older Ranger II camper. We have used it quite a bit since our first trip last Thanksgiving, many trips to rather rugged locations. These trips have included much high speed two lane roads where that fast semi coming at you is a concern. The Lady hates the wind push at times like this. Our unit is very stable at these times so she is happy to drive. I would not get a hard top and add a light weight sail in the air.

Thanks ski3pin.
I also get the idea that if I get the HardTop version of the Eagle on my Ford Ranger, that I might be sailing (side ways) across America instead of having a relaxed drive in a straight line.
This is not a comment about the Eagle HD it is more about the combination of Eagle and Ranger 4X4 Supercab model.
Question do you or anyone else think the extra weight of the Eagle Fleet will help or just add to the concerns.
Thanks jayjabra

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

We have been very happy with our combo but are very conscious of weight in our packing and trip planning. I would not go with a unit that weighs more.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Jayjabra

Jayjabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

We have been very happy with our combo but are very conscious of weight in our packing and trip planning. I would not go with a unit that weighs more.

Thanks for all your help I have decided to go with a Eagle PopUp camper Shell model with a heater and Couch. This is my final decision now I can get some sleep.

#8 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for all your help I have decided to go with a Eagle PopUp camper Shell model with a heater and Couch. This is my final decision now I can get some sleep.

Some complain if you get the heater you won't get any sleep, squeak, squeak. I just yanked my heater and am replacing it with a WAVE 3, no battery draw and no moving parts. And just to be contrary I ripped out my couch and put in a dinette, on a Grandby so more room to do so. What your final configuration I'm sure it'll be lots of fun B)
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#9 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

Some complain if you get the heater you won't get any sleep, squeak, squeak. I just yanked my heater and am replacing it with a WAVE 3, no battery draw and no moving parts. And just to be contrary I ripped out my couch and put in a dinette, on a Grandby so more room to do so. What your final configuration I'm sure it'll be lots of fun Posted Image

no fan to circulate the heat.......and those top out at 3000 btu ?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#10 Jayjabra

Jayjabra

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

Some complain if you get the heater you won't get any sleep, squeak, squeak. I just yanked my heater and am replacing it with a WAVE 3, no battery draw and no moving parts. And just to be contrary I ripped out my couch and put in a dinette, on a Grandby so more room to do so. What your final configuration I'm sure it'll be lots of fun B)

Thanks Barko1.
I have changed my order after some research have decided to install a Propex heater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users