• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

MOAB, Utah – Officers swarmed a rugged Utah canyon west of Moab Saturday, searching for a man who shot and critically wounded a park ranger.

SWAT teams moved into the canyon near the Colorado River while boats patrolled the banks and a helicopter watched from above. Sharpshooters had surrounded lined the ridges overnight as authorities waited for sunrise to go after the suspect, Grand County Sheriff Jim Nyland said.

The state park law officer was in critical condition after being shot three times Friday night while patrolling the popular Poison Spider Mesa Trail, Parks spokeswoman Deena Loyola said.

Full Article

Now that's pretty scary.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Weird. It'll be interesting to hear the motive.

Anyone want to wager a meth head perhaps?

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:58 PM

There can be some strange ones out there, hope he falls off a cliff.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:28 PM

This is what's going on in my neck of the woods. I have known this girl for about 20 years as she is a neighbor of one of my desert buddies, out in a remote area. She is & has always been a really nutty case. Talks to herself and stands outside of her house and screams to the desert. She has come over to my buddies place at times and completely exposes herself.

L.V. woman arrested for plotting to kill sheriff’s sergeant

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/plotting-23113-sergeant-sheriff.html
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#5 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:21 AM

This is what's going on in my neck of the woods. I have known this girl for about 20 years as she is a neighbor of one of my desert buddies, out in a remote area. She is & has always been a really nutty case. Talks to herself and stands outside of her house and screams to the desert. She has come over to my buddies place at times and completely exposes herself.

L.V. woman arrested for plotting to kill sheriff’s sergeant

http://www.vvdailypress.com/news/plotting-23113-sergeant-sheriff.html

A shame as it certainly seems she is quite mentally ill but until she does something very illegal nothing will be done :(

#6 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

You know, this raises (again) the question in my mind about carrying self protection with me in my camper. I know that there are two sides to this debate. One says, "carrying a gun just causes more problems than it solves". The other says, "when you need protection, you really need a gun". I haven't been able to come to a conclusion on this topic myself. I really don't like guns (unless I'm hunting birds) but what do you all think?
Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

You know, this raises (again) the question in my mind about carrying self protection with me in my camper. I know that there are two sides to this debate. One says, "carrying a gun just causes more problems than it solves". The other says, "when you need protection, you really need a gun". I haven't been able to come to a conclusion on this topic myself. I really don't like guns (unless I'm hunting birds) but what do you all think?
Home Skillet

Here's my view on this and similar situations: Most people have trouble with accurate risk-assessment.

They hear about some horrible or scary situation in the news (crazy ladies, teenage-school-shooters, child-abduction, contaminated meat, planes crashing) and they think, "I gotta protect myself against this -- better safe than sorry!" That seems to make sense...until you think about the real sources -- the likely sources -- of harm in their lives. For example, all of the dangers I listed in parentheses are way, way less-likely to happen to them than the likelihood of them getting in a car accident. That's why these kind of events are in the news -- they're in the news because they're rare. Common events don't make the news -- rare events do. So removing the dangers of crazy ladies or plane-crashing, etc. from their lives has very little reduction in the likelihood of injury since car-accident-risk is so much higher than those rare events.
It makes people think they're doing something worthwhile...but that's just an emotional/feeling outcome, not a real outcome.
And what's wrong with "better safe than sorry" even if the dangers are rare? Because steps taken to be better-safe-than-sorry can/do have side-effects, unintended and/or obvious, sometimes increasing the risk of other/new dangers or even just reducing quality of life by limiting your choices.

I know some people -- maybe most people -- will disagree with me...but that's what I think, and that's how I live my life. Others have the choice to live their lives differently...but I would hope that their choices don't affect my life (e.g., please don't accidentally shoot me because you hear a noise and think I'm the crazy lady) Posted Image Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

Home Skillet

The typical FWC owner likes to camp away from organized campgrounds.....out in the boonies. There is no 911 response. You can't call the police and expect an officer to show up in 5 minutes. Your protection and that of your family/friends is up to you. I would rather have options available for self protection. The amount of protection I feel appropriate varies by camping location.

Last year I spent the entire month of January camping out near the Mexican border in Arizona. The country was beautiful and I'll have good memories from that trip for years to come but it wasn't all roses. The amount of crime down there is appalling. There are illegal immigrant smugglers, drug smugglers and banditos (who shoot the drug mules and steal their drugs).

I camped in a remote area and was visited often by Border Patrol officers. It made me feel good that they checked up on me regularly. They knew I was camped alone and suggested that I always "carry" while hiking down there. One officer went further and suggested that "something with a high-capacity magazine would be preferable." Luckily, having heard about the situation down there I was prepared. Attached is a picture of the "Security Section" of my Hawk.

I always try to stay alert about my surroundings. One day during the trip I was camped about 3 miles North of the Mexican border when I ran into 3 guys that just gave me the creeps. They were all armed...and they all noticed (I watched their eyes) that I was carrying. We had a brief conversation and I felt that they were scoping me out. Two of them even followed me (from quite a distance) back to my camp. They spooked me enough that I broke camp and relocated about 20 miles away. I don't know if I was over sensitive or not....but relocating camp made me feel a lot better. Stay alert out there!

Attached Thumbnails

• Hawk_security_section.JPG

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#9 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Attached is a picture of the "Security Section" of my Hawk.

[size="2"]

We live next to a huge expanse of BLM land and far enough out that it would take the Sheriff too long to get here I have taken the concealed carry course and have a few crime deterrents.
Posted Image
I still think I'll avoid the border, too much craziness and you might end up in jail for protecting yourself from a drug mule.

#10 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 27 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

I am prohibited "Federally" from owning a weapon because I carry a Colorado State-issued medical marijuana card.
(you KNOW how crazy violent us potheads are so it makes sense, right?) Posted Image

I should intro you guys to my brother. I think he has every assualt weapon/grenade launcher/automatic weapon ever made. Scares the Hell out of me.

"happiness is a warm gun....bang, bang, shoot, shoot..."Posted Image

be safe

mtn

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users