• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

I am going to buy some collapsable or sissors stairs for the camper. Too many times have Valerie or I had something in our hands and had it rough climbing out of the camper, especially with her short little legs.
So the question is this, what kind? Has anybody had any good luck with a certain brand or type? Three stairs or four? (I guess that is my own decision though). I though the dog might like it a bit better than me always picking her up to get in or out too.
thanks

Scott, Valerie and Dukino 
2002 Tacoma Ext Cab TRD 4 X 4
2020 FourWheel Fleet, loaded

#2 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I am going to buy some collapsable or sissors stairs for the camper. Too many times have Valerie or I had something in our hands and had it rough climbing out of the camper, especially with her short little legs.
So the question is this, what kind? Has anybody had any good luck with a certain brand or type? Three stairs or four? (I guess that is my own decision though). I though the dog might like it a bit better than me always picking her up to get in or out too.
thanks

If you have a receiver this is an option, an extender with a step. Since this picture I bolted on a much bigger "step" and covered it with a rubber grippy surface. The truck is lifted so that 1st step is a bit high but it is nice having a bigger platform and the dogs love it.
Before
Posted Image
After
Posted Image
Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:01 AM

thanks

Hi Saints,

I have the TorkLift aluminum steps. They are built well. Here is the link to determine how many steps you need.

http://www.torklift....w_page=glowstep

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

TorkLift deffinately look like the ones I want. I have seen them before on this web site and now I just have to find a dealer to get them from. I will need 4 steps and the cool thing is, when I upgrade and buy a different truck I will be able to add a step if needed.

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Can someone put up a picture of where the step store when up on a Hawk? I like the concept but they may cover my plate when up. How do they work if the ground is not level?

Thanks, Bill

#6 The Saints

The Saints

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz, CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Bill,
As far as I know, you just take them off and store them inside the camper by the door. They weigh very little and seem easy to move around. On level ground, I have no clue. They are probably fine just a little off, not bad enough to worry about I imagine.

#7 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Bill,
As far as I know, you just take them off and store them inside the camper by the door. They weigh very little and seem easy to move around. On level ground, I have no clue. They are probably fine just a little off, not bad enough to worry about I imagine.

Yes, I store mine just inside the door on the floor mat. They are the first thing I remove setting up camp, and among the last I stow when breaking camp.

On mildly uneven ground, they work fine, although you may feel a slight shift when you put your weight on the bottom step. But, they won't collapse or anything. Once, I was forced to put a small log under one side when I had reached the full extension of the steps on a slope after having leveled the truck on some rocks. In a case like that, any ground supported steps would have had problems, and only the hitch receiver steps would avoid them.

-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#8 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

We use a small two step stool to enter and exit our camper. Sometimes it is a long first step after leveling the camper, so the scissor steps have interested me as well. Problem is I also use the step stool to go around the camper and tuck in the canvas, raise and lower the window shades, etc. For those of you with the scissor stepps, do you also carry something seperate for these other tasks?

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

Problem is I also use the step stool to go around the camper and tuck in the canvas, raise and lower the window shades, etc. For those of you with the scissor stepps, do you also carry something seperate for these other tasks?

I collapse the steps and turn them sideways, with the steps vertical, and the wide side on the ground to use them as a single short step. The steps do not unfold, thanks to friction and a latch. This is enough for me to reach the corners to tuck them in, and I am short (but so is my truck/camper Posted Image). I have the inside shades, and don't have to worry about rolling them down, so I don't know if my method would work for you.

-------------

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

Yes, I store mine just inside the door on the floor mat. They are the first thing I remove setting up camp, and among the last I stow when breaking camp.

On mildly uneven ground, they work fine, although you may feel a slight shift when you put your weight on the bottom step. But, they won't collapse or anything. Once, I was forced to put a small log under one side when I had reached the full extension of the steps on a slope after having leveled the truck on some rocks. In a case like that, any ground supported steps would have had problems, and only the hitch receiver steps would avoid them.

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the next set off scissors I see. I just built receiver steps (pics on another thread did not want to hijack) but will still have to carry my small step ladder as I am just a little short to do the tuck and latch.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users