#1 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hey All,
I looked through a number of topics talking about these dammed rusty brackets... the must be the sacrificial anode of the entire camper. I think my camper looks decent, but I always notice those brackets!!!

So i figured I would take them off and hit them with a wire wheel and then prime/paint. That alone seems like its going to take days of work to get them cleaned up. In addition, I broke off 5 of the lag screw heads. :angry:

Fisherman, I saw in one of your posts that you had broken off a few. How did you fix them? A small easy-out or the like?

What do most people do? Should I take them to a powerder coating shop and Will they have the means to clean them first (acid bath?) before powder coating?

Rob

ps: this bracket was probably one of the better looking ones...

Attached Thumbnails

• Rust2.JPG
  • Rust1.JPG

Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:56 AM

Living on the beach that has been a constant problem for me and they really become an eyesore. I took mine off before they got too bad and had them soda blasted and coated with a dense marine anti-rust paint, it's been about a year and they look great, a little rust seeps out from inside the folds where they weren't able to paint but they still look pretty dang perfect. I thought of getting them galvanized but i would have had to drive a good distance and it wasn't cheap. Good luck whatever you do.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

I hate the way by rusty brackets look to. :( I don't know any welders but I would be willing to pay for a shiny new set made out of stainless steel.
1999 Grandby FWC

#4 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

I repainted mine and it only lasted a year. Im thinking replacing brackets with aluminum ones. But I do not know if they will be strong enough. anyone use aluminum for the brackets.
05 Ford F250 LB V10 04 FWC Grandby

#5 RobNE

RobNE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Aluminum... thats a good idea. I can't believe it wouldn't be strong enough. I don't use them anyways, I have the scary cable jacks :o, but am considering keeping the brackets on.

Rob
Rob: 2008 Tacoma Dbl Cab LB - 2002 Eagle - Ride-Rite Airbags

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

We have looked for many years for better painted jacks & jack brackets.

The camper jack manufacturer just doesn't get the big picture after all these years.

We have pushed & shoved, but had little positive results to get jack brackets that won't rust so quickly when around a wet or salty (beach) climate.

The jack manfacturer did switch to a "2 piece" jack bracket a couple of years ago.

They did this in hopes to be able to get a better powder coating on the jack brackets.

I didn't see any big improvement between one or the other.

Gary Morrissey (Our Canadian Dealer) was a professional boat builder in Canada for around 30 years. He had the same complaint of rusty jack brackets on campers he had there (rain forest / ocean climate).

He had someone make him a set of stainless steel jack brackets for his personal camper. They looked great, but were darn expensive.

We have since been ordering in custom aluminum jack brackets to install on all of his new camper orders.

The cost for 4 of the aluminum jack brackets is $ 200.00.

We can sell the custom aluminum jack brackets to anyone that might want them.

BUT, it is important to note that new new jack brackets were are using these days are DIFFERENT that the older jack brackets.

The new jack brackets are 2 pieces.

The new jack brackets are also a different size and have a different hole pattern, so it won't be just a "plug & plug" installation if you are putting newer jack brackets on an older FWC.

The old jack brackets had approx. 6 bolts on each side of the jack brackets.

The new jack brackets (as of a few years ago) have only 4 bolt holes on each bracket.

I think the older jack brackets were approx. 1' inch longer than the new jack brackets these days.

Hope this helps.

Just a little food for thought.

Attached Thumbnails

• NEW Jack Bracket.jpg
  • NEW Jack Bracket 2.JPG
  • NEW Jack Bracket 3.JPG
  • OLD Jack Bracket.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

A few years ago a customer in the marine hardware industry pointed us in the right direction for a much better bolt to use attaching the jack brackets to the camper.

When we order in a set of camper jacks and jack brackets for a new camper these days, we throw the bolts away (recycle them) that come with the jacks from the manufacturer.

We use the same sized / same style bolts these days, but more expensive with a special coating (stronger against breaking / less chance of rust).

Tips for removing a broken jack bracket bolt ...

The shop guys would remove the camper jacks.

Remove the jack brackets.

Use a small dremel to knotch the tip of the broken jack bracket bolt.

(see attached pictures)

They would use a flat head screwdriver to remove the bolt from that point.

Simple process, as long as you have access to a dremel.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. . . I saw in one of your posts that you had broken off a few bolt heads. How did you fix them? . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 5.JPG

Woodland, CA 95776

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

a couple more pictures ...

Attached Thumbnails

• 6.JPG
  • 8.jpg

Woodland, CA 95776

#9 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

I've had good luck with a product called Rust Bullet. Not cheap by any means, but it does as advertised.
Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:45 AM

I did the strip down and rust bullet method not to long ago..Not holding up to well(roof screws as well). it is extreme here and I prolly could have prepped better..also camper is on and off alot, so paint gets scraped off in process...That said, I'm excited about an alluminium upgrade!!!

Stan, it looks like the hole pattern to the camper on the new alluminium bracket is the same as older years..Is that correct?? If I drill a new hole pattern in my jack extensions I should plug right in...going to do the happy dance now!
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users