• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 bluenote

bluenote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:21 AM

Hi, A newbie here. I'm looking to buy a used Tundra and then look for a used Four Wheel Hawk. A friend mentioned to me the fact that the Tundra has a non-boxed frame and I should be concerned with the stress driving off road with a camper. Should I be concerned? Are there mods to compensate for the frame weakness?
Thanks in advance.

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:43 AM

We had a member here who was local to me that had an ATC camper on the previous generation Tundra. He claimed that he was getting bad wobble due to the flexible Tundra frame. He traded the truck in for a newer Tundra and said that while it was better, the frame was still more flexible than he would have liked.

BUT!

Lots of guys here use Tundras and they like them just fine. So I can't say what the final conclusion on the issue is.

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

Hi, A newbie here. I'm looking to buy a used Tundra and then look for a used Four Wheel Hawk. A friend mentioned to me the fact that the Tundra has a non-boxed frame and I should be concerned with the stress driving off road with a camper. Should I be concerned? Are there mods to compensate for the frame weakness?
Thanks in advance.

I have not noticed any flex that I can feel. 2005 Tundra and a 2002 Hawk

My Tundra working off road.

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:28 AM

I've been carrying a Hawk on my 2006 Tundra for the better part of three years and have logged a lot of pretty rough offroad miles with no issues. Fingers crossed for another three years of abuse!

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

When I had my Hawk on a 2000 Tundra....I never noticed any issues with frame flex.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#6 bluenote

bluenote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for all the info. I guess everything is a trade off in some way. I want to go with the Tundra and I don't think the frame will stop me.

#7 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks in advance.

First, flexible does NOT equal weak. I did my homework on this and everyone here can tell you: rigid is not necessarily strong. You have metallurgy to consider, shape, stress points and why the engineers designed in a slightly less rigid frame. Toyota engineers are not morons, they designed the new Tundra to be a "real truck" and not a "7/8ths" truck. They wanted it to tow and haul. Do you think they'd send out a truck, given their reputation with the Tacoma, with a "weak" and incapable frame? They designed the flex into the truck.

Second, on 07 and later models, the frame is partially boxed, partially double-c channel and partially open c. The frame is designed mostly for towing, but it carries weight just fine. I have a 2007 Tundra and can tell you that it doesn't know the camper is there even when offroading. It does flex a little, but I've never had another PU, so I can't tell if it is more or less than other trucks, but it isn't enough to worry me.

Third, if you try to "reiforce" a frame you might cause more problems because in effect you transfer stress points to other places. Engineers design frames a certain way for a reason. FYI, the Sequoia is based on the Tundra platform and while it certainly doesn't need more hauling capacity, they box the same frame. So, Toyota felt the need to make the frame more "stiff" for the Sequoia, but not "stronger" in the workhorse Tundra when the factory was set up to do it anyway! That ought to tell you something about the inherent strength of the frame.

Fourth, if you plan to *seriously* overload a stated payload capacity, then get a 3/4 ton, period. Half tons stated payloads are conservative (see someone on here with a Grandby on an F-150, campers on Tacomas and Durangos; on TundraSolutions.com, someone had a full 2500# camper package on a regular Tundra for a jaunt around the country without problems; and Les on this forum probably had a Tacoma overloaded by 1000lbs without frame issues!), but if you are worried, get a bigger truck.

You should be more worried about passenger rated tires!
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Hey bluenote

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

We have put hundreds & hundreds of campers on the Tundra trucks over the past 10 years.

YES, the truck frame has more flex, but it is OK.

Some people notice the flex it with the camper on, and some don't seem to notice at all.

We have a 2001 Tundra access cab here at our factory with approx. 160,000 "HARD" miles on it.

We have over loaded it and pushed it to its' limits many times.

We just can't seem to kill it, laughs.

As long as you get some good tires for the truck and do a rear suspension upgrade, the truck should handle a small pop-up camper just fine.

I have never hear of any frame problems due to the camper, off road use, or too much flex.

The Toyota trucks are built pretty tough for what they are.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping !

:)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tundra .jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#9 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:42 AM

I think Brett summed it up very well. Let me just add that most heavy duty trucks, including Over-The-Road tractor/trailer rigs have open "C" channel frames. The flexibility of the frame is part of the design of the overall suspension of the truck. Boxed does not neccessarily mean better, nor worse, than "C" channel.

#10 bluenote

bluenote

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:00 AM

Stan@FWC, Thanks for the reply. I feel better about the Tundra now. I cannot afford a new generation Tundra, so I'm looking at '02 - '05.
What rear suspension mods would you guys suggest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users