18 replies to this topic

#1 KK7OQ

KK7OQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAlbany, Oregon

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed..... What is an easy way to level your camper once you find a nice campsite? I have been using rocks/sticks that are lying around but with limited success. Make some small ramps from 4"X6"? Would two be enough for most situations?

Thanks, Jim

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

Little ramps; exactly. I carry 3 18" sections of 4X6 and a cheap little level from the hardware store. I almost never camp in developed sites and always am able to get 100% level. I use the counter above the fridge for front to back leveling and the aluminum along the rear door threshold for right/left. I almost never use all three, but bring the extra *just* in case.

If you put one block cross ways in front of the tire and the other as a ramp going up you can actually get a TON of adjustability out of the setup.

The wood blocks can also double as makeshift shovels if you need to scrape some dirt away to drop a tire down a little.

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

I like to use the plastic "lego" blocks that you can buy in the RV section at Walmart. They are solid when stacked and are very lightweight.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 CJinCA

CJinCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

I like to use the plastic "lego" blocks that you can buy in the RV section at Walmart. They are solid when stacked and are very lightweight.

Ditto on the Legos (Lynx Levelers). I sometimes drop the pressure in the air bags for quick leveling too. Generally though, I do my damndest to find a level place to park.

Posted Image

#5 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:58 AM

Oh, the airbags - I also carry a small bike pump in my roof box so I can fill them back up after deflating to get it leveled out.

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:20 AM

This is what I used to do:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

(camped near the base of the magnificent Notch Peak on the west side of the House Range in western Utah.)

This is what I do now:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(camped at the mouth of North Twin Creek on the east side of the Toiyabe Range in central Nevada.)

These are 2"x10" (which are wider than necessary, but that's OK), in 3 lengths so that when stacked as needed they form a little ramp tower to make it easy to drive up on.

They're kinda bulky and heavy (though only cost $7 in lumber), and I'd prefer a lighter-weight solution if it was long-lived/durable.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 Steve Scearce

Steve Scearce

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

I too like the Legos. A little spendy, but light weight and easy.
2003 Tundra Access Cab, 1999 Phoenix Coyote, AirLift airbags

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

I mostly don't do anything at all.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 travelingdan

travelingdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

Instead of a bicycle pump, I bought a $20 portable inflator that plugs into a 12v. You can use it to pump up your truck tires, air bags and bicycle tires. I got mine at an auto parts store.

Oh, the airbags - I also carry a small bike pump in my roof box so I can fill them back up after deflating to get it leveled out.

#10 realbtl

realbtl

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationBigfork Montana

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

I've found that trying to use a single say 2x6 ends up splitting. What I do is sandwich two 2x4s side by side between pieces of 1/2 plywood. This seems to fix the splitting problem. With a couple of these and a couple of doubled 2x4s done the same way I can usually get pretty close.
1963 VW Sunroof, 1996 Corvette Convertible (summer) 2004 Ranger, 2008 Subie Legacy GT (snow) 1997 F250 now known as The Big Green Beast Cougar shell picked up 8-28-09, mods begun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users